Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow, Maserati Ghibli, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
As we transitioned to home schooling our son, we started dreaming about being able to teach geology at the Grand Canyon, discuss pre-columbian history in Chaco Canyon and glaciers in the rockies. We decided that the combination of a Jeep Gladiator max tow and a 23ft Airstream International travel trailer would best meet our needs and started shopping...

The Jeep Gladiator was ordered from a local dealership on July 27th, 2021 and the Airstream was ordered a few months later to make sure it wouldn't get delivered before the truck. Fast forward a few months and I picked up the Jeep Gladiator on December 10th, 2021 with the Airstream expected at the local dealership on January 7th, 2022.

Jeep Gladiator National Parks Sabbatical 3EACB12F-0E1F-411A-B5F0-1378E92395D2_1_102_o
Sponsored

OP
OP
ygrignon

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Normally you would expect the first mods to show up soon after taking delivery of the JT but not in this case. Sure, I have a bunch of boxes sitting around in my garage waiting to be opened and installed but the JT decided to give me some trouble right off the bat.

The Jeep had 18 miles to the odometer when it got to the dealership and by the time I took it home it had reached 55 miles. However in the process it had developed a few troubling symptoms:
  • accelerating on the freeway resulted in vibrations similar to what you would experience on a washboard road
  • when I got off the highway, the truck idled was very rough to the point that I was wondering if it would stall
  • when I got home I could smell an overpowering smell of gasoline
Obviously I reached out to the dealer immediately and scheduled to drop the JT off for diagnostic the following morning i.e. Today December 11th.

Firing the JT back up this morning quickly resulted in thick white smoke coming out the exhaust. I made it to the local farmer's market without too much trouble except for the rough idle. However, leaving the farmer's market required 3 or 4 attempts to start the JT. Once I got it started and welcomed the Check Engine light, I directly went to the dealership which was just a few minutes away. I left the truck running while I was relating the symptoms to the service advisor. They decided to turn it off due to the strong gas smell but were unable to start it again and had to push it into the service bay.

My daughter drove be back home and now we wait for the verdict...

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Normally you would expect the first mods to show up soon after taking delivery of the JT but not in this case. Sure, I have a bunch of boxes sitting around in my garage waiting to be opened and installed but the JT decided to give me some trouble right off the bat.

The Jeep had 18 miles to the odometer when it got to the dealership and by the time I took it home it had reached 55 miles. However in the process it had developed a few troubling symptoms:
  • accelerating on the freeway resulted in vibrations similar to what you would experience on a washboard road
  • when I got off the highway, the truck idled was very rough to the point that I was wondering if it would stall
  • when I got home I could smell an overpowering smell of gasoline
Obviously I reached out to the dealer immediately and scheduled to drop the JT off for diagnostic the following morning i.e. Today December 11th.

Firing the JT back up this morning quickly resulted in thick white smoke coming out the exhaust. I made it to the local farmer's market without too much trouble except for the rough idle. However, leaving the farmer's market required 3 or 4 attempts to start the JT. Once I got it started and welcomed the Check Engine light, I directly went to the dealership which was just a few minutes away. I left the truck running while I was relating the symptoms to the service advisor. They decided to turn it off due to the strong gas smell but were unable to start it again and had to push it into the service bay.

My daughter drove be back home and now we wait for the verdict...
Please be sure to keep us up to speed on the dealer’s findings and also on your journey…it sounds like a fantastic experience is coming.

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise, BMW 328I, Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to hear about this hiccup. I envy your upcoming trips and hope to hear about how your mods affect towing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ygrignon

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just heard back from the service manager. It looks like the truck has a faulty PCM causing a fuel injector to stay open. They need to replace the PCM and obviously it's backordered. Doesn't look like I'm going anywhere anytime soon :headbang:

Last edited:

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a PCM recall in the mail, to get a reflash, setting up service call next week when I start my Holidays

OP
OP
ygrignon

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Unexpectedly, the replacement PCM made it by December 22nd and was installed on December 23rd. I happily picked up the Jeep from the dealer the same day and brought it back home.

On Christmas Eve the family went out to drive through the neighborhood to survey the Christmas lights. My daughter was driving and at some point she noticed the CEL was back. I quickly texted this development to my service advisor knowing that I wouldn’t get a response until after Christmas.

On Christmas Day I decided to drive the 2 miles from my house to the gas station to fill up the JT in spite of the Merry CEL. Turns out that’s was a bad idea as this time around it decided to get into limp mode limiting speed to 20ish mph and by the time I pulled into the neighborhood Shell gas station it woundn’t go beyond 10 mph with the CEL flashing. It totally gave up before making it to the pump stubordingly refusing to get out of park mode or to restart the engine. This forced me to abandon it hazard lights flashing and walk back home. The next step was to get it towed back home since there is literally no other place to tow it to on Christmas Day!

Surprisingly it only took 45 minutes to get a tow truck to the gas station even though it took 3 calls to Chrysler roadside assistance to get it scheduled. Obviously by the time the flatbed tow truck made it the truck was happy to start again although the transmission was still refusing to cooperate. After the tow truck driver fiddled for a while under the truck I was able to drive it up the flatbed and get it home.

Jeep Gladiator National Parks Sabbatical 0B04758B-D83B-4296-951D-9985DF5D5B6F

Last edited:

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
As we transitioned to home schooling our son, we started dreaming about being able to teach geology at the Grand Canyon, discuss pre-columbian history in Chaco Canyon and glaciers in the rockies. We decided that the combination of a Jeep Gladiator max tow and a 23ft Airstream International travel trailer would best meet our needs and started shopping...

The Jeep Gladiator was ordered from a local dealership on July 27th, 2021 and the Airstream was ordered a few months later to make sure it wouldn't get delivered before the truck. Fast forward a few months and I picked up the Jeep Gladiator on December 10th, 2021 with the Airstream expected at the local dealership on January 7th, 2022.

3EACB12F-0E1F-411A-B5F0-1378E92395D2_1_102_o.jpeg
Swing through Utah, there is amazing geology up there. Arches, White pocket is surreal, wild shit in Capitol reef. The mighty five is a must do. Oh, and LOTS of off road opportunities.
White rim etc, it just goes on and on. If my wife could be dislodged from SoCal I would probably be living there.

Last edited:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry your having such a craptastic experience OP. I hooe your dealership makes it right.

i realize the forums are where people go for answers so its far from an accurate representation of the brand. But i feel like im seeing this sorta issue more and more on newer Jts…i wonder if jeep skimped on the pcm builds or something in a measure to cope with the resister shortage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ygrignon

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sorry your having such a craptastic experience OP. I hooe your dealership makes it right.

i realize the forums are where people go for answers so its far from an accurate representation of the brand. But i feel like im seeing this sorta issue more and more on newer Jts…i wonder if jeep skimped on the pcm builds or something in a measure to cope with the resister shortage.
I feel like I got a Frankenstein built with some MY2021 and some MY2022 parts and they somehow don’t get along.

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
For how bad its going you seem to be handling it well! I wish you the best and hope that the dealership can sort it out as a Christmas present for you.

OP
OP
ygrignon

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
For how bad its going you seem to be handling it well! I wish you the best and hope that the dealership can sort it out as a Christmas present for you.
I ordered this truck as an adventure vehicle. It’s definitely delivering…

I’ll be honest and say that at this point it is very hard to think that it will be the vehicle used for our national parks tour. I would always be on the lookout for some odd sound or vibration and that’s not how I want to spend that time.

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered this truck as an adventure vehicle. It’s definitely delivering…

I’ll be honest and say that at this point it is very hard to think that it will be the vehicle used for our national parks tour. I would always be on the lookout for some odd sound or vibration and that’s not how I want to spend that time.
I know that feeling, when every expansion joint in the highway is another possible critical issue with the vehicle in your brain. And it takes me like 500 to 700 miles to get over the fear that everything will fall apart.

I really hope they solve it for you and you can have experience the pictures they show in the commercials: tow an airstream with a happy family of 2.5 kids and a golden retriever! :)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
Sorry to hear this. You have an injector sticking open. Unfortunately you probably have some cylinder scarring due to washing it down with fuel. I would demand them check the cylinder wall before accepting any fix. This same thing happened to me in my eco boost Lincoln. 13k later (thankful for warranty) new engine it was fixed. Whenever a injector sticks open it WILL wash the wall down, removing the thin oil layer.
Sponsored