Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator]

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
This is a very different build, but one that I personally wanted, but it wasn't available, so now I am building it with some help from some industry professionals.

I have a family, and need 7 seats, and have done the Teraflex 3rd row kit on a JK with some additional safety upgrades, and it was great, but has some drawbacks. So with that as a base line, I decided to convert a Gladiator over to be a Wagoneer. I know there is a new Jeep Wagoneer on its way, but I see that as more of a re-badged Durango than an off road Jeep adventure vehicle.

The first step I took was to start with a Photoshop render and work out how I would want a Jeep Overland vehicle to be, and what equipment I want on it, in order to be a great overland vehicle for 2-3 day trips.

I came up with the following ideals in addition to the expansion of the cab:
1. Mopar 2" Lift- Too keep the mass low and road manners good
2. 37" Falken tires- Quiet, and aggressive enough to get almost anywhere.
3. Falcon 3.3 adaptive shocks- want great on and off road behavior
4. Black Rhino Wheels with a heavy duty build
5. OEM JLU Interior roll cage- I want this to look OEM when its done
6. OEM JL seats for 3rd row
7. Winch- Still not sure who's maybe a Warn
8. Under body aluminum Skid plates - Still not sure what systems to use yet.
9. On Board water storage - still in design, but pressurized will be key.
10. Adaptable one touch power roof to allow the truck part of the design to be used. This will allow future roof top designs for accessibility, as well as a system for using cots for sleeping, rather than a roof top system that is carried above the vehicle. Still working through that design as well.

upload_2020-3-25_16-43-49.png

upload_2020-3-25_17-1-4.png

I will be posting progress on the project as it develops. I hope I can get some insights from the group here as the project progresses.

View attachment 68506
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Great concept and one that I have dreamed of...good luck in your endeavors with the project. My only question, have you thought of an extended range tank? With your mods, range may be greatly limited. I am holding out for a diesel for that very reason, but don't have the $$$ nor time to attempt an effort such as yours. Will be monitoring your progress.

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revitalizeautospa.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '04 CLK 55 AMG, '21 Kia Telluride
Vehicle Showcase
Subscribed! This is very close to what I want to do as well. Got a family of 6 so was trying to figure out how to safely add a third row - I had searched high and low for something like the Teraflex kit, so thanks for that! How are you planning on raising the bench seat to a comfortable height? Or are you planning on one of these seats?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-WRANG...464249?hash=item44576be279:g:GSIAAOSwRiJd1-ux

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How are you managing the flex between the bed & the cab? Using a 1 piece top that encompasses the cab and the bed up to this point was a no go I thought because the bed is independent of the cab.
Same goes with the roll cage in the bed that is mounted to the cab roll cage.
I would be curious to know what you did to make a 1 piece top work.

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Great question. Overall the distance between the front and rear axles is only 13" longer than a JLU, so total flex should be a little more than a Wrangler just from that alone, but also the separation of the cab front the bed also will contribute to body flex. The goal will be to incorporate some panel gaps into the roof just like on the freedom top with rubber seals and channels as well to allow for the top to move a little if the cab and bed move independently. As for the cage, we are fabricating heavy duty bolt on brackets at the top and bottom of the cage rather than welding them into the existing frame so that if needed they can flex a little and not risk damaging the welds. Also with teh addition of the cage I am hoping that teh total flex of the bed will be reduced as well. If it still all flexes too much after that, we will end up joining the cab and bed, but I am trying to avoid that if possible.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Following the fun! :movember:

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great question. Overall the distance between the front and rear axles is only 13" longer than a JLU, so total flex should be a little more than a Wrangler just from that alone, but also the separation of the cab front the bed also will contribute to body flex. The goal will be to incorporate some panel gaps into the roof just like on the freedom top with rubber seals and channels as well to allow for the top to move a little if the cab and bed move independently. As for the cage, we are fabricating heavy duty bolt on brackets at the top and bottom of the cage rather than welding them into the existing frame so that if needed they can flex a little and not risk damaging the welds. Also with teh addition of the cage I am hoping that teh total flex of the bed will be reduced as well. If it still all flexes too much after that, we will end up joining the cab and bed, but I am trying to avoid that if possible.
I posted here before about doing an external cage rack that covered the bed & body as well as mounted to the bed & body and I think the consensus was it was a bad idea to try to use one system that attaches to both the bed & cab. I think when you are off roading the torque forces between the bed and cab are much more than you are considering.
There is a reason why the manufacturer leaves a decent size gap between the bed & cab not only on jeeps but other vehicles.
I think your idea is awesome and I like the idea of 1 top over the bed & cab but I would consult with an engineer and some experts in the off roading community before you sink too much money into this.
You may be able to weld the 2 tubs together to eliminate this but I'm no expert.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
The goal will be to incorporate some panel gaps into the roof just like on the freedom top with rubber seals and channels as well to allow for the top to move a little if the cab and bed move independently. As for the cage, we are fabricating heavy duty bolt on brackets at the top and bottom of the cage rather than welding them into the existing frame so that if needed they can flex a little and not risk damaging the welds.
You might consider a custom soft top at the rear to deal with the flex.
For the cage you probably want to have no solid connection - you need something like a ball and socket with a flexible joint.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Nice project

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Just to throw this out there: the new GRAND Wagoneer is reported to be a 3-row body on frame vehicle and not based off of the unibody Durango or Grand Cherokee. The Wagoneer may indeed be of the Durango family.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
You might consider a custom soft top at the rear to deal with the flex.
For the cage you probably want to have no solid connection - you need something like a ball and socket with a flexible joint.
Thank you for the thought on the flex joints, I have never seen that on a cage, have you seen that before? I would like to learn more if you know about that type of a setup.

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
We are going to use the Teraflex JK seat adapter, and after test fitting it, the seat height is actually at a good height, maybe an inch high. I would maybe try to lower it a bit more if I could for head height, but as far as legs and seated height it feels comfortable.

How are you planning on raising the bench seat to a comfortable height? Or are you planning on one of these seats?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
How are you planning on raising the bench seat to a comfortable height? Or are you planning on one of these seats?

We are going to use the Teraflex JK seat adapter, and after test fitting it, the seat height is actually at a good height, maybe an inch high. Ii would maybe try to lower it a bit more if I could for head height, but as far as legs and seated height it feels comfortable.
Say what?

Sorry, I was typing on the phone and didn't realize my reply was shifted into the quoted text area.
Sponsored