Sponsored

Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow?

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
The tow weight of a boat is very rear distributed because that;s where the engines are. The amount of weight actually on the tongue is hardly anything. This configuration usually creates problems with trailer sway, not towing capacity, and this will be experienced the same with max tow or not. A good sway control hitch it also my first recommendation. If you want to be talking into the max tow, go for it, but I think the standard tow package will be perfectly fine.
Sponsored

mmulroy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Considering purchase of a Max Tow S or Overland. Does anyone have confidence in the Overland to tow a 21 bowrider and double axle trailer? I've been thinking that I need the Max Tow Sport S for months , but I've seen several Overlands going for good prices and dont want to pass on one if I see another.
I do know the towing specs of each , and I dont think my boat and trailer would exceed 5000lbs . I just know that just because it says it can tow it doesn't mean it won't be a handful !
I town an 18' bowrider, roughly 3000 lbs, with my Overland. No issues.

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
Does anyone else use an overland to haul a boat or anything the weight of a ski boat? Just needing an Overland owner's perspective /experience
I tow a 22 foot Zodiac RIB weights 3100 lbs, no issues 3:73 gears on 33s
Jeep Gladiator Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow? E9004915-4A68-40FC-8CCC-34081DB7A601

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
From the Jeep website - hazard a guess this is a Rubicon?
Jeep Gladiator Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow? 008-jeep-gladiator-diesel-overland-edition

Hosstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have a non Max Tow Sport with the tow package. I tow my 22ft pontoon with it. You do notice the boat behind you but it tows it fine. My pontoon may be a bit lighter but by no means aerodynamic.
Jeep Gladiator Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow? JT and Bennie2

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I had a hard time finding a Max Tow in my area. So, this happened. No help with the Overland question, but the Rubi tows my fat pig old boat nicely. 20' with a V8.

20200621_114639.jpg

Reactions: KVJ

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I had a hard time finding a Max Tow in my area. So, this happened. No help with the Overland question, but the Rubi tows my fat pig old boat nicely. 20' with a V8.
What is the tongue weight on that? Seems like there is some squat in the rear.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
Jeep Gladiator Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow? 1B8C1514-52E1-459A-88B7-AB2189CFAE17

This is a Sport S with the standard Tow Package and 3.73 gears.
The boat, a Yamaha 242X, weighs 6000 pounds as pictured. I hooked them up for a test drive, because I just had to know...

The tongue weight settled the hitch height by 4.5”. It did “fine” on flat ground, traveling at 55 mph. It felt ”unsettled” at higher speeds on the Interstate. I have had a 2500 or better tow vehicle since the 90’s, and I have a CDL-A. As such, my opinion may be skewed, because it has been a long time since I have been pushed around by a trailer.
I would not have any hesitation to tow it locally, but not on the highway for long distances.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, the next two pics will show the towing plan. The Jeep will take care of the Jet skis, and the big boat will be behind the GMC dually, with a LBZ Duramax, deleted, tuned, and 5” exhaust...
Jeep Gladiator Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow? 54ADA79F-C182-44C1-BE43-A8E42D2A0CE1

Jeep Gladiator Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow? 395D4259-F461-4D3E-85AC-754AF27CEA27
Sponsored