Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM, Wrangler LJ
Occupation
PhotoAd
Hey all, looking for some info...
Will "matte black vinyl" cook, discolor, prematurely age... the underlying paint (firecracker fenders)? Curious as I'd like to change it up on occasion.
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Not if prepped and installed correctly. It should actually preserve the paint.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
Hey all, looking for some info...
Will "matte black vinyl" cook, discolor, prematurely age... the underlying paint (firecracker fenders)? Curious as I'd like to change it up on occasion.
As long as it’s professionally (correctly) installed, it will act as a protective barrier for your Jeeps paint and finish. A lot of the times you’ll hear clear wraps referred to either as a “clear bra” or “paint protection film”.

GoatPowder

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I just took a vehicle to be stripped from it's vinyls that had been on for 25 years (the vynil shop was not happy about this) and the paint was still pristine underneath.

On the other hand I've had decals pulled from 5 year old trucks and the paint underneath was bubbled or completely rusted through.

Just be picky post-install, if it's bubbled it's not correct and don't hesitate to ask the shop to redo it. You don't want anywhere moisture, and worse, salt can get trapped between the paint and vynil.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Properly installed should be fine. I live in Vegas where many vehicles are wrapped and it preserves the paint if properly installed. And we have temperatures that reach 115 degrees.
Sponsored