Sponsored

Winch Plate Compatibility and Moving Controller Housing

ALT2870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Freedom
Picked up the Badlands 9500 on sale last week and looking for some advice.

Winch Plate:
Posted in WTB but barring any responses in the next couple of weeks most likely going to have to buy new. Have narrowed down to two potential options:

https://www.amazon.com/Wsays-Mounting-Compatible-2018-2022-Gladiator/dp/B09VBGLR6X?ref_=ast_sto_dp
https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-jeep-wrangler-winch-mounting-plate-10652.html

Solely using the winch as a safety measure for self recovery I personally don't see the need to spend money on the $300+ plates. I'm sure some of you will digress. Anyway biggest thing is the Rough Country plate says it's for the JL OEM Steel Bumper but my understanding is the front end should be the same. There are comments on the Amazon one saying the rear mount holes are off but I'm fine with re-drilling the mount. I'm torn between the two also because the Amazon mount goes all the way across the front of the frame ends while the Rough Country does not. On the contrary the Rough Country has everything needed for the fairlead so wouldn't need to buy extra parts. Anyone have experiences with either?

Edit: Did even more digging and found this option for mount: https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLHR-WP-PC.html Best of both worlds it looks like.

Controller Housing:
The 9500 controller housing is not fix mounted to the top of the winch which means I can put it anywhere within reason which I would like to do to keep a more stealth profile. My initial thought is that there is enough leads from the housing (it's about a foot of cable) to put it on the side of the winch between the bumper and the skid plate. Any thoughts on this? Second options is move it into the engine bay somewhere which will require new longer leads though I'm sure I could get the specs and find the correct cables. Also just finding room on the right side too would be a slight issue. I swear someone did it here just can't find the thread. Anyway, thoughts appreciated on this as well
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pilsner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 21 JTR
Do not go cheap on the mounting plate. The last thing you want to let loose with 10k on it is a mounting plate. The JCR is a good option. I'm not a fan of RC at all. I like American made and welded for things that are load bearing.

OP
OP

ALT2870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I will probably go with the JCR, I don't see why the other two options are necessarily cheaping out. I do get that people aren't a fan of Rough Country, it's a hit or miss and it's really only in consideration since it is an actual kit and has descent reviews. But both of it and the Amazon shouldn't fail out first time or several therefor-after unless there is a constant use situation then I'd have my doubts. As mentioned I'm using the winch as a safety measure, not for constant use.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Checkout LOD signature winch plate at Northridge 4x4, about $152 on sale, I used it ,very impressed powder coating was really good. I get that you are only using the winch for safety but the plate is not where you need to go cheap. Check out the metal thickness of the plates , and if they are one piece with angle bends front and rear…Jack

Last edited:

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I guess I should have worded it a little different, get the best plate you can get , and compare the thickness and how it is made. A lot of plates are one piece bent and welded to fit , not bolted together, also when I was looking some plates are flat at the rear no upward or downward angled piece which gives huge increase in strength.
I’ve seen videos of winch plates flexing when pulling , with the person videoing saying out loud if this is an issue. Your assuming you are only using it very occasionally which is very common, but with less experience and when you really do need is not the time to think is it good enough. I chose LOD for my plastic bumper install and used it last week to pull out my stuck 7500lb. f-250 sideways up a sloped ditch, I was impressed with the winch and winch plate. There are lots of well made winch plates and there are some that are questionable…..Jack

OP
OP

ALT2870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, I've avoided the plates that only attach to the front of the frame, that's just asking for it. I'll check out the LOD again. Also looks like the Bulldog plate which has a lot of respect is also on sale now at $220 from $300. Kinda tempted to see if anybody drops prices post Christmas.

Also coming back to the question/idea of putting the controller box elsewhere, anyone out there with advice on that?
Sponsored