First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2018 Ram 2500
Occupation
retired
I have had my Gladiator Sport for one year and a couple days ago I decided to lock the tailgate. I turned the key in the lock and nothing happened, no resistance, no click. I removed the tailgate panel which covers the latch and key. The latching mechanism was there, but nothing for the lock.
I called 2 dealerships and the parts departments had no idea what part was missing. I could probably install the darn thing, but now I will have to go to a deanship to be told "yep, it's not there."
I am thinking the lock is probably part of the latch system and can't be purchased separately. Any of y'all ever been the tailgate and can tell me what is missing?
Sponsored

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
Same thing happened to my 2020 Base Sport. I took everything apart and found the plastic piece that I circled in yellow just popped off the central spindle. I found it inside the tailgate body and just popped it back on. Just gotta make sure all the locking mechanisms are in their right places when you pop it back on. The metal throws have to be in the right places to move the plastic pieces around so they engage the lock. Kinda helps to know a little about how lock internals function.

64079153392__2ABB76B0-19A8-403E-9472-5978143E5B2C.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

OP
OP

Sanganois

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2018 Ram 2500
Occupation
retired
That is the missing part. I went to the truck and removed the tailgate panels. It was not there. The silver colored vertical piece at 4 o'clock is there and in conjunction with your picture shows me how it works. Off to the dealership tomorrow. Unlikely that it is a individual part available for purchase.
Thank you, your reply. It was very helpful.

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
That is the missing part. I went to the truck and removed the tailgate panels. It was not there. The silver colored vertical piece at 4 o'clock is there and in conjunction with your picture shows me how it works. Off to the dealership tomorrow. Unlikely that it is a individual part available for purchase.
Thank you, your reply. It was very helpful.
See if you can look down in the corners inside the tailgate body. That’s where mine was. I used a pair of long needle nose pliers and went in through the backup camera panel. You can also remove the tailgate entirely and turn it upside down and maybe shake it loose

Sponsored

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
I had the same issue with mine. They replaced the whole lock assy.

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
Just went out to check mine and thankfully it works fine. 👍

GotGladiator

First Name