First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
So, I admit I'm an old phart - this is the first vehicle I've owned that has the provision to use a thumb drive to store music. My question is: can the music stored on the thumb drive be stored in a hierarchical fashion, like folders for various genres of music, then artists stored in those folders, then albums stored in the artists' folders, etc. - or does everything get stored without any folders?
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
So, I admit I'm an old phart - this is the first vehicle I've owned that has the provision to use a thumb drive to store music. My question is: can the music stored on the thumb drive be stored in a hierarchical fashion, like folders for various genres of music, then artists stored in those folders, then albums stored in the artists' folders, etc. - or does everything get stored without any folders?
Also an old fart. Also would like to know this.

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
Somewhat associated, make sure your music is formatted in the ID3 format. If this is the case, you can sort the music using Uconnect according to artist, album, etc.

You can also create playlists in the .m3u format and place them in the top level of your USB stick.

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Somewhat associated, make sure your music is formatted in the ID3 format. If this is the case, you can sort the music using Uconnect according to artist, album, etc.

You can also create playlists in the .m3u format and place them in the top level of your USB stick.
All my music files are mp3 files - so does that mean they can't be sorted? What do I have to do to get them into ID3 format?

Also, is a playlist just a list of files, or is it a file containing the actual music files in the playlist?

This is all so confusing!

Sponsored

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
All my music files are mp3 files - so does that mean they can't be sorted? What do I have to do to get them into ID3 format?

Also, is a playlist just a list of files, or is it a file containing the actual music files in the playlist?

This is all so confusing!
a music playing/organizing program on a computer can help create or edit those ID3 tags. They’re basically information tags that get put on a mp3 file that contain the information like title, artist, album and track number. This is different from the file name.

The playlist is a list of music files you can create in a music playing program. It’s a list you create of music like ’workout music’ that contains a custom list of music. It is saved as an .m3u file which most music players can read and will make available in their Interface.

If you already have mp3 files, depending on where you got them they may already have the ID3 tags filled in or your previous music program may have used their file names as substitutes for the ID3 tags which is something music programs do but Uconnect sort of does in a crude way.

So, when you put the stick in the Jeep it will read all the mp3s and try to figure out what to show when playing. Usually, it will use filenames if it has no ID3 tags. It will try and sort them by file name but unless the filenames are in a format the Uconnect can interpret, it probably won’t get them completely right. Which is why doing the work and ensuring the ID3 tags are all correct is the best way.

Googling how to correctly tag your music will probably help but explaining it here with all the ways people get and listen to music would take eons.