Sponsored

Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels??

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
We live in WI and while out with the motorhome this winter we traded our tow vehicle, a Wrangler Sport Unlimited, for a new Gladiator Rubicon. We originally purchased the Wrangler days before we took off with the motorhome in January 2017, It had 35's and a lift ... don't even know what size the lift was, the manufacturer, etc. It was on the lot, looked nice so we bought it to flat tow behind our 45' Class A motorhome. We had the dealer put on a Blue Ox baseplate, install the wiring and away we went.

While in FL this past March we purchased the JTR and had a 3rd party put on the baseplate and install the wiring kit. Towed it back to WI with no problems.

We are considering having a lift, larger wheels and tires installed on the JTR. The current thought is:

Lift: Metalcloak Game Changer 3.5" suspension lift​
Wheels: 20x12 wheels​
Tires: 38/15.50R20 Milestar Patagonia M/T​

Has anybody flat towed a JTR with a lift and larger tires and wheels? Any issues?

Appreciate any guidance, suggestions, comments, etc.

Jim
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You should be fine. Just make sure your tow bar is flat with the ground. You may need a raised/flat hitch bar instead of a drop hitch if thats what your using. You did not mention supplimental braking. You will most likely need to increase the firmness of the brake system with added weight of the lift and tires.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Just make sure your good with your weights. Most gas rvs max out at 5,000. I tow on a lift. It’s only a 2.5 on 35s but hasn’t been an issue. Go to irv2.com. Lots of good info there.

OP
OP
Jtschnel

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be fine. Just make sure your tow bar is flat with the ground. You may need a raised/flat hitch bar instead of a drop hitch if thats what your using. You did not mention supplimental braking. You will most likely need to increase the firmness of the brake system with added weight of the lift and tires.
Thank you for the input. Right now the tow bar is lower at the Jeep than the motorhome by about an inch or two. I figure I’ll need to raise the tow bar connection at the motorhome once the lift and tires are on.

OP
OP
Jtschnel

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just make sure your good with your weights. Most gas rvs max out at 5,000. I tow on a lift. It’s only a 2.5 on 35s but hasn’t been an issue. Go to irv2.com. Lots of good info there.
Thanks for the heads up. In our case we’ve ended up with a 15000 lb hitch capacity and the Blue Ox tow bar is rated at 10,000. Motorhome is a big sucker, 45’ diesel pusher ... not sure what the heck we were thinking! Weight should not be a problem. My latest concern is getting it into the garage when done. Previous Jeep was like yours, 2,5 on 35’s - no problem.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We need pictures of this beast!

OP
OP
Jtschnel

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still haven't put it together, got focused on other things but hope to have configuration finalized by next week. One concern is making it into the garage ... looks like if I don't put a light bar on, I should just make it. Another concern is the 3 1/2" Metalcloak lift. I've heard that after the initial installation it can actually approach 4 1/2" until everything "settles". Anybody experience that with their MetalCloack lifts?

OP
OP
Jtschnel

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok .... it’s finally gone into the shop for lift, shocks, tires, wheels, rock lights, winch, and Amp Research Powersteps. I’m waiting until that’s complete to see how much clearance I have getting into the garage for a top of windshield mounted light bar. Instead of long rectangular led light bar, I was thinking of something like the KC Gravity Pro6 LED light bar if it’d fit in the garage ... almost a little retro these days.

I also ordered the Synergy sector shaft brace from 4WD.com. Took my credit card just fine but after finding out from a friend they’re supposedly on back order for who knows how long, I’ve not been able to get a response from Synergy or 4WD. Losing my confidence in those two organizations. If the item is in back order then say something other than “things are taking longer due to Covid”, and answer back with something other than a canned generic response saying you’re working on the order, when a customer asks specific questions about back order, etc. To date, neither company has responded appropriately. Could be the one and only dealing with them for me.

Anything else you folks would see as a “must have”?

Will post pics as soon as I get it back.

Thanks,

Jim

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I have flat towed both a TJ and a JK all over the place. Both had 3.5" lifts and 35" tires. I had no problems. As long as the lift is installed correctly: geometry correction, centered axles with good trackbars or brackets, no shimmies or wobbles, and your steering wheel returns to center easily, you should have no problems either.
I just received the last piece of the puzzle to flat tow the new Gladiator, a Cooltech towed vehicle tail light harness. For now, the JTR has a leveling kit and 35's, but will have a better lift and 37's eventually.

OP
OP
Jtschnel

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have flat towed both a TJ and a JK all over the place. Both had 3.5" lifts and 35" tires. I had no problems. As long as the lift is installed correctly: geometry correction, centered axles with good trackbars or brackets, no shimmies or wobbles, and your steering wheel returns to center easily, you should have no problems either.
I just received the last piece of the puzzle to flat tow the new Gladiator, a Cooltech towed vehicle tail light harness. For now, the JTR has a leveling kit and 35's, but will have a better lift and 37's eventually.
TJDAVE,

Thanks for the input. We towed a JK as well. Like yours, our 2017 Unlimited had a lift and 35’s. No problems for the 3+ years we had and towed it.

We purchased the JT in Fl, had it outfitted with BlueOx baseplate and wiring and towed it back to WI with no issues, as well. The tow bar was off level by a bit ... no issues and planned to correct this summer. That is, until we decided to the above mentioned mods. Lift will be MetalCloak‘s 3.5” Game Changer so all geometry should be addressed. Tires will be 37’s. From the responses I’ve gotten here as well as from MetalCloak, I’m relatively confident we’ll be ok.

Will certainly post back here when complete and tow tested.

Jim

Sponsored

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
Quick question.... plan on flat towing my JT... it has an after market bumper with tabs... rated at 12k supposedly from manufacturer... can i hook tow bar directly to that or do i need to reconfigure and get base plate? Any experience with that would be helpful.

OP
OP
Jtschnel

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick question.... plan on flat towing my JT... it has an after market bumper with tabs... rated at 12k supposedly from manufacturer... can i hook tow bar directly to that or do i need to reconfigure and get base plate? Any experience with that would be helpful.
Personally, I’ve only towed using base plates. I have seen others who’ve added connections (some replacing the tow hooks) for their specific towbar directly to heavy duty bumpers as you’ve asked about. There should be no reason it won’t work as long as the bumper is very solid, it’s rated appropriately, attached solidly to the frame, and the tow bar is level. I’d also install some sort of safety cable behind the bumper to the frame in the unlikely event the bumper ever came loose. Baseplates have the same setup, at least BlueOx does.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
There are some lengthy discussions on that topic on many forums, including the JL forum and RV forums, some heated. The question is weather the front bumper mounting plates (4 bolt holes each) have the strength to safely flat tow on their own. Attached to the frame ends by robot welds from the factory. Most base plates have bolts through the side of the frame. But, most base plates do not allow for a winch to be mounted between the frame rails, like on a factory Rubicon steel bumper. I chose to go with the Maximus-3 tow loops. They attach through the side of the frame, and two of the bumper mounting plate holes. A member of our Jeep club uses the Maximus tow bar mounts on his JL and is very happy with them. My first trip is at the end of the month.
All that being said, I have many friends that tow with the D-ring shackle mounts on TJs and JKs and have not had any problems that I am aware of.
Also, LOD and Rockhard 4x4 sell bumpers designed for flat towing with specific tow bar manufactures mounts included. Some Smittybuilt bumpers D-Ring mounts are certified for flat towing.

It's a lot to absorb! Then, after all that, you have to decide which braking system, and light system to go with!

OP
OP
Jtschnel

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok .... it’s finally gone into the shop for lift, shocks, tires, wheels, rock lights, winch, and Amp Research Powersteps. I’m waiting until that’s complete to see how much clearance I have getting into the garage for a top of windshield mounted light bar. Instead of long rectangular led light bar, I was thinking of something like the KC Gravity Pro6 LED light bar if it’d fit in the garage ... almost a little retro these days.

I also ordered the Synergy sector shaft brace from 4WD.com. Took my credit card just fine but after finding out from a friend they’re supposedly on back order for who knows how long, I’ve not been able to get a response from Synergy or 4WD. Losing my confidence in those two organizations. If the item is in back order then say something other than “things are taking longer due to Covid”, and answer back with something other than a canned generic response saying you’re working on the order, when a customer asks specific questions about back order, etc. To date, neither company has responded appropriately. Could be the one and only dealing with them for me.

Anything else you folks would see as a “must have”?

Will post pics as soon as I get it back.

Thanks,

Jim
Finally got most of the work done, including :

- MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer lift with
Rock Sport shocks
- 20x10 XD Grenade Wheels with -24 offset
- 37/13.50R20 Milestar Patagonia MT Tires
- Amp Research XL Power Steps
- Warn VR12-S Winch
- Quake Rock Lights (8) with Bluetooth
control
Also had to purchase Superchips Traildash2 Programer to adjust speedometer for new tires.

Provided a few pics of the setup below. Also one of all the extra parts (plus tires and rims. not shown) that I need to get rid of!

Next up is probably the KC light bar. It’s going to be pretty close getting into the garage ... one more measurement before giving the go ahead!

Jim

Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 482FD21B-6DE2-4FFF-9E17-9A07410C3A82
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 20779A3F-FCF1-4A0D-A106-A9E0640259CB
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? D8CF5139-F736-4797-896D-8C80050F26B4
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 974A7AAC-C25E-40CB-832A-32C1FF3B0341
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 99683A92-A226-4A24-8C36-0699EDC600B3
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 1D0C5830-F631-4403-A237-A581A5C38348
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 21544ED0-9B7E-4D42-B666-CA4658457C54
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 1BEED60F-9B35-46BD-B5DF-7C8C045F3866
Jeep Gladiator Flat Towing JTR with Lift/Tires/Wheels?? 3D99DAA8-4B13-49B5-AF9D-7C93DF0106A5

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
First flat tow went perfectly. Only a 1.5" lift and 35's. Seemed to tow better/straighter than the 2 door JK. Maybe the extra length helps?
I did notice a little slop in the "ball" thingy on my old Aventa LX tow bar. Blue Ox discontinued this design years ago, and I don't want to be another reason why. New Avail tow bar ordered. The new one has a little longer arms.

blue ox aventa lx.jpg
Sponsored