Rumbler Build

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I'm going to document my build here. Originally it was on Instagram, but somehow my old account got locked, and I had to restart, so now I'm going to put it here to have an easy place. I've been driving/modifying Jeeps for about 13 years now since I bought a rolled 1997 TJ 4 banger and fixed it up for my first car. Since then I've had another TJ, a JKUR, and a JLU as primary vehicles in addition to a few XJs and a 2500 Ram Cummins on the side. The idea for the Gladiator is to be a go-anywhere do-anything type of truck to support us adventuring and traveling as well as me working.

I started out with a base Max Tow that I had looked at a few months before the COVID stuff, but they wouldn't meet my price. A little into the lack of sales and they beat the price I had originally been going for and I couldn't pass it up. I originally wanted to wait for the diesel, but decided to jump on and wait for any issues with the diesels to work themselves out before I bought. I wanted Aux switches and cargo managment, but I might add those later.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587681999169

I had been squirreling away parts for months, and putting some front end parts on my JL that would swap over, so I had a laundry list of things to do when I got it home. First up was installing a set of Rubicon front Flares, and American Adventure Lab's Highline brace and inner fenders so that I could fit my 37's. I was very disappointed with the fitment of the inner fenders until I got to the rears and realized that they had accidentally sent me the ones for the JLU. This was my fault since I had originally ordered the JL version and had to call to get my order changed. Unfortunately, it wasn't caught on the way out and I received the wrong parts. AAL was awesome about communicating what had happened and getting the kits back, and I'm getting parts out of their next run to get my front fitment corrected, and put the rear ones on.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587682309589

Next up was an option that I wanted, but couldn't get with the Max Tow. Proximity entry. The hardware install was pretty straightforward on this, but getting the programming done was a bear. That's captures in the DIY section here. Fortunately, I got it working, and that combined with an AJT key fob makes life much better on the in and out of living with it every day.

I had my eyes on the Rock Slide Engineering steps for a while, and my wife blessed off on getting them after seeing them at EJS last year, and getting in and out of the Gladiator for a while. When they got in, they were way beefier than I expected, and the driver's side went on pretty easily. The passenger side was much more difficult than I expected. I guess I got a run where they were changing the hole positions, and my main slider did not line uo with the extension. I called RSE, and they told me to drill it out and it would be fine. I'm still waiting to hear back on what actually caused this and what they plan on doing about it. Other than that, very quality product, and I love having the steps.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587682816971

The step sliders are great. I am not a fan of the unfinished pinch seams on these Jeeps.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587682898133

You can see here where I used a tranfer punch to mark center on where I needed to move the holes to for fitment.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587682967660

I am a big fan of the grey dash, but I wanted to color match so that I could bring a little more of the Gator inside. I think that this turned out well.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587683463959

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587683035897

I also debadged some and rebadged some just because I like the onld Willy's emblem. And my wife surprised me with the Tennessee Gladiator sticker, which I am a big fan of.

Up next will probably be a Steersmarts track bar, Synergy brace, and some kind of upgraded steering stablizer. I've got some crazy wandering a dead space in the wheel even without the 37s, but the dealership "can't feel anything". Lots more on the list as funds and time allow. I currently have a ROAM bumper to put on with a winch, but I'm waiting on the availability of Nutserts, and some headliners on the way as well. I want to paint the interior of the top before I get the headliners on. I'm thinking about custom building a RTT to fit my needs, but not sure if I'll have the time to take that on when I could get the parts in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepRumbler

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
how did you color match your dash?
I pulled everything and painted it using the MOPAR touch up paint, with a couple of coats of clear over top. I used guides from the DIY section here for the steering wheel and the JL Forum for the dash.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587782875034

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I pulled everything and painted it using the MOPAR touch up paint, with a couple of coats of clear over top. I used guides from the DIY section here for the steering wheel and the JL Forum for the dash.

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1587782875034
In your process of doing this, did it seem feasible that you'd be able to pull the AC Vent rings out and paint them as well? I want to do this:

Jeep Gladiator Rumbler Build 1597096537141
Sponsored