First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
On my truck my rule of thumb is I will not replace any factory part if the new part weighs more. I have a Mojave so lightness is key. This rule basically is preventing me from getting a new front bumper, but you’re saying the JCR Vanguard rear bumper is lighter than my stock bumper with factory tow hitch?
Rock Hard 4x4 1/4" thick aluminum mid width bumper is only 34 lbs

EDIT - oops I see you mentioned them in your next post
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Per JCR, the Vanguard rear bumper is 115lbs. Anyone know the combined weight of the stock rear plastic bumper and tow hitch?

I got my eye on the mid-width Rock Hard aluminum. If they’d have had a Black Friday sale I would have pounced.

My personal requirements are so specific I’m really limited. For instance on a front bumper, I do not want a winch so finding one that is light and not designed for a winch is rare. I think that RH fits the bill.

On the JCR, if the increased weight is minimal, I’d trade that off for the superior strength and greater departure angle. The factory tow hitch kills the departure angle.
Did some digging the other day and the factory hitch is apparently right at 50 lbs. Factory steel bumper kit is ~40lbs (boxed weight is 46lbs) and I can imagine maybe 10 lbs for the rocker protection? That would put you right around 100lbs replacing a steel rear bumper and all the related parts so you'd really only be adding 15-20lbs at most and the added protection is massively better than factory.

The RH bumper is technically winch-rated but I'm not sure I'd trust it as it's literally 100% aluminum and most others (e.g. Genright) will do a steel cradle to reinforce their aluminum. If you don't want one then the top-mount winch bumper is probably right for you so there's no opening.

edit: I just realized that that bumper kit may or may not be complete so you might even save more weight... not sure what is included but that might just be the steel shell. You'd need someone in parts to verify but it's P/N 82215634AC

OP
OP
PicklesJ

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious what the weight of the stock bumpers (i.e., weight of front bumper and weight of rear bumper) on a 2021 Gladiator Sport S would be?
Just had an EAG stubby front bumper delivered. Boy the box is heavy! Waiting for good weather and a helping hand for installation. Will update, comment on weight impact, and post a picture.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Hmmmm I was looking at the Lod off-road destroyer full width. 80 lbs. On a stock Sport S. To much? Bottom out issues? It's a diesel. It will eventually get a winch and a 2.5 Clayton lift. I like the full width. IMO makes it look complete.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Would going from the stock plastic bumper to the oem steel bumper lower the front end at all? It’s on a Rubi if that matters.
Sponsored