Sponsored

MojitoWrangler

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Z28 R/S
A year or so ago i was talking to a JEEP engineer here in metro Detroit about if the truck would have an electric locked tailgate and if so how would Jeep address the issue of if you had your doors off and i was told at the time that they were going to set it up so that the tailgate would only unlock if the key was either in the ignition or if you had the remote proximity entry option, it would detect it the key fob when you walked up.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Thanks for those comments. Zoom in on any picture of the tailgate handle and you will also see a key hole. So it looks like it could also be locked and unlocked with a key.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ Rubicon
The current Jeep’s tailgate is a timed lock. I assume it will carry over to the JT. If you lock your doors even with the top off after a set amount of time, the door unlock/lock buttons power “off”. So hitting them by reaching into the cab does not accomplish anything.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
That’s good to hear. Sounds like Jeep puts some good thought into their vehicles.

Jimbos

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Civic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Oh and FYI there is no tailgate lock on the Honda Ridgeline. Sure the trunk in the bed area can be locked but not the tailgate itself. So it does no good to put a locking tonneau cover on the Ridgeline.

For now I gotta give a little credit to Jeep as they do have lock on the tailgate. Fifty million dollar question remains: Does it work independently from the side door locking system?
My Ridgeline trunk had a lock but the tailgate didn’t. Years ago, I owned a Triumph sports car where the door locks didn’t work. Nevertheless, the thief cut the top to pull the head unit.
Sponsored