Steering issues

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
She has a sense of humor and no insecurity. She likes being my muse.
Even if that were true, it is still no excuse for being so disrespectful to anyone in a public forum. It was not funny.
Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Even if that were true, it is still no excuse for being so disrespectful to anyone in a public forum. It was not funny.
If you thought my humor wasn’t funny, you really wouldn’t like hers. Both of us do not apologize for freedom of thought and expression for the sake of your feels. Public or otherwise. But we appreciate your right to your opinion. We served our country for you to have it. Chill.

Sweet looking Mohave there Jason!

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
If you thought my humor wasn’t funny, you really wouldn’t like hers. Both of us do not apologize for freedom of thought and expression for the sake of your feels. Public or otherwise. But we appreciate your right to your opinion. We served our country for you to have it. Chill.

Sweet looking Mohave there Jason!
I appreciate and respect your response and your service. I had my say and so did you, and nothing more was implied nor expected.

I wish more conversations could be had like this where opinions are shared without things going off the rails.

Thank you.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Unfortunately I haven't gotten into the dealer yet, couldn't get an appointment that worked with my schedule and the bad weather. When I'm reading folks saying they run 36-38 psi, they are always referring to cold tire pressure, correct? That's what I'm assuming. So at 33 psi cold, which is where I am now, I might be running a little low. I might for shites and grins try adding 3 or 4 psi cold per tire and see what happens, but I still have to get into the dealer. Thanks for the comments.
I wouldn't be so focused on this psi if it's pretty even around, 33 won't hurt you except maybe some gas mileage. I'm running the same tires on a '20 Sport S at around the same psi with an updated steering gear and am not all over the place like you describe. I'm thinking maybe one of those tires isn't balanced, maybe something is loose and needs to be retourqed somewhere, or maybe you have a 21 with an old box and you can get the tsb. If it was built before early August, it would have the old box. Good luck, hopefully it's not too hard to find an answer

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
I wouldn't be so focused on this psi if it's pretty even around, 33 won't hurt you except maybe some gas mileage. I'm running the same tires on a '20 Sport S at around the same psi with an updated steering gear and am not all over the place like you describe. I'm thinking maybe one of those tires isn't balanced, maybe something is loose and needs to be retourqed somewhere, or maybe you have a 21 with an old box and you can get the tsb. If it was built before early August, it would have the old box. Good luck, hopefully it's not too hard to find an answer
Yeah it's weird I just float back and forth down the highway. I gotta get it in to the dealer. If one of the tires weren't balanced or something was loose I would think I would have more of a shimmy or vibration of some kind vs. just wandering behind the white lines. I don't think I have an old box, as mine was built in 10/2020. Anyway thanks for the brainstorming, I'll update everyone once I can get it in to the dealer. Thanks again.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up my 2021 Gladiator Sport S between Christmas and New Years. The steering is terrible, I'm all over the road, I can barely keep it between the white lines. It's taken all of the fun out of driving it. I found several videos on installing the Synergy front track & sector shaft brace which folks seem to have had great success with and I was about ready to order it. Then I ran across a few threads and posts where some folks are getting the dealer to fix the problem under warranty but I'm not sure if my '21 would qualify. Anyone have experience recently with a '21 JT having steering issues that the dealer fixed or is it just the '20 models that are getting fixed? Thanks.
Have not had any steering issues at highway speeds. That being said, I am thinking of bolting on a brace myself just as a preventative measure for my 4 month old 2021 Sport.

I hope things work out for you.

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
Have not had any steering issues at highway speeds. That being said, I am thinking of bolting on a brace myself just as a preventative measure for my 4 month old 2021 Sport.

I hope things work out for you.
Thanks.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yeah it's weird I just float back and forth down the highway. I gotta get it in to the dealer. If one of the tires weren't balanced or something was loose I would think I would have more of a shimmy or vibration of some kind vs. just wandering behind the white lines. I don't think I have an old box, as mine was built in 10/2020. Anyway thanks for the brainstorming, I'll update everyone once I can get it in to the dealer. Thanks again.
Have you had an alignment done? Really all they can check is the toe, but it may be worth having it checked. Besides that, I'd put jacks under the front axle so the weight is on the suspension, then loosen and retorque the front track bar.

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
Have you had an alignment done? Really all they can check is the toe, but it may be worth having it checked. Besides that, I'd put jacks under the front axle so the weight is on the suspension, then loosen and retorque the front track bar.
No haven't had one done. I've just got to get it in to the dealer and have them look at everything. If I get under there and start messing around who knows what kind of havoc I could create, better let the real mechanics deal with it. Thanks for you input.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
Finally made it to the dealer. They put on a new steering damper. Didn't do a thing to help with the wandering all over the place. Still too much slop in the steering. So I guess I will have to go with the Synergy Front Track Bar & Sector Shaft Brace. They couldn't even fix the static issue with the AM stations on the radio. So I'm not even going to try and take the JT back to the dealer for the steering issue, I'll just bite the bullet and go with the Synergy bar and brace.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Finally made it to the dealer. They put on a new steering damper. Didn't do a thing to help with the wandering all over the place. Still too much slop in the steering. So I guess I will have to go with the Synergy Front Track Bar & Sector Shaft Brace. They couldn't even fix the static issue with the AM stations on the radio. So I'm not even going to try and take the JT back to the dealer for the steering issue, I'll just bite the bullet and go with the Synergy bar and brace.
I have a 2021 Sport S Max Tow and can't say I wander, though I'm curious about conditions around yours. Is it bump steer or a problem on the smoothest of roads? What speed are you going? I do great at 65, hate life when driving on a curvy road at 70 or above.

I've ordered a Teraflex Steering Stabilizer which is supposed to help with a lot of that jerkiness, but I'm also ordering their shocks because I feel like the Rubicon shocks I put on mine just bounce me all over.

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
I have a 21 JTR and not that bad a steering to be a cause of concern. Did you check whether yours has the black steering box as opposed to shiny aluminium. If so, then yes, likely a sector shaft brace and trackbar should help.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I put 35s on today and aired them up to 37psi. The stock tires were at 42. I don’t know if it’s the different tire, the bigger tire, or the lower PSI, but my wander is at least 50-60% improved.

OP
OP
Bobbyfanman17

Bobbyfanman17

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep Gladiator
My Gladiator would just float back and forth between the white lines, just like I had way too much play in the steering wheel. After replacing the steering damper I took it back in to the dealer and they replaced the steering box, even though since it's a new 2021 I'm sure I already had the newer box. I also aired down the tires, still drove like crap. It wasn't enjoyable to drive, so much so I sold it yesterday to a company out of Texas. I'm looking to get a GMC Sierra, need to get it soon as I literally don't have a vehicle, I'm driving my granddaughter's car. So I will be signing off on this forum, good luck to all you jeep folks, enjoy and be safe.
Sponsored