Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We were driving to meet my wife's aunt and sister for lunch. my wife made some comment about the snow and ice and accidents and all and for some reason, I mentioned the number of forum members who have been rear-ended and how the other party typically didn't fare to well - but the Gladiator seemed to do well.
There was one in particular that I believe just had a bumper replaced and that was that. She made some comment about mine and I said well, I have the stock plastic bumper - it likely wouldn't hold up too well, I'm not really sure what any of the others had, stock or steel bumpers. I said a steel bumper of course should hold up better than stock as it's a metal shell covered in plastic and likely wouldn't take a whole lot to bend it a bit. I then said - you realize I have a steel bumper on this truck - the original I was just afraid it wouldn't take too much if bumped or banged in a parking lot or a minor fender bender.
Her next comment took me by surprise - "why don't you get a steel bumper for the back of this, then?"

So I've been doing some searches here and there's a few comments here and there but not really the same information that's out there on front bumpers.
I'd like to keep the Oracle backup lights I have (since i've invested in them already and they are great) and am not looking to make the thing a tank - but - how stout are the factory rear bumpers REALLY and are there bumpers that would allow the same hooks and bumper mounted backup lights and so on?
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The plastic bumper doesn’t hold up well at all. Especially, if it gets hit on the outer edges. there’s barely any metal there behind the plastic. Mine got hit there and there was nothing to stop it from pushing into the bedside and tweaking it. Thankfully, it was a parking lot hit or I would have needed a new bedside vs being able to pull the bedside out 1/4” and fix the slight wrinkle left with PDR. I couldn’t open my tailgate when it happened, I fixed that to push it 1/4” to the right. Porta power to pull it backwards.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I thought I had pics of the back side of the stock plastic bumper, but I can’t find them. There is some fairly substantial metal back there for the inner 75% or so and let’s not forget how beefy the tow package hitch is.

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I had pics of the back side of the stock plastic bumper, but I can’t find them. There is some fairly substantial metal back there for the inner 75% or so and let’s not forget how beefy the tow package hitch is.
True, but no guarantee of a "Square hit".
The receiver frame is substantial and bolts direct to the frame on each end but that's only the middle area. If they don't hit the middle then it's body damage besides bent bumper.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
True, but no guarantee of a "Square hit".
The receiver frame is substantial and bolts direct to the frame on each end but that's only the middle area. If they don't hit the middle then it's body damage besides bent bumper.
Yes. Agreed. I literally had that happen and got body damage that won’t have been substantial if it wasn’t a parking lot incident.

if you want to keep your oracle back up lights and want a metal bumper, why not just get a metal Rubicon rear bumper?

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Oem is pretty expensive especially if you want the side bars, probably around $1000 all in. Aftermarket would probably be stronger and cost a lot less, I am sure you could sell your Oracle backup lights to recoup some of their cost.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Oem is pretty expensive especially if you want the side bars, probably around $1000 all in. Aftermarket would probably be stronger and cost a lot less, I am sure you could sell your Oracle backup lights to recoup some of their cost.
We are talking about the rear bumper. It’s a little over $500 (IIRC) and available as an accessory.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. Agreed. I literally had that happen and got body damage that won’t have been substantial if it wasn’t a parking lot incident.

if you want to keep your oracle back up lights and want a metal bumper, why not just get a metal Rubicon rear bumper?
That was an idea........
Would be a good time to add the second hook in the back.

Haven't really found much discussion on rear bumpers in the forums here. Have bought multiple things through Benny - he'd be my first choice if I went new OEM. No one wants to ship a bumper so finding a take-off could be very difficult.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are talking about the rear bumper. It’s a little over $500 (IIRC) and available as an accessory.
Yup, the Rubicon also comes with metal side bars that are around $400 with the brackets to install them on a non Rubicon so that plus the bumper are pretty close to $1000

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Yup, the Rubicon also comes with metal side bars that are around $400 with the brackets to install them on a non Rubicon so that plus the bumper are pretty close to $1000
Oh ok. I understand what’s you are saying now. You’re talking about the rear sliders.

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Only if you want those and/or have a Rubicon. I do not have a Rubicon and to me, those are options.
If you want a bumper it's closer to 600 new.

Last edited:

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
I backed into a tree and slammed my rear end on many a rock and bumper held up pretty stout. I know it might not be the force of a fender bender but for what it's worth, the bumper survived the weight of my ass end falling on a rock from about a foot drop.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh ok. I understand what’s you are saying now. You’re talking about the rear sliders.
Seems like the rear sliders tie in the corners to the frame and would provide more protection in a rear collision that was off to one side.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Only if you want those and/or have a Rubicon. I do not have a Rubicon and to me, those are options.
If you want a bumper it's closer to 600 new.
The only thing that sucks about the Mopar accessory rear bumper is it doesn’t have the holes for the back up sensors. It’s easy to drill out the holes on the plastic bumper. I’ve done it and it even has the holes outlined on the back, but it would be more work on a metal bumper. Take off with the sensors (if you have back up sensors) would be ideal.
Sponsored