JKLivin833

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Hi everyone,

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a tonneau for the Gladiator. I pick the truck up Saturday and don’t want to waste time. I thought I wanted the MOPAR Soft Tri-food, but it seems that the material is a shiny vinyl from some pics. I want something that will match my premium sun rider soft top. I’m looking for suggestions. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Katch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green olive Rubicon, Walker Bay RIB and a couple Aprilias
Hi everyone,

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a tonneau for the Gladiator. I pick the truck up Saturday and don’t want to waste time. I thought I wanted the MOPAR Soft Tri-food, but it seems that the material is a shiny vinyl from some pics. I want something that will match my premium sun rider soft top. I’m looking for suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I installed a Rugged Ridge Hard rolling tonneau a couple weeks ago. It matches the premium soft top perfectly. I made a bracket in order to install it without the cargo rail.

Steve

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Hi everyone,

Bestop is coming out with a cover in black twill that should match your top.

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
The roll up soft one that came with my Gladiator is not shiny at all. They also had the 3 piece hard folding one at dealership and I wouldn't call it shiny either (although I didn't like the 3 piece design).

I do see the picture online for the mopar looks shiny. Mine is not.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I have the OEM rollup cover, it's a Sunbrella-type fabric and not at all shiny. It's the same fabric used on the JK premium top (I haven't seen a Gladiator soft top, assume it's the same too).

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really like the OEM nice and flat on the bed and easy to take off when I don't want (just 2 bolts on the rear of bed). Very clean and works well. And happy to know the 2 bolts work with the factory tool kit ratchet.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I agree, I'm liking this cover a lot. The only downside is a lack of security for the bed contents. If that's a concern, then the only answer is a metal cover.

I think the OEM cover is beautiful on this truck.

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the camp of - its a cloth top cover …. lockable means nothing (I'd rather them pry it up if they really want to get in vs. ripping it). And you really have to know that it is pryable at the tailgate as to me it is pretty darn tight there.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Wait, there are people suggesting you lock the cloth cover?? In some areas, people leave soft-top Jeeps unlocked just to avoid someone cutting the top.

I've had a truck with a locking metal cover, and that was peace of mind for expensive stuff in the bed. I live in a really safe area though and just don't worry about it any more.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Security is an issue with the stock Tonneau, especially with the added insecurity of the soft top. I went with the Rugged Ridge Armis with Line-X. The line-x matches the bedliner and is super tough, so, you can put stuff on it without scratching it. Security is also very good. I love mine. Here are some pics.

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric InJbNs

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric 3cAzuH

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric 4UNelB

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric v5jBVx

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric pxias1

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric zWnoMs

Last edited:

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice picture

And yes …. I have seen a ton of complaints online that the soft top is not lockable. I actually thought it locked the way it holds firmly in when you close the tailgate - but you supposedly can pry it up (I actually haven't tried). I prefer it not lock.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
You can easily open it with the tailgate closed. I do that all the time, more often than opening the tailgate. Anyone who would like to lock a soft tonneau cover is unqualified to be out in public alone without a helmet.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Nice picture

And yes …. I have seen a ton of complaints online that the soft top is not lockable. I actually thought it locked the way it holds firmly in when you close the tailgate - but you supposedly can pry it up (I actually haven't tried). I prefer it not lock.
You can add a modification to the stock Tonneau to make it more secure. I did this to mine before I bought the tri-fold Rugged Ridge. Basically, you add a gate latch from Lowe's to each side of the tonneau and that slides into an existing hole in the bed. It works good when the truck is stationary and does require that a thief cut the cloth to get in the bed. here are a few pics. I painted mine black, but, the paint peeled.

You just drill a hole in the aluminum structure and thread the gate lock in until the right length is achieved. Make sure you put something behind the aluminum so you do not drill through the cloth.

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric 5RKceA

Jeep Gladiator Tonneau Fabric H5OU6Z