Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Ready to make your non-functional hood a little more functional?

We got the chance to install a set of the S&B Filters Hood Scoops on a Rubicon hood last Friday and shot a how-to install video:

S&B Filters Air Hood Scoop System: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1014-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoop-system

S&B Filters Air Hood Scoops ONLY Kit: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hood-accessories/as-1015-s-b-filters-air-hood-scoops-only-kit

S&B Filters Cold Air Intake kit w/ cotton filter: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/intake-systems/75-5121-s-b-cold-air-intake-cotton-filter

Jeep Gladiator S&B Air Intake Hood Scoops For Gladiator Rubicon SBFilters-Hood-Scoo
Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wondering about this, just don't know if I like the idea of all that exposure I open the engine bay up to. I live in FL, so afternoon rain showers are for sure a common thing. I'd hate to get caught up in the rain and have water blowing into the passenger scoop and all over the battery and electrical right there.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
We hear you on that.

We're up in the rainy Pacific Northwest and are waiting for the next rainy day to come by so we can test them out.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We hear you on that.

We're up in the rainy Pacific Northwest and are waiting for the next rainy day to come by so we can test them out.
Great! If you don’t mind please post the review on that. I’d be in for it if the rain isn’t bad.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
To my eye, these look nice and certainly appear to be well made but I ask about the actual effectiveness when at speed. There is a negative pressure area there being that far back on the hood. It makes more sense to have the opening facing the windshield to aid in the extraction of hot air at speed aided by the inflow of air through the grille. If the side/ fender vents were made functional, even better.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To my eye, these look nice and certainly appear to be well made but I ask about the actual effectiveness when at speed. There is a negative pressure area there being that far back on the hood. It makes more sense to have the opening facing the windshield to aid in the extraction of hot air at speed aided by the inflow of air through the grille. If the side/ fender vents were made functional, even better.
Good observation! I didn’t think about the air coming in through the front might affect the air trying to come in through the top. I DID wonder if making the side vents functional would help in some way. I haven’t seen anything (confess I haven’t searched too hard) for side centuries replacements that are functional. I did wonder if simply, and cleanly, drilling out holes in the mesh would help.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Quadratech has an induction hood with a rear facing opening with a raised lip at the lower edge that prevents rain from entering. Paint to match. My YJ had the rear facing scoop for the cabin air vent at the base of the windshield where there is positive pressure. Very effective. Facing forward, zilch. I suppose some yarn taped to the hood can reveal the error or truth of my reasoning.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had some friends in a Jeep club I was in that had put vents on sides of hood that helped in letting out heat (Savannah GA) I added vents in my MJ and XJ to vent out heat not for force air in it did seem to help in lowering under hood temps. when rock crawling. That was with 4.0s (mine and few others) and the rest was running V8s a few "warmed over" another that had a XJ had stroked 4.0 punched out.

desertrecon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator JTR Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Looks super clean and easy install. But here we have a lot of sand and dust, won't be useful in our country.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Pretty useless in any country, IMO. In the motorcycle world these are farkles. Dress up items with no useful purpose. Eye candy. They will sell like hotcakes nonetheless.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
so this post isn't actually complete or very factual...One, I am almost positive that the side vents are functional. Jeep did that with the JL/JT to help eliminate hood flap that everyone is aware of in the JK's...(don't remember if my TJ had the same issue)...and two, the passenger's side vent is designed to be used in conjunction with S-B's cold air intake. I cannot say whether or not this negative air pressure region would prevent any forced air from reaching the CAI, but that is what the scoop is designed for, the left one is designed for symmetry and I suppose heat release. I don't really think hydro lock is a concern simply from driving in the rain. Dust maybe, but not sure you are getting more with this than you would with a stock air intake...snorkels are designed to raise the intake above the dust created when driving behind other vehicles (added forging height is a secondary benefit, not the primary).

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so this post isn't actually complete or very factual...One, I am almost positive that the side vents are functional. Jeep did that with the JL/JT to help eliminate hood flap that everyone is aware of in the JK's...(don't remember if my TJ had the same issue)...and two, the passenger's side vent is designed to be used in conjunction with S-B's cold air intake. I cannot say whether or not this negative air pressure region would prevent any forced air from reaching the CAI, but that is what the scoop is designed for, the left one is designed for symmetry and I suppose heat release. I don't really think hydro lock is a concern simply from driving in the rain. Dust maybe, but not sure you are getting more with this than you would with a stock air intake...snorkels are designed to raise the intake above the dust created when driving behind other vehicles (added forging height is a secondary benefit, not the primary).
You are correct in that the scoop is designed to bring cold air into the air box... if you are using that kit.
What we have been talking about is the kit that doesn't go with the S&B cold air filter. Just two functional vents on the hood. As for the side vents I have read they are functional, but jeep also claims the hood vents on top are functional. Their version of functional however is different than what we expect. I think most that have researched the hood vents can agree they are far from functional. I haven't seen the side vents in person so I don't know how much more functional they are than the hood vents or how much more open the side vents are.

Maybe someone that has one can shine a light from the inside out and show how open they are?

Also yes, I did read the same as you that they are supposed to help with hood flutter (my TJ is BAD). From my understanding it much improved if not eliminated!

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are correct in that the scoop is designed to bring cold air into the air box... if you are using that kit.
What we have been talking about is the kit that doesn't go with the S&B cold air filter. Just two functional vents on the hood. As for the side vents I have read they are functional, but jeep also claims the hood vents on top are functional. Their version of functional however is different than what we expect. I think most that have researched the hood vents can agree they are far from functional. I haven't seen the side vents in person so I don't know how much more functional they are than the hood vents or how much more open the side vents are.

Maybe someone that has one can shine a light from the inside out and show how open they are?

Also yes, I did read the same as you that they are supposed to help with hood flutter (my TJ is BAD). From my understanding it much improved if not eliminated!
Hood flutter is gone. My JK scared me...been years since I had my TJ, so can't remember. One of the first things I did with my JK was replace the hood latches. The JL/JT have better latches than the JK and TJ, so this could be a contributor, but hood flutter for me is nonexistent in my JT. I'm not worried about heat dissipation either. I have well vented inner fenders and haven't had an issue like I used to with my old 4.0 inline 6's. I have been debating a snorkel, but the Rugged Ridge is getting mixed reviews...and I don't like the looks of the ARB. I have looked at River Raider....these scoops are interesting to me, but I would like an option to add a snorkel extension to the right one.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hood flutter is gone. My JK scared me...been years since I had my TJ, so can't remember. One of the first things I did with my JK was replace the hood latches. The JL/JT have better latches than the JK and TJ, so this could be a contributor, but hood flutter for me is nonexistent in my JT. I'm not worried about heat dissipation either. I have well vented inner fenders and haven't had an issue like I used to with my old 4.0 inline 6's. I have been debating a snorkel, but the Rugged Ridge is getting mixed reviews...and I don't like the looks of the ARB. I have looked at River Raider....these scoops are interesting to me, but I would like an option to add a snorkel extension to the right one.
I was contemplating the RR snorkel too, it looks sharp when body matched. I didn’t know it was getting mixed reviews... what have you heard seen on problems with it?

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was contemplating the RR snorkel too, it looks sharp when body matched. I didn’t know it was getting mixed reviews... what have you heard seen on problems with it?
looks like there are install and fit issues with it
Sponsored