Sponsored

Fun Article on Developing Punk'n Orange

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
'(Mark Allen) was looking for a new orange space that was unique from what we have produced in the past for FCA vehicles. He didn’t want an orange color that flared too red, or yellow or just went brown,” said La Shirl Turner, Head of Advanced Color & Materials. “Punk’n, although it resembles a ‘solid’ color, actually has glass flakes in its chemistry. When the sun hits it, it has a great flash of shimmer!"'

"Once the color was proposed, the FCA Product Design Office’s Advanced Color & Materials team worked closely with FCA’s paint supplier PPG to get the perfect orange exterior color. It took between six and eight months to get it just right and not have the color appear with too much chroma or have it go flat."

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/20...r-offers-a-color-thats-a-treat-for-halloween/

004A3016.jpg

(Apologies if this is a repost.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Pretty interesting to read the backstory on the color. My wife is a huge fan of it and in certain lighting conditions I guess I am as well. I was hoping we would see a burnt orange as a second option to Punk'n.

funguy7301

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I love the color when I ordered mine on computer screen it didn't look right n u had to get tan leather so that was y I didn't order it on my JL but when I order a gladiator that's the only color I want

MirMir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Altitude
Can’t wait till mine shows up! Thanks for sharing this post.

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

MirMir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Altitude
Me too! Still in "D" status.
Same. I don’t think they have really started on the Punk’ns yet so they can get the older orders caught up.

Pazzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Yea I like the White in my Sport S, but this color calls to me. This is definitely a very unique and beautiful color. A little jealous of ya'll getting PunkN.
It reminds me of BMW's Valencia Orange.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Interesting, I’ve never really seen the color enough light I guess. Every time I see it, it looks like a real intense tangerine which is fine but good to know it has some added flair hidden deep inside.

ohiobrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
I'm a nerd.. I'm 49 and I have a favorite color. Yep, orange. Before the Gladiator was introduced, I was seriously considering buying an orange Toyota Tacoma manual. I was THIS close, but I heard about the Gladiator and wanted to check it out first (My all time favorite vehicle was an '89 Wrangler manual. Friends would grumble about the ride quality, then they would get to drive it and fell in love).

I ordered the Punk'n first day they started producing them. I have no clue when I'll receive it, but I'm not losing my mind over the wait. Sort of like allowing a good bottle of wine to age.. I'm so pumped up for this truck (doubly excited that it's a manual) I'll end up putting 200,000 miles on it. My kids will probably be fighting over it someday.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
hellayella?! I've never seen a yellow one. I would like that, but I guess they aren't doing that for the gladiators.

Sponsored

htremper

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (with toddler booster seat!)
Occupation
Rockstar
I'm a nerd.. I'm 49 and I have a favorite color. Yep, orange. Before the Gladiator was introduced, I was seriously considering buying an orange Toyota Tacoma manual. I was THIS close, but I heard about the Gladiator and wanted to check it out first (My all time favorite vehicle was an '89 Wrangler manual. Friends would grumble about the ride quality, then they would get to drive it and fell in love).

I ordered the Punk'n first day they started producing them. I have no clue when I'll receive it, but I'm not losing my mind over the wait. Sort of like allowing a good bottle of wine to age.. I'm so pumped up for this truck (doubly excited that it's a manual) I'll end up putting 200,000 miles on it. My kids will probably be fighting over it someday.
Same...with ordering and color (fun fact...it makes people hungry and happy...which is why fast food places have an orange hue)...my 4yo asks me daily when its coming...I have to re-explain that its in D status

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I love the color however I already have an orange 4Runner!

OP
OP
LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Having owned this color for over a month, it's even better than I hoped it would be. There's a "rightness" to the color. Not too red. Not too yellow. Not too dusty. People who call it "traffic cone orange" need to see one in person. It really is pumpkin orange. It feels organic, not artificial or neon.

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
People who call it "traffic cone orange" need to see one in person. It really is pumpkin orange. It feels organic, not artificial or neon.
I completely agree. Punk'n Gladiators almost never look right in digital pictures. When I saw mine at the dealer, I was bowled over by how great it looks and I still am every day. Everyone at the dealership was talking about it when I picked it up.

Don't judge if you haven't seen it in person. This picture is close, but not quite right.
20191001_084013.jpg
Sponsored