Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
When you say x average during city driving, are you driving primarily in a city? With 37s and a heavy wheel, I could easily imagine low teens if your truck primarily saw city miles.

Editing, just noticed your avatar. Yeah, massive MPG hit on that setup assuming that is your truck. Not only due to the poke drag and weight, but also the aggressive offset forcing your tires to fight themselves to track straight given our limited adjustability.
Sponsored

azaustin

First Name
Willliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2014 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired
There is a recall affecting some diesel engines that reduced DEF fluid consumption and increased MPG. I don't remember the specifics but there is a thread on it. Definitely seems like you have an issue. I'm assuming you've calibrated for tire size.
I just had the DEF recall done on my 2021 diesel Gladiator Rubicon and noticed a 2-3 mpg increase on my last round-trip to Flagstaff from Lake Havasu. It seems to be getting better mileage around town too. Mileage on the engine could also be a factor as I just turned 11,000 miles on the odometer. I usually calculate mileage from gallons used versus miles driven. When I first got the truck the fuel mileage readout was optimistic by 2-4mpg. Seems to be getting closer now.

OP
OP
caryw5150

caryw5150

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
If you aren’t- and I’m sure some will argue this… I run a diesel additive

Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment 16 Ounce Squeeze Bottle (HSSEDT16ZS) https://a.co/d/0Y1R550

I run 1-2oz of this when I’m at the pump for a fill up.
Helps put a lubrication property back in the fuel for the fuel pump. I usually note a 1-1.5mpg increase on highway tanks.
🤷🏽‍♂️ Nothing else cheap insurance for the fuel pump

Your fuel economy is insanely low…. 18 mpg if flogging would be ok… anything lower and something is off.

Change your fuel fill up location.
Use gas buddy and see what diesel station seems to be used the most.
you do this EVERY fill up?

OP
OP
caryw5150

caryw5150

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
When you say x average during city driving, are you driving primarily in a city? With 37s and a heavy wheel, I could easily imagine low teens if your truck primarily saw city miles.

Editing, just noticed your avatar. Yeah, massive MPG hit on that setup assuming that is your truck. Not only due to the poke drag and weight, but also the aggressive offset forcing your tires to fight themselves to track straight given our limited adjustability.
is there anything to be done to help mitigate this then. i'm new to the jeep way..... i'm digging it however yeah wanting to absorb as much info as i can.

OP
OP
caryw5150

caryw5150

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
is there anything to be done to help mitigate this then. i'm new to the jeep way..... i'm digging it however yeah wanting to absorb as much info as i can.
and yes this is my current jeep. i got it new-ish... and took 4 months to uncover a painted over ground wire that was wreaking havoc with my electric and shorting everything out. something so simple and took ages to find and correct.

Sponsored

OP
OP
caryw5150

caryw5150

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales

yeah thats my truck and yeah mostly city.... however 13mpg seems ridiculous. i'm waiting on the ECRI to try to calibrate the speedo.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
yeah thats my truck and yeah mostly city.... however 13mpg seems ridiculous. i'm waiting on the ECRI to try to calibrate the speedo.
Can you post details on the wheels & tires? If you're at 150lbs+ per corner in the city, it takes quite a bit of energy to get them rolling after each stop. Do you happen to have the last alignment result print-out?

On-road dynamics, general capability, fuel mileage, maintenance and more would be improved significantly if you were to pivot to a light 35" setup with more offset.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
you do this EVERY fill up?
I do. We only have diesel vehicles, so I suppose it’s an easier habit for me.

But we add a fuel additive to every tank, log the quantity of gallons, fuel station, odometer and trip, price per gallon etc.

New diesels use high pressure fuel pumps- this, in conjunction with the new? 2005??ish fuel change to ultra low sulfur diesel (removed a lot of lubricating properties). In my opinion- a fuel additive should be added to each tank.

“If” a fuel pump fails, it sends small metal particles through the system. When this failure happens, the entire fuel system needs to be replaced. This literally costs around $6k.

I figure the added cost of $100 or so a year for a fuel additive isn’t too much for some added protection.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
So, you really aren’t getting 13mpg….
Your computer system is displaying 13 because the rotations per mile are off. The transmission also isn’t shifting at the correct points either which is making matters worse.

Speculation- but you are probably around 16-18mpg.

Just think how bad your fuel economy would be if you opted to buy a gas jeep….. 🤣😂🍺 the added cost of fuel and initial expense up front will still intersect/break even between 20-30k miles 🍺 making your return on investment worth it.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
So, you really aren’t getting 13mpg….
Your computer system is displaying 13 because the rotations per mile are off. The transmission also isn’t shifting at the correct points either which is making matters worse.

Speculation- but you are probably around 16-18mpg.

Just think how bad your fuel economy would be if you opted to buy a gas jeep….. 🤣😂🍺 the added cost of fuel and initial expense up front will still intersect/break even between 20-30k miles 🍺 making your return on investment worth it.
This is correct. My speedo is exact dead on. I drove checked with gps and adjusted till it was correct dead nuts on. I hand calculate my fuel used per miles and its within .5mpg of the computer.

Im getting 20-22mpg Mixed mostly highway driving in the mountains with 38" patagonia's and icon beadlock wheels!

If I lived in florida where its flat and people drive 60mph I would easily get 24-25MPG.

These engines are amazing.

maddocmuc

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Physician
Vehicle Showcase
That mileage is horrible. I am at 26 mpg with the diesel. It must either be this recall diesel filter thingy or you run over a tacoma and are dragging the wreck under your car around wirh you. Dare a look beneath….

Thomaas

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 Willys truck, 1952 Willys Wagon, 2021 Gladiat
Occupation
Retired mechanic
I have a 2021 Dieseland my around town mileage is 22 mpg and my hwy is 25-30 mpg
Same here...got 34+ on the way back from Sonoma County to San Diego County.

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
2021 Jeep Gladiator diesel on 37's getting 13-14mpg in city driving. wondering if there are issues anyone knows could be causing. drives fine. no issues as i know it, aside from tiny gas tank, reported fuel mpg is horrible.
That's horrible i get 23 24 on the highway and have the same setup on my Rubicon 37's my Sport s gets 26 27 on 35's my wife get 30 on her 21 Rubi Jl but she drive like a little old lady lol

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Stock axles / Evo Enforcer Overland w/ King 2.5's. I daily drive it with beach cruisin' being my primary offroad activity. I do have a trip planned to the Hot Springs off road park next month.

20220316_183424.jpg

20220429_042705.jpg

20220629_190110.jpg

20220630_110616.jpg
Sweet Gladiator!!!

1658181709814250234128273470139.jpg

20210808_114658.jpg
Sponsored