Wheel Manufacturer Feedback & Sizing Question

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
Hi all - I have a new 2021 Gladiator Willys that I would like to put 285/70/17s tires on with new wheels. I have never purchased after market rims so need a little help. I have been reading and collecting info, just need a few confirmations I am not missing anything. I've ran across AEVs and Mickey Thompson Wheels that I like, along with a few Black Rhinos. In terms of quality are they all in the same ballpark and good? Given the upgraded tire size (33's) would a +25mm offset (such as the AEV Pintlers or Savegre II) work and provide a little poke beyond the fender? Using the tiresize.com site it does look like they would be 1.35" out further from stock. Just looking to confirm this is correct as well as ok (not putting undue stress by being out so far)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Marc
Sponsored

OP
OP

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
Bumping for help - Thanks all

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
IMO the AEV wheels are one of the best as they are specifically made for the JT and JL, high quality and a reasonable offset.
I recently purchased a set of Savegre IIs but have not put tires on them yet, I will either put on an existing set of 285/75/17s I currently have on stock wheels or a new set of 35/11.5/17s Toyo AT IIIs. I wouldn’t bother with 285/70/17s myself they don’t look significantly different from stock tires.

OP
OP

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
IMO the AEV wheels are one of the best as they are specifically made for the JT and JL, high quality and a reasonable offset.
I recently purchased a set of Savegre IIs but have not put tires on them yet, I will either put on an existing set of 285/75/17s I currently have on stock wheels or a new set of 35/11.5/17s Toyo AT IIIs. I wouldn’t bother with 285/70/17s myself they don’t look significantly different from stock tires.
Many thanks for the info, super helpful. I am a big fan of how the Savegre II looks. Do you by chance know if I stayed with stock, if the Savagre would give a little poke outside the fender OR perhaps it wouldnt since it is a smaller tire?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The factory offset is 44.45. The wheels are 7.5" wide. And the 285/70 stock tires are dead nuts even with the lip of the fenders.

So... ANY increase in wheel width will give you some "poke", and any reduction in offset will also.

A +25 offset is 1 inch farther out than stock, plus whatever additional width those wheels have. So yes you'll end up 1.5 inches or more wider than stock.

Sponsored

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Not new to Jeeps but like you looking at aftermarket wheels. I have a Willys and was not planning on regearing so I tended to look at the weight of the tire and new wheel to see how much I was adding to each axle. I realize that I will loose some MPG, not my concern but I didn't want to make it a dog. The best I can gather from the stock Willys rims and Firestone MT's is that the combined weight was around 73 to 74 lbs per wheel.

So I would check the weight of the tires and wheels to see what you will encounter. I liked the AEV wheels but thought they were a bit heavy for my gearing etc. Just something to think about. I'm sure there will be people who can expound better than me on this.

novdelta

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have a Sport S on stock suspension and put 285/70-17s on +12mm 17x8.5 wheels. Sticks out a little but not overly aggressive. And no rubbing. I probably could have gotten away with +01mm offset which would be tucked in a little more. But overall happy with it.

2D0BB901-AD4B-4DC5-B5E1-882DF1EA4A46.jpeg

5D571889-D683-412D-89E1-A8E49416B4CF.jpeg

OP
OP

vh5150

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys 2021
Not new to Jeeps but like you looking at aftermarket wheels. I have a Willys and was not planning on regearing so I tended to look at the weight of the tire and new wheel to see how much I was adding to each axle. I realize that I will loose some MPG, not my concern but I didn't want to make it a dog. The best I can gather from the stock Willys rims and Firestone MT's is that the combined weight was around 73 to 74 lbs per wheel.

So I would check the weight of the tires and wheels to see what you will encounter. I liked the AEV wheels but thought they were a bit heavy for my gearing etc. Just something to think about. I'm sure there will be people who can expound better than me on this.
Thanks for that input, I am on a similar path

Thanks for that info, I seem to be following a similar path as you. Although I am now pondering a regear. I said to myself when I purchased the car I would see this thru, but now am experiencing analysis paralysis with all the things to consider. At first I was going 35s but then didnt want the impact MPG so thought I'd go 33s and not need a regear.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have a Sport S on stock suspension and put 285/70-17s on +12mm 17x8.5 wheels. Sticks out a little but not overly aggressive. And no rubbing. I probably could have gotten away with +01mm offset which would be tucked in a little more. But overall happy with it.

Jeep Gladiator Wheel Manufacturer Feedback  & Sizing Question 5D571889-D683-412D-89E1-A8E49416B4CF

Jeep Gladiator Wheel Manufacturer Feedback  & Sizing Question 5D571889-D683-412D-89E1-A8E49416B4CF
Contrary to what it appears the higher the + number the less the tire extends out this goes to 0 then - numbers which extend out even more, wheel width also comes into play but on the same width wheel a + number will be more inside the wheel well the higher it is

novdelta

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Contrary to what it appears the higher the + number the less the tire extends out this goes to 0 then - numbers which extend out even more, wheel width also comes into play but on the same width wheel a + number will be more inside the wheel well the higher it is
correct. My bad. I always get it mixed up. I checked my paperwork and I put on +01mm offset. Originally thought +12mm but went with my gut
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac