First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
I have 37 nitto ridge grapplers and a Mopar 2 inch lift I had dealer install. Nitto calculated 30 psi to be ideal fill pressure. I’ve noticed when it gets cold and pressure drops to 28, I have substantial wheel wobble, possibly death wobble, when I hit small potholes. It completely goes away the higher the psi with the smoothest ride around 35 psi. Chalk test confirmed 30 psi to be ideal. Do the tires have to be balanced at appropriate psi, such as 30? Dealer had psi at 37 when I picked it up.
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of things to check:

1. Did they torque all bolts after the lift was installed when the JT was off the lift and on the ground?
  2. Did they show you an alignment readout?
  3. Is your axle centered under the truck; measure the tires sticking out beyond the fenders using a 2x4 or straight edge.
I went through DW after getting a new HD tie rod, drag link, track bar, upper and lower adjustable control arms installed. I’m running BFG 37’s.

If I hit any bump over 25MPH I had to come a complete stop. Went back to the installer and they re-torqued everything properly and realigned it. No more DW.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I would echo the recommendation to check torque on everything. It sounds like you have a “shimmy” rather than full blown DW (although things could start as a shimmy, then work it’s way to DW). Generally, if you’re not sure, then you don’t have DW...

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
You know when you have death wobble because as soon as it happens you think you are going to die if you don’t immediately stop the Jeep lol. The advice given above is what i would have given, recheck the torque etc. good luck.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
What rims do you have? Some after market rims require hub centric rings to properly center the rim and tires.
Sponsored