Sponsored

What limits towing on manual transmission?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a ridiculous thing to actually worry about but I know I'm technically correct.

With all the fly by wire stuff in a modern Jeep the AT version could be hacked to kill you. This kind of attack has already been done by Israel.

Imagine this. The truck gets hacked. The doors lock, the throttle goes to full. The shifter locks in drive, the ABS triggers unnecessarily on all 4 wheels eliminating braking while the steering lock is triggered.

In short you are screwed. The only control you have left is the e-brake. Sure you could try to put the transfer case in neutral, but that's about impossible to do if any torque is going thorugh it.

In a MT Jeep you will at least be able to pop it into neutral before you grab the e-brake.

Like I said ridiculous. But all of the above is true. Every function I mentioned is controlled by the computer.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine this. The truck gets hacked. The doors lock, the throttle goes to full. The shifter locks in drive, the ABS triggers unnecessarily on all 4 wheels eliminating braking while the steering lock is triggered.
I would imagine it except there is no steering lock and the worst that could happen on the JT is loss of power steering. If you have any muscle, you still have control. You may be surprised or shocked as hell and in a bad spot in traffic, but you can't actually lose steering. JT steering is still fully 100% mechanical.
There simply is no steering lock on the JT. Running or not, I can go to any Gladiator and make those front wheels turn. You may need to eat your greens and protein but it's mechanical with power assist. It's not "Steer by wire".

Oh, and like always, Israel also has invented ways to prevent such things! Did you know that a lot of the code in Cisco routers, ASAs and switches comes from Israel? And the virus "definitions" and much code used in early versions of CP and Symantec products - yeah, from Israel.
And of course there's this - they can't do this in mass....... so you need to be a target. There still isn't a way to access a group of vehicles. And like so many things - it takes skill. Yes, Israel has done demonstrations but it's been on one at a time, and required crazy abilities to accomplish it.

Just like networks like I dealt with can be hardened and basically made bullet proof, so can cars and Israel has proven that as well.
Unlike networks at a business or government agency or your home, where the weakest link is the dopes inside the network, the car has no such idiot messing with stuff, so once hardened, the car is not going to be compromised.
Even STUXNET was invited in by an employee. Most compromises are invited, not truly "hacks". less than 10% are true hacks, the rest are the idiots using the network.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't notice there wasn't a steering lock. That's great news. As someone who grew up driving carbureted cars that had a tendency to stall at the worst possible moment, my brain naturally goes into "armstrong steering" mode.

Its still a bit disconcerting that gear selection, braking and throttle are all essentially done entirely by wire.

My friend''s Chrysler minivan is even worse with an electrical parking brake.

I do agree that this won't be some random thing. That you would need to be targeted and the attack may even require physical access.

Though this isn't the case with Tesla's. Their entire operating system can be reflashed by the manufacturer over the air.

Imagine if every Tesla with self driving capability awakened one evening and went on a suicide mission. Crazy stuff.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Its still a bit disconcerting that gear selection, braking and throttle are all essentially done entirely by wire.
If it makes you feel any better, there's a manual release on the automatic. So you can make it shift.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So how did wondering about towing limits on manual transmission equipped trucks turn into more conspiracy about someone hacking your truck to murder you .............

..................... or take over the world............

Jeep Gladiator What limits towing on manual transmission? 1646701670919

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the benefits of a MT is if the Russians have turned off your power steering, disabled your brakes and locked the throttle wide open, you can always pop it into Neutral.

:)

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
One of the benefits of a MT is if the Russians have turned off your power steering, disabled your brakes and locked the throttle wide open, you can always pop it into Neutral.

:)
Our jeeps aren't quite that connected. I mean, worst case, if all of that stuff were to happen, unplug your radio and the antennas.

locus

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare
That's why I don't understand why anyone would go manual...
I went manual because I enjoy driving the car and selecting my own gear, I didn't buy it to be a tool or a luxury vehicle with a automatic or I would have bought a toyota tundra. I think the truck is very usable with the manual for what it was designed to be "mid size truck" with offroad capabilities. Thats why I also have a 1 ton dually for towing larger items. I also suspect that the rating is lower because jeep cannot determine how everyone drives a manual transmission and have to give some room for slipping and riding clutch or not keeping the engine in the correct rpm for the situation and then blaming them for premature clutch or trans failure. I.E. worried about litegation.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You realize he's banned, and that post is about a year and a half old.........
If you read about how these were developed, heat rejection, loads/RPMs and so on, you'd see it was actually more about the limits of the transmission and the clutch than the owner.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Dead post but ehh. Its basically all clutch and some trans. Part of the test for tow rating is reverse up an incline at a slow speed. If anyone has driven a JT in a manual in reverse up an incline while not being able to fully release the clutch to hit a certain speed, well now you know why its 4k lbs
Sponsored