Sponsored

What is the Mojave's "virtual brake-based" front locker?

travelstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
This article:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/gladiator/2020/2020-jeep-gladiator-mojave-first-drive-review/

Contains the following quote:

Anyone not living in the Southwest—or a similar area—is probably still wondering why they should buy the Mojave over the Rubicon, so let's lay it out. Yes, the Mojave loses the Rubicon's selectable front locker and disconnecting front anti-roll bar, but it supplants them with a virtual brake-based front locker and that trick suspension that doesn't need to disconnect anything. Remember the wheelbase talk? In almost any situation you can get a Gladiator into, the Mojave's virtual front locker will get you out nearly as well as the Rubicon's mechanical locker. The Rubicon will never keep up with the Mojave at higher speeds, period.

What are they referring to?
Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
This article:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/gladiator/2020/2020-jeep-gladiator-mojave-first-drive-review/

Contains the following quote:

Anyone not living in the Southwest—or a similar area—is probably still wondering why they should buy the Mojave over the Rubicon, so let's lay it out. Yes, the Mojave loses the Rubicon's selectable front locker and disconnecting front anti-roll bar, but it supplants them with a virtual brake-based front locker and that trick suspension that doesn't need to disconnect anything. Remember the wheelbase talk? In almost any situation you can get a Gladiator into, the Mojave's virtual front locker will get you out nearly as well as the Rubicon's mechanical locker. The Rubicon will never keep up with the Mojave at higher speeds, period.

What are they referring to?
The open diff on the Mojave front axle just freely spins one wheel if there’s no traction on it. If there is some resistance then the diff can put some power through that wheel.
So applying some light brake pressure, whether manually with your foot or through the electronic traction control, can help.
It just won’t work as well as a dedicated locked diff if you’re doing serious rock-climbing and lifting tires off the ground

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
All this sounds so electronically brain controlled vs the simple solid mechanical connection. I like my Jeep basic. I don't need "high-speed", I need "sure-footed" and I don't need "Smart", I just need "dependable." I got a jeep truck to do jeep things.
Just my opinion.