Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I hope the diesel is ok.

I know going up Parley’s Canyon (I 80) at under 45MPH towing only 4,000 lbs is NOT ok.

Now. About that “Available Trailer Brake Controller” they keep lying about.....
Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
do you know if that warranty applies to where the Jeep is first registered , where it’s located at the time or where it’s currently registered?
I'm not sure about that.

CA *used* to have a special emissions sticker, calling out CA specifically -- not sure if this is still the case?
Jeep Gladiator First Drive Review of 2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel by TruckTrend 1601399959486

IF the CA sticker is there, and IF the car is currently registered in CA, I would think one could make a CA warranty claim.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Emissions systems (like EGR/DEF) are also covered under a different warranty: The Federal Emissions Warranty, and it is required by Federal Law.
"The Design and Defect warranty covers repair of emission control or emission related parts which fail to function or function improperly because of a defect in materials or workmanship during the vehicle's first 2 years/24,000 miles (8 years/80,000 miles for specified major components)."
Yes, the DEF system is one of the components only covered for 2/24,000.

The state of California has an additional warranty (on top of the Federal Warranty) that covers a lot more emissions parts than the Federal, and for 3, 5, 7, or 8 years, depending on the part. A cursory reading of the CA warranty makes it appear that the DEF is covered for at least 3/50,000, under the "any emissions-related part" wording below:
"Parts And Performance Covered For Three Years Or
50,000 Miles, Whichever Occurs First

California law requires FCA US LLC to warrant that if any emission-related part on your vehicle is defective, FCA US LLC will repair or replace the part. The repair or replacement will be made at no charge to you for diagnosis, parts or labor." (goes on... )

Further reading indicates that the Urea Tank assembly is covered for 7/70,000 under the CA law.
I've seen Gen 3 EcoDiesel owners on the Ram side report issues with the DEF tank/pump already and the costs they're being quoted for repair are insane, like everything else on the diesel. It's a little scary, to be honest. And from what some of them have said, the issues were NOT a result of user error. Who knows....

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I hope the diesel is ok.

I know going up Parley’s Canyon (I 80) at under 45MPH towing only 4,000 lbs is NOT ok.

Now. About that “Available Trailer Brake Controller” they keep lying about.....
my order for a diesel with the controller was accepted but it’s also still not built yet

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I just received what will probably be my final email from US Jeep Customer Care. We’ve been going back-and-forth for almost 2 years. Often times I got a letter back saying “ we recommend that you talk to your dealer“ (?!?!?!????!!!!) as if that’s not a completely insane idea.

my complaint is that most dealerships are filled with people who really don’t give a damn and are there because of the horrible mistakes they’ve made in life. Repeated visits will get you to salesman or sales managers who will say they will provide you with the mythical trailer brake controller.

most of my contacts at Jeep customer service are still completely clueless but the (available) trailer brake controller does not exist nor has it ever existed.

It takes quite a few email exchanges for them to finally go “Oh. Something must be wrong”. DUH!!!

At this point I’ve only had three requests:

1. Remove the lie about the “ available trailer brake controller“ on the gladiator website. Salesman read this shit and do real harm to customers.

2. Remove the trailer brake controller part number 82215652 from the Mopar website. You can click to buy and it will except money and keep it for a while when the powers that be know that this is fraud. This is not OK. This does harm.

3. Never ever ask me to talk to a goddamn Jeep dealership again “for the most current information“. Educating these morons has wasted days from my life that I will never be able to get back.

i’m sorry but November 29 will be two years since this stupid thing was shown at the LA auto show. I simply no longer have any room in my brain for optimism.

Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Reading the previous post… I must’ve gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. Don’t get me wrong. I think the gladiator is a completely awesome truck and I still want one. I do live in the mountains, however, and I do tow a small off-road pop-up camper. This requires that I will need to be able to go uphill (The V-6 doesn’t even come close but the diesel should) followed by the need to go downhill. Trailer brakes are a requirement and I’ve heard too many stories about the aftermarket units going crazy when fed through the Jeep computer system.

SmoothRegulator

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JT Overland Ecodiesel (EU spec)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
[...]
i’m sorry but November 29 will be two years since this stupid thing was shown at the LA auto show. I simply no longer have any room in my brain for optimism.
Ever since the diesel JT got announced, I rejoiced, since I hoped that the announcement of this engine might mean an end to my wait thatˋs been two years long now, as I live in Germany, where the gasser isnˋt officially sold and imports lack warranty and any decency in pricing.

But alas, no news of an introduction of the JT in any shape or form to the lineup of Jeep Germany as of now...
This is becoming such a frustrating exercise. And rumors that the 3.0 diesel might never even make it across the pond and that the JT, if introduced, might get the 2.0 of current Wranglers, which - compared to the 3.0- would be a joke.

So let me join you in kissing optimism goodbye...

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Reading the previous post… I must’ve gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. Don’t get me wrong. I think the gladiator is a completely awesome truck and I still want one. I do live in the mountains, however, and I do tow a small off-road pop-up camper. This requires that I will need to be able to go uphill (The V-6 doesn’t even come close but the diesel should) followed by the need to go downhill. Trailer brakes are a requirement and I’ve heard too many stories about the aftermarket units going crazy when fed through the Jeep computer system.
Read some of the Trailer Brake Controller threads in the Towing Section. The existing aftermarket Brake Controllers work just fine. If the proper wiring harness is not used between the factory plug and the controller, back feed into the system can cause the dashboard to light up. The controllers are not the problem, it is the internal Jeep communication system. Having a diode correctly installed in the wiring harness gets rid of the issue. Jeep is likely trying to fix the problem, without requiring the diode, and that is probably why the factory controller is still not available.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
If only I could transplant my 3.5ecoboost into my jeeps! Love it in my f150 and hauling *** up the mountain passes at no more than 2100rpm.

The 4.0 lacks so much power after moving to CO a few yrs back from FL that I had to turbo the thing to even make it bearable to drive to/from work. That and it being paired to the fat sluggish pig 4 speed auto.

Had the 3.0 diesel in wife's prior GC and loved it.

Replaced with a GC w/ 3.6 and refuse to drive it if we're going anywhere beyond the first mountain steep incline. This will be replaced next summer/fall with an ecoboost suv.

I want the JTR diesel but something about the crappy payload and not being able to have more than 2 people + 2 dogs in the thing w/ 400lbs of tongue weight doesn't sit right with me. I'm ok with the reduced towing capacity since my camper weighs 3500lbs loaded.
Yes - and this is the difference between living in the mountains and living at sea level. I respect the opinion of those who are sticking up for the 3.6 Pentastar, but I would guess that most of you do not live up high. I live at 8,200 feet, so when I start my naturally aspirated V6 in the morning, I have 15% less power than folks at sea level - and it gets worse the higher you go. I commute 3,000 feet down a steep canyon (only 120-130 days per year, thank God) - and back up - and I also drive over 10,000 feet regularly. The naturally aspirated V6 engines I've owned in "mid-size" 4x4s (3.6 Pentastar in a JK, and the 3.5 V6 in a 3rd Gen Tacoma) are under-powered IMHO. Specifically, they suffer from a lack of low-end torque. The power is decent when you rev em over 3300 rpm, so on-road you can usually stay in the power band (manual trans), but if you drop out of that power band you've got nothing. The Tacoma compounds the problem with gearing that accentuates the lack of low-end torque, but that's getting off-topic. But even in my JK, after adding steel bumpers, sliders, and a winch, I rarely saw 5th gear (let alone 6th).

Off-road, I had no complaints with the JK in 4-low. Jeep knows how to gear an off-road rig.

So I thought long and hard about the eco-diesel in the JT. Not only does it make lots of torque, but its got a turbo, which reduces power loss at elevation almost entirely. But like others have said, the emissions systems on modern diesels are problematic. So... wait on the JT V8, or take a risk on supercharging the Pentastar?

That was really long-winded. Sorry. I guess I posted to remind folks that we all live in different places, face different driving conditions, and have different requirements for our rigs.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Gladiator 4xe will be the sweet spot at elevation...turbo motor and electric drive train not affected by o2 levels

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Picked up my Overland Diesel today. Love it! Quiet too. Thanks to Travis Reynolds at Tri-City.
Jeep Gladiator First Drive Review of 2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel by TruckTrend 83AC8BAD-FA98-4FBD-83D0-454587C6E618
Jeep Gladiator First Drive Review of 2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel by TruckTrend 88836292-6194-46FF-8075-D850E9928DF1
Sponsored