First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 J-3600 Gladiator. 2021 Willys Sport
Occupation
retired
anyone used the electronic sonic devices that claim to deter rodents? my 4wd is down due to a break in the harness and the dealer is stumped. imagine that... they fixed what they could find and still no joy.

i use peppermint spray, but with wet weather not sure of the effect.

the harness has a fabric weave on it so i figure to save a buck they used fiat clown car wiring.

still fine to drive with no 4wd butt they couldn't even turn off the warning light " serv
4wd"
pretty disgusted right now. CLOWN CAR TECH!!!

won't be buying another anytime soon!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
anyone used the electronic sonic devices that claim to deter rodents? my 4wd is down due to a break in the harness and the dealer is stumped. imagine that... they fixed what they could find and still no joy.

i use peppermint spray, but with wet weather not sure of the effect.

the harness has a fabric weave on it so i figure to save a buck they used fiat clown car wiring.

still fine to drive with no 4wd butt they couldn't even turn off the warning light " serv
4wd"
pretty disgusted right now. CLOWN CAR TECH!!!

won't be buying another anytime soon!
Forget those things. Forget moth balls, forget dryer sheets.
Soak cotton balls in peppermint oil and keep it fresh every couple of days or so.
I've been through years of experiences with mice and rats........ I used to farm and had to keep 'em out of the combine, grain buildings, seed corn, etc.
The sonic devices are snake oil.
I've had mice make nests out of dryer sheets and have babies in said nest - and they all but left notes thanking me for the bedding material. Same with moth balls - they walked and nested around them as if they weren't there.
But peppermint OIL dropped onto moth balls did help with my 2004 WJ when mice decided to chew insulation off wires under the hood.
The problem is that if you don't keep it fresh, the effect disappears and mice get used to it.

Jeep Gladiator sonic mouse repel gadgets 1684376875241

Jeep Gladiator sonic mouse repel gadgets 1684376895229

I suspect they are referring to household ammonia............if you want to get dangerous, try ammonium hydroxide. You need to wear gloves, a face shield and a mask that filters such things or you'll end up very ill. Just opening the bottle can cause you to not be able to breathe.
I use it in my plating baths to raise the pH and a few drops is about all I can handle putting in the tank unless I have a mask on.

Outback_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Civil Engineer
I don't know where your rodent problem is but if its under the hood keep the hood open. I park inside and have already had one attack on the engine bay hood liner. If I keep the hoods open no problem they don't like open areas where they feel open to attack.

I also use a product called Animal Stopper, its for gardens and other areas where you have rodents. I place some in a small plastic box with holes in the top and place it under the seat. Hard to beat these little buggers, good luck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know where your rodent problem is but if its under the hood keep the hood open. I park inside and have already had one attack on the engine bay hood liner. If I keep the hoods open no problem they don't like open areas where they feel open to attack.

I also use a product called Animal Stopper, its for gardens and other areas where you have rodents. I place some in a small plastic box with holes in the top and place it under the seat. Hard to beat these little buggers, good luck.
That's one reason it is advised in our area - DO NOT cover your outside AC unit. A lot of people put "winter covers" or tarps or whatever over their AC outside unit that sits on or near the ground thinking they'll protect it from winter snow and ice. Better to let the snow and ice to it than give those nasty filthy obnoxious little creatures safe haven in a nice cozy AC unit all covered up and safe.
More people have to have wiring replaced, or other repairs done, in the spring because they covered it in the winter than those who never cover them.

You probably mean these products:

https://www.messinas.com/animal-stoppers-page

I've not had good luck with the deer stopper (Iowa deer are crazy and used to people and chemicals) or the rodent stopper and I've tried to keep chipmunks away with zero luck, but man, that mole stopper - it helped when I had moles burrowing under the above ground pool we used to have and causing trouble. Where I put that, no more moles. Too bad it would be so expensive to cover our whole acreage with it or I'd be all over it.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Soak cotton balls in peppermint oil and keep it fresh every couple of days or so.
Moved into our KY home late last summer. Within the first few days my wife had peppermint oil cotton balls all over the exterior to combat the wasps & hornets in and around our soffits and mice around points of entry. She puts about 5 or 6 drops of pure oil on them. I spent a decent part of a weekend knocking down old nests etc. It worked wonderfully. She's since filled a little spritz type spray bottle, a tiny thing, with pure oil and simply refreshes them about once a month. Zero new nests up this spring, I am still pretty shocked at how effective it is.

OP
OP
timwiller

timwiller

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 J-3600 Gladiator. 2021 Willys Sport
Occupation
retired
thanks everyone. the service guy at the dealer said go sonic and even gave me an ad for them.?.?

anyway i am using peppermint spray when i park it after a trip at the least and lots of mouse bait..............
Sponsored