First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
Because I really want to have my ducks in a row with the lift, I'll do the bumper and winch first. A winch will allow you to go places you can't without one and get home. Mud, snow, sand, rocks. A winch will help get through all of them without beating the rig. I am not a friend of the "send it" group. If more people used their winch, the trails would not get so torn up. I am more of a "lifestyle Overland" and less "Lite Brite". But what is right for me is not for everyone. Friday I go get my full width Hard Rock Alu bumper. Made in the USA.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Because I really want to have my ducks in a row with the lift, I'll do the bumper and winch first. A winch will allow you to go places you can't without one and get home. Mud, snow, sand, rocks. A winch will help get through all of them without beating the rig. I am not a friend of the "send it" group. If more people used their winch, the trails would not get so torn up. I am more of a "lifestyle Overland" and less "Lite Brite". But what is right for me is not for everyone. Friday I go get my full width Hard Rock Alu bumper. Made in the USA.
My take, reminded by reading a couple of other comments............ start slow, work into it. Find out what you really love doing, what it takes to do it, then decide how much lift you need or want, what sort you need or want, etc. It's nothing something to jump into lightly. If you find out you enjoy the tougher places, you need more/better lift. If you put on something fast just to get one, you have lost time and money. You lose nothing by researching and trying your truck out in places like you intend to spend time in. There's a lot of great info on lifts here - some have had so-so luck with some lifts, learn from their experiences.
Sounds like you've put some good thought into it. I'd be more of the overland type myself. Go more places, see more things.

OP
OP
WhyNotJeep

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Done with it
Before this JT, I had a used 2014 JKUR for 5 years that I lifted 3 times. When I got it right, I sold it. You really cross some lines when cross the 3 inch line. Going a little slower into remote areas that don't require 40's and just enjoy it. On the Dusey Ershim we used a winch to pull a JK over to change a tire. It was a LOL moment.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine dropped a good .5" - and that's with the lighter Rubicon springs.
Mine didnā€™t move, but my steel bumper is on the lighter end of the spectrum.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I couldnā€™t agree more. I wheel slow and happy, and I drive hundreds of miles home without a broken Jeep. For me, nothing is more fun than finding the line you can just crawl up. I hate extra throttle. If you need that, try a different line.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine didnā€™t move, but my steel bumper is on the lighter end of the spectrum.
And mine, the MOPAR clone, likely on the heavy side. The dang extensions on the ends alone are crazy heavy.
I wish there was a MOPAR style bumper in aluminum.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
And mine, the MOPAR clone, likely on the heavy side. The dang extensions on the ends alone are crazy heavy.
I didnā€™t spend the least amount, but my warn steel is just under 80lbs, if I recall correctly. I genuinely couldnā€™t tell the difference instance or driving.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Mine dropped a good .5" - and that's with the lighter Rubicon springs.
Mine dropped about the same or 1" with Max Tow. Mopar bumper and Smittybilt X20 with synthetic line. When it had a steel cable the drop was more noticeable

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine dropped about the same or 1" with Max Tow. Mopar bumper and Smittybilt X20 with synthetic line. When it had a steel cable the drop was more noticeable
I could feel the extra weight up there as well, a subtle change in how it handled bumps and just felt different.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I could feel the extra weight up there as well, a subtle change in how it handled bumps and just felt different.
I sometimes regret the winch bumper and probably 100lbs of tire and wheel at each corner. Then I see people get stuck during snow or on the trails

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhyNotJeep

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Done with it
Thats' why I went Rock Hard alu full width. 37 pounds. No added weight except for a winch with a syn line.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
It dependsšŸ¤” if you're gonna just go to the mall, get a lift for the looks and speed bumps but if you're really going to go off roading get a winch first. If a winch saves you from getting a tow when you're not on a road, you might have already saved yourself enough for a cheap lift kitšŸ˜‚.

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
I know both is good. But for overlanding on roads much easier than the Rubicon what one makes you feel safer?
IMO,,, being unlifted will keep you out of bad places and a winch will help you get out of bad places.
Never used my winch. Just added weight. Lift is a must
Sponsored