First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
So coming from a long line of Jeep owning... here's my experiences.

It really IS a Jeep thing. The flat, almost vertical windshields break easier than any other vehicle. Get glass coverage.
Ford is finding out similarly with the full size Broncos this is an issue. Our Sport has an interesting slipstream effect based on the reports in the forums that increases the chances of a rock cracking it. In fact, I just replaced ours on insurance a month ago.

Insurance depends on the state as well as the provider.
This 100%.

Each policy is different and state by state and may not always be available. For example, my $1M umbrella with State Farm isn't even out there anymore for someone to obtain. But I'm grandfathered in and will keep it as long as I can. 3 vehicles on that policy and all are covered with $250 deductibles. I've had shitty insurance (thanks, Progressive. They suck donkey dong.) and will never go down that road again if I can help it.

Every glass policy I've ever had only paid for "OEM spec" aftermarket replacement glass. If you wanted Mopar branded glass with the little Jeep in the corner, you had to pay the difference. Typically about $400 more. UNLESS Mopar glass was all that was available (got that once, because it was a new model Wrangler, and no aftermarket options yet). That said, I've never noticed any difference in the quality replacement Safelite used, and you can order the decal for a few bucks online. If you get it before the install, ask the installer if you can put the decal on before the install, it's a lot easier.
If you spec the OEM, they can and will give you the OEM but there may be additional charges. Fortunately for me, my State Farm policy covers OEM replacement at no additional cost if available. When I had the Bronco done last month, I told them to order Ford OEM. Safelite is replacing that under warranty Monday because their initial tech didn't do it properly and now it's leaking and has stained the headliner. But they're doing it free of charge as a warranty claim.

If you use Safelite, they typically ask if you want the Jeep logo in the corner or not. If you say yes, that triggers the higher cost Mopar replacement glass. Also, if you are paying out of pocket, google around a bit, Safelite always has huge discount codes for first time customers if you set everything up online. If you have already done the online quote with them, you may have to use a different email address and clear your browser cache to get the discount to work. They typically also offer discounts if you can be a bit flexible with the install time if you are having them come to you vs taking to their shop.
Much as I try to support small biz, I will never have anyone but Safelite do auto glass. Their nationwide warranty is outstanding.

However, I will never use the specific Safelite shop that initially did my repair again. And according to the one doing the warranty work, that isn't uncommon. My recommendation is to always research the shop, even if it is a national because some are certainly better than others.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Each policy is different and state by state and may not always be available. For example, my $1M umbrella with State Farm isn't even out there anymore for someone to obtain. But I'm grandfathered in and will keep it as long as I can. 3 vehicles on that policy and all are covered with $250 deductibles. I've had shitty insurance (thanks, Progressive. They suck donkey dong.) and will never go down that road again if I can help it.
I wonder how many even do an umbrella. We did to cover our retirement and assets.

Much as I try to support small biz, I will never have anyone but Safelite do auto glass. Their nationwide warranty is outstanding.

However, I will never use the specific Safelite shop that initially did my repair again. And according to the one doing the warranty work, that isn't uncommon. My recommendation is to always research the shop, even if it is a national because some are certainly better than others.
If you call the number our insurance company furnished by our company for auto glass - it goes right to Safelite.
When I needed my 2nd windshield in the 2020 replaced - a week before it was going in for trade, I was under time crunch and Safelite said they couldn't handle that fast but partnered with another local shop that could. Their service was amazing. They were the ones that said it would be OEM unless I was paying out of pocket and requested a cheaper glass. But I'd be fine with the Safelite glass, too.

Absolutely check the local franchise of almost any business. there are standards, but then management and individuals matter, too.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I wonder how many even do an umbrella. We did to cover our retirement and assets.
Mine is odd in that when I turned 16 I was on my parents' State Farm policy, but due to a not-at-fault and a minor at-fault accident around 18-19 years old, State Farm dropped me in spite of my agent's protests.

Fast forward to my mid-late 20's and a series of mishaps on Progressive, Geico, and a year on the state insurance fund with the same State Farm agent I got to take advantage of the same umbrella my father had. No idea how but we have different policy numbers, I haven't lived in that house since my early 20's and yet, I had the same coverage he did if I wanted it.

I've kept it consistently for close to 20 years and several different State Farm agents. I have been told by each of them to not let it go because they don't offer it anymore and I can't ever get it back.

We've added her car and our house to the same umbrella, and it's worth every penny. It is more expensive than "regular" coverage but given I may have to take clients out to see houses occasionally and the general dumbassery of the general public, especially in the Baltimore area, I can't be over-insured enough.

If you call the number our insurance company furnished by our company for auto glass - it goes right to Safelite.
When I needed my 2nd windshield in the 2020 replaced - a week before it was going in for trade, I was under time crunch and Safelite said they couldn't handle that fast but partnered with another local shop that could. Their service was amazing. They were the ones that said it would be OEM unless I was paying out of pocket and requested a cheaper glass. But I'd be fine with the Safelite glass, too.

Absolutely check the local franchise of almost any business. there are standards, but then management and individuals matter, too.
Yep. SF has an arrangement with Safelite as well. And no two franchises are ever the same.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Aha. It's not just my computer, this forum is doubling up on photos.
There's another thread with the same pair of pictures at least 3 times. I know the poster didn't do it...............

Reactions: KVJ

Sponsored

flipmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
Any such thing? Cracked windshield 2022 Gladiator Max Tow Sport. My windshield finally cracked, called progressive ins and I’m told will cost over $800 from Safelite. Anyone know where to buy windshield at decent price? Thanks all
I replaced mine at $625 for OEM glass a few months ago and the next day got a small rock chip on the new one. I decided to take a chance and ordered the Exoshield Ultra Kit as a way to protect it going forward. Got to say it has saved my new windshield twice since I installed it from some really hard hits that would have easily broken the glass. Its supposed to reduce impact force by 60% and so far that seems to true. The best part is my new windshield is also not getting all those little sand pits in it, its clear as new. Once this this protector starts to wear out in couple years I will just replace it and be back to a perfectly clear windshield. This is better than the gorilla glass option they were offering because the gorilla glass panel is on the inside so the outer glass is still going to get pitted and dinged. It was worth money. They had discount code in this forum at one point.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is better than the gorilla glass option they were offering because the gorilla glass panel is on the inside so the outer glass is still going to get pitted and dinged. It was worth money. They had discount code in this forum at one point.
Yeah, people misunderstand the Gorilla Glass thing.
If you want to protect against the sand pitting - around here windshields get "sand blasted" after the winter sand dries in the spring and is flung around. Doesn't take long. A car I don't drive a lot is already showing bad sandblasting effect from the sand and gravel on the roads, from the shoulders and so on.
If you want to protect against that - get the FILM. it's that simple.
Gorilla glass is for passenger protection, and reduced cracks from impacts by about 60%
So for me the best of both worlds would be both - protect people in the truck in case of accident, protect the windshield from blasting and pitting via the film.
I'd consider the film on my next vehicle.

mryanwing

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
After my 3rd windshield I added $0 deductible glass coverage to my insurance policy. I think it is like $8/month. Haven’t had a broken windshield since.
Sponsored