Sponsored

Sport S black wheels. How to dull finish?

Jonb1032

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Hardrock
Occupation
Letter carrier
I have a Sport S. Was trying to find a set of rubicon take offs, but I’m starting to like the solid black wheels. But they have a super gloss shine. Is there anyway to dull the finish, without looking horrible. I don’t mean paint more like using a gentle abrasive to knock the high gloss down a bit. There the same size and material as a rubicon, seems a shame to not use them.

859C0B81-B27F-4182-B38C-7AC7D37D30FA.png
Sponsored

Staphylococcus0

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gecko Gladiator, aka Ostentatious.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Machinist
Couldn't you just spray them with a flat clear?

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
I have a Sport S. Was trying to find a set of rubicon take offs, but I’m starting to like the solid black wheels. But they have a super gloss shine. Is there anyway to dull the finish, without looking horrible. I don’t mean paint more like using a gentle abrasive to knock the high gloss down a bit. There the same size and material as a rubicon, seems a shame to not use them.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S black wheels. How to dull finish? 859C0B81-B27F-4182-B38C-7AC7D37D30FA
I believe that there is clear coat on top of the paint. YES you could use RED scuff pads (body shops use them all the time) and that would knock down the gloss. Go lightly and hope not to break thru the clear coat.
I suggest a visit to a local body shop and discuss with the manager what process would they suggest to "dull" the finish.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd clear-coat them. Eastwood makes a fantastic clear in satin I've used on restorations - it also resists brake fluid, etc. (not totally resistant but I've seen brake fluid drip on it without removing it)

You can try scuffing - assuming it's a clear coat over the black you may want to be careful and not go to hard on them.
Sponsored