Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
  • Banned
So, I have never driven a JEEP. I am looking forward to getting the JT, but several complaints on the JL have made me wonder how bad the drive will be. First I drive a Pacifica , a Tundra, also firetrucks .
Yesterday I got a JL as a loaner and wanted to give my perspective.
1. Complaint # 1. Soft top is too loud. From the complaints I have read. I imagine a weatherman standing in the middle of a hurricane screaming how they are "now experiencing winds of up to 100 mph" all while he can barely stand up. So My experience- While on the highway with top up and windows closed , and also windows and top down. We maintained a conversation at normal levels. Did not experience any obnoxious road noise.
2. Complaints #2. The stock radio system is garbage. We Had the volume up to 22 a little over half and the sound was plenty loud and quality sufficient.
3. Complaint #3 Steering is terrible. Ride is bumpy. Honestly I felt the steering was just as good as my tundra, better then some of the old freightliner engines I've driven haha. But also probably just as good as our van and old crv. Def handled the bumps in the road way better then my tundra.
4. The windshield did not crack for us either.

It seems the answer to ride quality and windnoise complaints from many JEEP guys is. " It's a jeep thing" which I am sure their is some truth, but is it really that bad? In my opinion; not at all.

. If the JT drives the same or better then the wrangler; wow it will drive amazing! Let me quote my wife who has not been 100% on board with me getting the JT. "No wonder we see so many JEEPs on the road, these are really nice" My daughters loved sitting in the back and I told them just wait till I get the gladiator. The smiles on their faces as we drove around with the top back is priceless.
Hopefully this gives a little perspective for other people who will be getting their first JEEP too.
Sponsored

Imjeli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
Some people just like to complain, except about the windshield. Give it time, they always seem to crack. 2 of the 3 I've owned did and I still expecting the 3rd to any day now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epb1981

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
  • Banned
Get a hard top and stereo upgrade . I know it’s cliche but it is a Jeep thing
My only issue with getting the alpine is then I have to do the 8" screen which is fine except then the ac controls will be the same as my Pacifica which I dont like. The hesitation on screen and push buttons. I prefer the turn dial A/C set up with the standard screen. Sounds lame I know... I just feel it is more responsive. I would probably have to do the sound upgrade aftermarket. Hard top I prefer the look but soft top is so convenient. Decisions decisions.

OP
OP
Epb1981

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
  • Banned
Some people just like to complain, except about the windshield. Give it time, they always seem to crack. 2 of the 3 I've owned did and I still expecting the 3rd to any day now.
Have you ever looked into the windshield protective screens?

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
The JT will be the second Jeep I've had the privilege of owning in one form or another, the first one being my mom's 1992 XJ Cherokee. We also rented a TJ in Moab a few years ago before I had my truck, loved it, also rented a JK in Hawaii last year on maui, again loved it, even took it on the back road to Lahaina that the renters claim is too rugged for their vehicles. We sprayed it down at a car wash after and you couldn't even tell we ever left the pavement.
It handled the dirt/gravel and formerly-paved sections (areas with sections of pavement so choppy you might as well be driving over rocks the size of your fist that were cemented in place randomly on an otherwise dirt road). Asside from some of the uniquely side-to-side rocking that you get with driving one of these vehicles, something that could be felt if you were just driving over lots of speed bumps, you could hardly tell you ever left the pavement with it. This was in a stock Sport model as well.

MPFit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500
JT will be my first Jeep. I test drove it; coming from a GMC Sierra I was more than happy. Better MPG, same seating capacity albeit smaller interior (I have 3 kids).. but it’s a convertible! Lol. I don’t tow much and long since sold my offshore boat. Now got a skiff. My wife’s first vehicle ever was a Jeep And she has always wanted another one. I can’t wait for mine to finally come in. I’m sure the kids will get a huge kick out of it, and we do beach days all the time and this will just enhance it all.

OP
OP
Epb1981

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
The JT will be the second Jeep I've had the privilege of owning in one form or another, the first one being my mom's 1992 XJ Cherokee. We also rented a TJ in Moab a few years ago before I had my truck, loved it, also rented a JK in Hawaii last year on maui, again loved it, even took it on the back road to Lahaina that the renters claim is too rugged for their vehicles. We sprayed it down at a car wash after and you couldn't even tell we ever left the pavement.
It handled the dirt/gravel and formerly-paved sections (areas with sections of pavement so choppy you might as well be driving over rocks the size of your fist that were cemented in place randomly on an otherwise dirt road). Asside from some of the uniquely side-to-side rocking that you get with driving one of these vehicles, something that could be felt if you were just driving over lots of speed bumps, you could hardly tell you ever left the pavement with it. This was in a stock Sport model as well.
Sounds like you have had some cool adventures! I havnt really considered the places I want to go until I decided I wanted the JT. The description of side to side over bumps is pretty good. I am in a new community and roads havnt been paved yet so I noticed some of that going over the manholes. Much better feeling then my other vehicles haha

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epb1981

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
JT will be my first Jeep. I test drove it; coming from a GMC Sierra I was more than happy. Better MPG, same seating capacity albeit smaller interior (I have 3 kids).. but it’s a convertible! Lol. I don’t tow much and long since sold my offshore boat. Now got a skiff. My wife’s first vehicle ever was a Jeep And she has always wanted another one. I can’t wait for mine to finally come in. I’m sure the kids will get a huge kick out of it, and we do beach days all the time and this will just enhance it all.
Haha. Have 3 kids too. Car seat fit . The hooks on JT are gonna make life so easy. I did learn from the drive to have a few hoodies on hand for the kids lol. . What color and trim did you order?

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
The Auto Climate does have manual buttons and a big knob in the middle to control air flow...I have had 2 JLUs and now the JT, all had the auto climate and I have NEVER used the climate controls via the touch screen.....just a FYI.
My only issue with getting the alpine is then I have to do the 8" screen which is fine except then the ac controls will be the same as my Pacifica which I dont like. The hesitation on screen and push buttons. I prefer the turn dial A/C set up with the standard screen. Sounds lame I know... I just feel it is more responsive. I would probably have to do the sound upgrade aftermarket. Hard top I prefer the look but soft top is so convenient. Decisions decisions.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
1. Complaint # 1. Soft top is too loud. From the complaints I have read. I imagine a weatherman standing in the middle of a hurricane screaming how they are "now experiencing winds of up to 100 mph" all while he can barely stand up. So My experience- While on the highway with top up and windows closed , and also windows and top down. We maintained a conversation at normal levels. Did not experience any obnoxious road noise.
So the only option available to obtain a hard top is the freedom top, correct?

Thanks for the perspective review, I'm in the same boat coming from non-Chrysler/Jeep vehicles to the first time in a Jeep. Hopefully at some point this summer i'm able to do a test drive myself.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
My only issue with getting the alpine is then I have to do the 8" screen
According to the Jeep builder, you can get the Alpine upgrade with the 7" . . . Sport S and Rubi, anyway. Haven't built an Overland . . .

lucky7t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JK Rubicon 4dr, 15 JK Sport 4dr
The Auto Climate does have manual buttons and a big knob in the middle to control air flow...I have had 2 JLUs and now the JT, all had the auto climate and I have NEVER used the climate controls via the touch screen.....just a FYI.
wait the touch screen has ac controls??? never knew that. I wish the touch screen had tire pressure controls. its insane i have to run this high pressure right now
Sponsored