Senpai

First Name
Kolbe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra SE 2017
Hey yall,
Im new here and to be honest new to Jeeps (always wanted one, grew up with them in the family and soon graduating college and as soon as I seen the Gladiator I knew it had to be my first big purchase). I have a vision in mind, I want the Sport S but my question is what is the typical lift offered by dealer and how much? Also, what is the largest tire that could fit with the accompanying lift? It will primarily be used for on road. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon (sold), 2008 Rubicon (sold), 2003 Musso, 2016 Outback, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon (ordered)
Lifts are, for the most part, agnostic when it comes to trim package. A Mopar lift kit for example works on all from the base sport to the Rubicon.

To answer your question about dealer, they'll most likely install the Mopar lift, because it's Mopar. Many like this route because it typically doesn't affect the warranty as long as the dealer installs it. Others don't really like it because, at about 2k give or take, it isn't really all that special, and a touch overpriced (however can you put a price on warranty coverage?).

You should be able to fit 37's under there, but it'll hamper your acceleration, braking, and put a lot of strain on things increasing the likelihood of stuff breaking, especially if you take it off road at all. I'm sure other people will have different opinions, but I'm probably going to stick to 35's till I'm ready to beef the weak parts up.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What part of Korea? My daughter-in-law is from there and she and my son live there now and then.......

Anyway, any time you deviate, you do change things up. If you love a snappy jump off the line, bigger tires will take that away. It's the same as putting taller gears (going from 4.10:1 to say just for sake of argument, 3.87:1 or something similar "depending" on the tire difference.
Offset wheels can get you into brake steer issues - hit the brakes and suddenly it doesn't steer as nicely.
Offset wheels will change how hard or easy it steers. Widen the track and the Ackermann geometry changes - one wheel will scrub more on tight turns (toe out on turns)

I could go into great detail, but look up SAI and scrub radius - you change how the vehicle steers while braking, the effort to turn while sitting, parking, whether or not the vehicle will wander, be hard or easy to steer, and more, by changing wheel offset. (in fact, I wonder if some of the steering issues noted are due to tire and wheel changes from dead-stock - maybe the JT is more sensitive to that?)
Wheels offset to the outside give a positive scrub radius.
Tuning suspension for negative scrub radius generates a slight toe-in force that reduces any tendency to change direction in the way that positive scrub radius can allow. So wheels offset to the outside could lead to less steering stability on the highway.

I could write quite a bit on this as it's part of my training and I did steering and alignment and front suspension for years but I'll just toss out the terms and folks can dig as needed if they desire.

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon (sold), 2008 Rubicon (sold), 2003 Musso, 2016 Outback, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon (ordered)
I'm at Osan Air Base, at least for the next couple of weeks then back to the states! Nice write up on scrub radius, not something I took into account on my first build and hated driving out on the street as a result. It was a blast off road though!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at Osan Air Base, at least for the next couple of weeks then back to the states! Nice write up on scrub radius, not something I took into account on my first build and hated driving out on the street as a result. It was a blast off road though!
I'm not about to tell anyone "DON'T DO IT!!", I just try to share my experiences and education so people can make informed choices or decisions and know what "may" happen or what a result "could" be with changes.
I have a feeling I'll be wanting to make a change or two to mine if/when I get it. It's ordered but the last time I waited for a new vehicle it was another 4wd vehicle - the father to the modern unibody Jeep - a 1984 Eagle I ordered. Ordered it in December - it finally arrived in February 84.
I see the talk of leveling 'em - and think I may want to do that, perhaps a SLIGHT lift - just for kicks. Could end up with slightly fatter tires but I have no clue what the tires on an Overland look like because no dealer had any when I looked. All Sport and Rubicon.
I've been into cars since I was 14. I'm 62 and my shop is full............mostly hobby now, restorations, some performance stuff (drag racing) but mostly stock street builds.

Wondered about Korea - my son went there several years ago after he graduated from college and wasn't able to find work he wanted. He went to teach English. He met a young lady in the school where he taught - she is Korean and also taught English there. They split their time between the states and Korea where she now owns two schools.
Assuming you are there as a member of our military - thank you. Safe travels back. Man is that a long flight. Went there last February to visit my son and DIL and that was a great experience. I'd go back - the people are great and now I know some of the food I like.

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
If you primarily run on roads, why lift it at all? A stock Sport S will take 35s with the front bumper air closeouts removed. I find the stock 33 ATs fine for driving on both paved and gravel roads. Adding a lift is more for off road where you need the additional clearance.
Cheers

OP
OP

Senpai

First Name
Kolbe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra SE 2017
If you primarily run on roads, why lift it at all? A stock Sport S will take 35s with the front bumper air closeouts removed. I find the stock 33 ATs fine for driving on both paved and gravel roads. Adding a lift is more for off road where you need the additional clearance.
Cheers
Its more of a looks appeal to me, I personally just like larger tires; I figure getting a lift means I can fit in larger tires.

I appreciate everyones responses btw. Very informative and will be looking up Scrub Radius for sure.
Sponsored