• Lift, put on stock JL H/Ts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
My EcoD Gladiator is currently sitting on a set of 315/70R17s on stock wheels. Have an ~8000 mile trip planned this summer (MA -> Yellowstone -> Yosemite -> Grand Canyon -> MA) towing a ~3500# camper (loaded up). Just got my Mopar 2" lift in.

Was originally planning on putting a spare set of stock JL H/Ts (leftover from my parents) to save on mileage.

Should I roll with:
  1. No lift, put on stock JL H/Ts
  2. Lift, put on stock JL H/Ts
  3. Lift, keep 315s on
Not sure how it'll tow with a 2" lift. Already installed some SumoSprings, have a WDH, trailer brake controller, etc.
Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I don't know which way you should roll, but I'm going to be pulling the same weight trailer here in about 2 weeks (at 5k feet altitude). I already have the Mopar 2" lift installed and rolling on BFG KO2 37's (which measure quite a bit less under load).

I'm not the least bit worried that the diesel will be able to handle it. Will mileage suffer? Absolutely Will it shift mostly without overdrive? Probably but weighing the cost of a regear for the 6-12 times a year I will tow a camper it's not really worth it.

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I don't know which way you should roll, but I'm going to be pulling the same weight trailer here in about 2 weeks (at 5k feet altitude). I already have the Mopar 2" lift installed and rolling on BFG KO2 37's (which measure quite a bit less under load).

I'm not the least bit worried that the diesel will be able to handle it. Will mileage suffer? Absolutely Will it shift mostly without overdrive? Probably but weighing the cost of a regear for the 6-12 times a year I will tow a camper it's not really worth it.
Yeah, I'm not concerned too much about engine output/power, I guess I'm looking more along will I be white-knuckling a majority of the time, is it going to be unstable, etc.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
You’ll be perfectly fine as long as your WDH and brake controller are set up correctly. Your diesel will pull far better that my gaser, and this is what I pull (6800 lbs loaded):

Jeep Gladiator Towing with Mopar 2" lift or wait? 3BB1EB63-A155-4822-8C25-65A9ECF4CBA6

I have a max tow w 285/75r17s and a 2” spacer lift with rubicon shocks and front springs. I don’t drive over 60, usually stay at 55 (tire rating) and have mirror extensions and rear view camera (a must).

edit: is yours a dual axel? If only single I heard they can get sketchy close to 4k, whereas the dual axel trailers tend to be more stable and track straighter. Many say to go with the 4.5-5k lb trailer because you get the dual axels...

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Yeah, I'm not concerned too much about engine output/power, I guess I'm looking more along will I be white-knuckling a majority of the time, is it going to be unstable, etc.
I have been watching for others on the forum with these same questions, granted they are all gassers but that only affects their ability to pull the load easily.

There's a good thread here where someone towed with 37's and a lift: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/just-for-anyone-wondering-about-37’s-towing.35465/

Sponsored

OP
OP
FutureOdin

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
edit: is yours a dual axel? If only single I heard they can get sketchy close to 4k, whereas the dual axel trailers tend to be more stable and track straighter. Many say to go with the 4.5-5k lb trailer because you get the dual axels...
Mine is a single axle, will probably be around 3500 lbs loaded.

bobjohnson26

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Grey JT
I tow a 23' trailer - fully loaded it weighs about 5500 lbs. Tow it on the 2" MOPAR lift and 35" tires. Have towed it about 2300 miles so far and it worked very well!
Sponsored