So many used Gladiators on the market.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
There are enough to make you wonder within 20 miles and 100 miles here too. Good thread!
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I wonder how much of this is due to not meeting expectations of towing capability, specifically with those who haven't towed with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar. Right out of the gate one of the big marketing points was its 7,000 lb tow rating, with the ads show a Gladiator towing what looks like a 5,500 lb (dry weight) Airstream. I'd guess that if people want a Jeep, they're happy with a JK or JKU, but people who want a Jeep and a pickup want to tow and haul. The Pentastar is fine for light duty tow & haul but I'm still baffled by the 7,000 lb spec. Not because of wheel base or suspension etc., but simply torque and hp.
To be fair, the Gladiator tow numbers are competitive with Ford and Chevy mid size offerings. If someone is underwhelmed by a Gladiators towing ability, they would be the same with a Ranger or Colorado.

Also, if one is towing on the high end of the Gladiators margins all the time, they need to really be in a true full size half ton or higher truck.

OP
OP

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder how much of this is due to not meeting expectations of towing capability, specifically with those who haven't towed with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar. Right out of the gate one of the big marketing points was its 7,000 lb tow rating, with the ads show a Gladiator towing what looks like a 5,500 lb (dry weight) Airstream. I'd guess that if people want a Jeep, they're happy with a JK or JKU, but people who want a Jeep and a pickup want to tow and haul. The Pentastar is fine for light duty tow & haul but I'm still baffled by the 7,000 lb spec. Not because of wheel base or suspension etc., but simply torque and hp.
Tow ratings are coming from the SAE J2807 specs. But these don't reflect real world use of the truck.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/23...yINli6w0vMYy0DXtzspuLcd6H8MRzTk0gHbi8g29Tzgyi

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Think someone had said it before possibly looks like a lot of the one's popping up are dealer mods that didn't sell or they are trying to sell them another route. But many of those dealer builds would be a no go just don't like what they did with a lot of them.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I bought mine certified used... A guy bought it on a saturday and traded it in on monday. Didn't like how he fit in the vehicle. His loss my gain. woot

Sponsored

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Since so many appear to be dealer mods and demos Im guessing this is normal for an all new vehicle. I bet more dealers chose to demo the JT than other established vehicles just because its new.

Others are also likely correct- there were probably alot of people who ran right out and bought one not knowing what they were getting- basically not knowing what Jeeps are like. The kind of people that just wanted the newest cool truck on the road, not knowing that Jeeps are loud, dont handle like a regular truck etc... I think a similar thing happens with Powerwagons, there are usually more used on the lots here than new, with very low miles- in that case Im guessing its the harsh reality of 12mpg.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
I was looking up used Gladiator market prices and came across some interesting data. As of today on Cars.com there are 449 used 2020 Gladiators on the market. Yet only 16 used 2020 Wranglers. I looked up several other brands and none have the high numbers of the Gladiator.
A search for a used 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on Cars.com resulted in over 3000 vehicles and I found 245 used 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.The Wrangler Unlimited is far more popular than the Wrangler.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Pure speculation. There have been many positive reports on the Gladiator's towing ability based on it's listed capability as well.

OP
OP

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A search for a used 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on Cars.com resulted in over 3000 vehicles and I found 245 used 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.The Wrangler Unlimited is far more popular than the Wrangler.
I thought if I searched on just Wrangler with no filters it would show all trims. Guess not.

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Also rental cars are sold fairly quickly.
Avis near me got 10 or so base Gladiators in their fleet a few months back. I wonder if they're renting or not and maybe theyre selling them off for that reason?

Sponsored

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Seeing the state of the used Gs, I'm glad I got mine at 6% under invoice as it looks like the used ones with a little more miles are going for what I paid. I'd be very unhappy today to know I paid MSRP!

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Avis near me got 10 or so base Gladiators in their fleet a few months back. I wonder if they're renting or not and maybe theyre selling them off for that reason?
I rent cars a few times a month, and usually you don't get much of a choice in what they give you. I just rent the cheapest vehicle and when I pick it up, I am given a space number in a parking lot, that 95% of the time has a better car in it that I am paying for. Only a few times have I gone back to the desk and told them 'I am not driving that'.

Rental cars get sold when they hit a certain number of miles. I would think based on residual values that some of the companies choose to sell the vehicle, or send it down to one of their less-expensive rental brands (ex: Avis gets the new cars, Budget gets them when they hit a certain number of miles).

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
I have worked for many rental agencies.

Most of the cars are leased, the mileage that they keep the vehicles depends on models

can range from 10,000 - 30,000 before they are turned in.

The ones that go way over mileage the company usually buys and / or sends to auction.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
The ones that go way over mileage the company usually buys and / or sends to auction.
That makes sense. I don't think I have ever gotten an Avis or Hertz vehicle with more than 15k. I usually rent at O'Hare, Reagan or DFW which are fairly active airports, So I imagine their cars get turned over quite frequently.

Last edited:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Just rented one a few weeks ago for a day to be able to get a long test drive out of it. The Truck had around 11,000 miles on it. The steering was super bad with a lot of lag in the wheel. Charged us $10 plus taxes
Sponsored