Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I made a bracket to mount the winch/compressor solenoid. I will use AUX3 to activate one side of the two way solenoid for the compressor, and AUX4 to flip it to the winch with a relay. It's been awhile since I did any metal fab, so take it easy. I'm pretty happy with it though.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build IMG_20210204_155613
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build IMG_20210204_160457

Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build IMG_20210205_092904

Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build IMG_20210206_011627

I eliminated all of the secondary switching harness, because all I need is OBA. There is a small hot wire on the three pin connector for the switch (red, purple, black) on the dual compressor that is not used. I just cut the connector to the harness off and wired the switch to the hot lead for the compressor relays and the LED....easy peasy and eliminated like three miles of wire. :rock:

Updated 3-19-21:
Finally got around to installing this thing. I decided to go with the original plan and put it in the intended spot under the driver rear seat. Ran 6ga wire from the solenoid over to the driver side in the engine bay.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210319_140345

There is a passthrough plug in the firewall that was a perfect spot to run the cable.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210319_140608

Dropped in right at the driver side kick panel. I bought the Anderson connector thinking I would use both + and - but noticed this open ground lug at the bottom of the door frame and just used that for the grounds.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210319_143846

This trim panel was a little stubborn to get off in the front since it's hard to see under there, but it does come off.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210319_143922

So there it sits. Surprisingly not as loud inside the cab as I had expected. My dog won't like it, but she can just get out and take a walk as I air up lol.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210319_143937

All that is left to do is add the chuck. I am not going to bother running air lines all over the truck at this point, just maybe a 4-way hose I will store behind the seat.

Update: 5-18-21
Added UpDown Air Universal kit. Nice simple unit that comes with hose T's and Y's and schrader valves. Did a little tweaking to the bracket to get it to sit at a better angle so I could use the bracket for the tire inflation hoses on the driver side. I just drilled a couple of holes for the schrader valves and to mount the bracket to the MORE compressor mount. Worked out nicely. Ran a hose to the other side and made a metal bracket to mount the schrader valves over there also, but need to decide how to mount the bracket.

Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210512_155342

Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210512_155408

Update 8-25-21:
I added a terminal block to the bracket to connect all the AUX switch wires to. I am not currently using the 2x 40 amp ones, but it will be much easier to connect to them later on. I will clean up the extra length of cable for the winch next, but it is fine for now.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210825_184412_2400

I used one of the floormat mounts for the shrader valve bracket on the passenger side. I deleted the passenger side seat and have a platform that goes above the bracket, so no worries about anything bumping it. So far this setup has worked out great.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210826_090849
Sponsored

Last edited:

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Not to bad, what material did you use for the bracket? Cutting round relief in the bend, nice shows you still got the fab touch lol.

OP
OP
DankjeeP

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Thanks, it's 1/8th in. steel.

OP
OP
DankjeeP

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I decided to get to work on the steel bumper and winch plate.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build PlasticOn_20210206_161314
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build PlasticOff_20210206_165908

You need to drill a couple of holes in the shorter crush thingies to add taller crush thingies so they actually stick out beyond the winch to be useful. Very simple
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build CrushThingies_20210206_175417

Then add the new taller "bumperettes" that also come with the winch plate
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build BumperettesOn_20210206_175835

A couple of new brackets and hardware and the winch plate is loosely in place.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build WinchPlate_20210206_175857

Got the new bumper situated without too much hassle at all.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build StubbyOn_20210206_183335

I need to get the mopar winch adapter plate apparently that goes on the front so that is as far as I got for today. Sure is nice working on a new vehicle. Everything is so easy. 👍

Update:
Got the adapter plate and was able to finish up the winch. This was done a couple of weeks ago, just forgot to update.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210319_161626

So, thought I would share the schematic for the OBA and winch wiring. I used a 500A solenoid and 2 relays and 2 Aux Switches. This way nothing is powered unless the Jeep is running and I activate the Aux switch. Also, the compressor is disable if the winch is powered.
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build Winch_OBA_Schematic

Last edited:
OP
OP
DankjeeP

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Got the lift/wheels/tires/gears done finally. Clayton 2.5" Overland+ with Method 701 w/ Patagonia's and 4.88's
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210729_144648

Last edited:

Sponsored

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I like how you wired the oba to shut off if the winch is turned on. Nice safety for the solenoid

OP
OP
DankjeeP

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I like how you wired the oba to shut off if the winch is turned on. Nice safety for the solenoid
Thanks, yeah I doubt it would get turned on while winching since it is in the back, but wanted only 1 to be able to power up at a time. If I add an air tank it could kick on while winching otherwise.

OP
OP
DankjeeP

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Looks great!
Thanks haha! Very happy with the lift so far. :) Need to get past the gear break-in before we get to any serious off road to really test thing out.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So I'm about to buy an OBA system and was searching the forum and came upon this thread again. I'm trying to decide the best way to do it and it seems like a Frankenstein blend of updown air and innovative at products is where I'm leaning. I feel like the updown regulator is the best choice but want to mount it in the cab. I think I'm going to use innovative to mount the arb twin under the passenger seat and then mount the updown regulator under the driver seat. Just thinks it's funny that so far I've only found your build that has the regulator inside and I had already taken notice of your wiring design before.

Once again, nicely done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DankjeeP

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
So I'm about to buy an OBA system and was searching the forum and came upon this thread again. I'm trying to decide the best way to do it and it seems like a Frankenstein blend of updown air and innovative at products is where I'm leaning. I feel like the updown regulator is the best choice but want to mount it in the cab. I think I'm going to use innovative to mount the arb twin under the passenger seat and then mount the updown regulator under the driver seat. Just thinks it's funny that so far I've only found your build that has the regulator inside and I had already taken notice of your wiring design before.

Once again, nicely done.
Hey thanks!
The updown "universal" reg works well, and mounted to my compressor mount with a little massaging. Makes for a compact package. Planning makes things easier, and it sounds like you are doing that, so good for you. I didn't find an off the shelf setup that fit the way I wanted to do things so got a little creative. Good luck with your setup!

OP
OP
DankjeeP

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Now that I got the 37's on finally, a couple of other items are needed. Waited for 2 months for the Spicer chromo shafts with FAD delete, but finally gave up and decided to spend a little more and get the RCV's with FAD delete. I think it is a smart move, and they were in stock and here in 3 days. So double bonus. Also adding tie rod and dampener from Steer Smarts. The drag links are on back order so no go there. Next round I guess. For the rear, same f'n deal. Chromo shafts from Spicer are $210 each and would take like 1 hr to install and make me feel a lot better, but they are on backorder for 16 weeks now they say on the web. NE1 got a line on chromoly shafts for the rear of the JT? Going to Moab in Oct. Would hate to break. I have never broken an axle shaft. I'm good up front, but who knows out back.

Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210828_155235

Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210922_144037_2400

Update 9-21:
Finally got the Spicer chromoly shafts today. Just in time for our trip to Moab next week. It's hot as blazes here today so planning to try to get everything done in the next couple of days. Hopefully everything goes well and we can hit the road on Thursday next week... :rock:

update 9-23:
Got started last night and finished the RCV's up front today
Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210923_143348_2400

Jeep Gladiator DankJeep's JT build 20210923_143354_2400
Sponsored

Last edited: