Sponsored

School me on the steering TSB, had it done, and now truck sucks.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I know the majority of you with crappy steering problems sing great praises of the TSB steering gear upgrade. Some of you with so so gears also sing praises.
I always thought my August 08/20 build with aluminum gear was pretty good and no where near as bad as some others always say.

I got the best of me and asked about it during a jeepwave oil change. They ordered the parts and had me come in a couple days later. I figure what the heck, new part, most love it, what do I have to lose? Got it done this past friday, and ever since, my truck has been a chore to drive. I honestly wish I never did it and still had my aluminum gear that I honestly thought was fine. I just wanted to see if maybe I was used to it and it really could be that much better!

Had it done friday, steering def feels more heavy and tight, but now I notice that I have to leave the steering wheel turned to the left for my truck to go straight. Ok, so I thought maybe drag link? Well nope, if I allow the truck to go on its on with no hands on the wheel, the steering wheel goes centered and my truck drifts to the right. So I have a constant right pull, and I have to drive with the wheel turned to the left. Its honestly very tiring.

So i took it back and they scheduled me to have an alignment done, and my steering wheel recentered. Took it today, they said it was done. GREAT!
Got in it, drove through the parking lot, ok it does feel a little better.

Get out for a good test around 50 miles or so round trip. HELL NO, same dang thing. Still pulling to the right and I have to hold the wheel to the left. Let the wheel go straight and my truck heads for the other lane.

Call them back again today and the guy that answered said maybe I need an alignment and to bring it by tomorrow and I can get someone to ride with me and show them.

Am I missing something? The papers I get back from the dealership are not very descriptive on what they did each time.
Could the software update being missed cause this pull to the right?

I loved my truck before the TSB. Now I dont even want to drive the thing since last Friday because it sucks so bad.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They can't really do anything other than set toe and center the wheel. They can't "do an alignment" - they can check. So it's no wonder that after they "did an alignment" there's still a pull. Toe unless it's waay off won't cause that, and the steering wheel off center has to be off by more than 2 or 3 degrees to trigger the vehicle into thinking stability control is needed.

Frankly, I'd take it back with the TSB and tell them you are complaining that that since the last line of page 1 of the TSB says "if the customer complains, do this" - you are requesting they fix it as per TSB.

They also need to check it per this TSB...........

Attachments

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
Thanks ShadowsPapa, I need to do this myself, and could not be sure where to look for info!

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They can't really do anything other than set toe and center the wheel. They can't "do an alignment" - they can check. So it's no wonder that after they "did an alignment" there's still a pull. Toe unless it's waay off won't cause that, and the steering wheel off center has to be off by more than 2 or 3 degrees to trigger the vehicle into thinking stability control is needed.

Frankly, I'd take it back with the TSB and tell them you are complaining that that since the last line of page 1 of the TSB says "if the customer complains, do this" - you are requesting they fix it as per TSB.

They also need to check it per this TSB...........
Thanks for those PDF's. They say they are familiar with the TSB and knew about all the steps, but I am wondering if maybe the software update didnt get done, or something else is missed. OR maybe I am one of the ones to just get a bad new box.

hivol13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
There have been several reports of replacement boxes being "bad" if you read through all of the posts. I would certainly take it back and let them know it's still not fixed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There have been several reports of replacement boxes being "bad" if you read through all of the posts. I would certainly take it back and let them know it's still not fixed.
i started reading, but only got to page 70 so far out of 180 something. Lots of reading to do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced last fall. It was better for a while then got worse over the winter - worse than the ORIGINAL steering gear! They replaced it again for me this spring and it's been great. 2nd time was a charm in my case. They said "internal fault" on the paperwork. It wandered badly.

hivol13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
I had mine replaced last fall. It was better for a while then got worse over the winter - worse than the ORIGINAL steering gear! They replaced it again for me this spring and it's been great. 2nd time was a charm in my case. They said "internal fault" on the paperwork. It wandered badly.
I lucked out on my first replacement. It was soon much better than my original box. My wife wouldn't drive the Jeep it wandered so bad.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sitting back at the dealership again this morning. I love the service advisor I deal with here. Very patient and doesnt make you feel like you are being annoying.

Anyway, gonna take someone on a ride with me this morning. Gonna try to get a printout of all they have done too. We will see what happens now that I am on 3rd trip back.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sitting back at the dealership again this morning. I love the service advisor I deal with here. Very patient and doesnt make you feel like you are being annoying.

Anyway, gonna take someone on a ride with me this morning. Gonna try to get a printout of all they have done too. We will see what happens now that I am on 3rd trip back.
I have also decided to go ahead and send JeepCares a message as well with my issues. Whatever help that may be.

Sponsored

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Can I steal this thread for a second to ask what it feels like to have the bad steering box? Tight? Wandering? Thanks.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can I steal this thread for a second to ask what it feels like to have the bad steering box? Tight? Wandering? Thanks.
You can, but there is a huge 180 something page on it in the TSB section.
I mainly created this for tips and tricks and things to check after having the TSB done, what is involved and what to check.

Initial concerns with bad boxes are wandering, pulls, loose steering etc.
If you had a very late 2020 build or a 2021 you more than likely have the new gear. It will be black instead of a silver aluminum gear.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Thanks.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so they just came back and are trying to tell me all is in spec and all looks good and that is has to be road crown or the 34.5 tires. That is not true, because this did not start until Friday after the new gear was installed.
I told them everything was fine on Friday before the new gear, there was no sign of pull. Just only a hair wonder / looseness in steering. Now its a constant right pull fight.

At first they told me sorry, not much else they can do. I would be ok with that, but it didnt start until the TSB update for steering.
I did go back in to the office and tell them I dont agree. They are asking me to bring it in on Tuesday 7/13 in the morning to have one of the "best guys" look at it. To quote "if he thinks its tires, then its tires". Not true, it didnt do that before friday. So does this also means that their other techs are subpar?

The dealer has been great so far, i just dont agree with their answer now after looking at this the 3rd time since 7/2. The 2 people that drove it agree that is has a pull.
Sponsored