First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Retired
My JTRD 30k+ high 19 to 20. Mixed open road and traffic. I love the torque and put it to the wheels every chance I get. Why leave it under the hood it makes me smile. No problems so far jus DRIVE IT!!
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator diesel real life MPG IMG_0007

Here’s a screen grab of what to expect on stock gears, 37’s and a 2 inch lift along with a stubby bumper. I drive 80% city I’d say.
I don't know anyone who has a JT on 37s with stock gears that gets any better than about 12mpg.
Just don't see those numbers at all credible considering you lose 7th and probably 8th gear with that set up so those big MPG numbers just don't add up.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
So I now have 60k miles on my JTRD. When stock i got 26+ MPG. With current set up, 35" tires, camper, etc, I'm lucky to exceed 21 mpg highway at 65mph. 75mph is more like 14-15 mpg.

I think these numbers are pretty much average in talking to other diesel owners.

sidmanth

First Name
sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes Benz C-class
Occupation
lawyer
i use to have low mpgs with all terrain tire but after switching to all season low rolling resistance tires, it increases by 3-4 mpgs, which was great.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I don't know anyone who has a JT on 37s with stock gears that gets any better than about 12mpg.
Just don't see those numbers at all credible considering you lose 7th and probably 8th gear with that set up so those big MPG numbers just don't add up.
Do you know anyone with an ecodiesel with 37’s on stock gears? 😂

I wish I knew what to tell you, but these are hand calculations on a truck with reconfigured speedometer that has been tracked for over 20,000 miles and 98 fill ups.

I also do the exact opposite of what most people agree should be done for peak diese efficiency: tons of idling, 2 mile daily commutes, basically 0 highway.

Last edited:

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
✋🏼, and with a camper in the bed at that.
No issues wheeling on highway whatsoever beside a derating once that is shared with others with lesser big tires in similar mountain passes or weather conditions. Do I want to change? Yeah eventually, the fully loaded camper is a bit heavy and I’d like to see my 8 more often. Is it necessary? Depend on the configuration, but 37s aren’t the main culprit or reason to change with the EcoD in my opinion. Ran the configuration with the tires but not the camper for 2 months and it was smooth sailing.

🍻

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
✋🏼, and with a camper in the bed at that.
No issues wheeling on highway whatsoever beside a derating once that is shared with others with lesser big tires in similar mountain passes or weather conditions. Do I want to change? Yeah eventually, the fully loaded camper is a bit heavy and I’d like to see my 8 more often. Is it necessary? Depend on the configuration, but 37s aren’t the main culprit or reason to change with the EcoD in my opinion. Ran the configuration with the tires but not the camper for 2 months and it was smooth sailing.

🍻
What mpgs are your seeing though?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Before the 4" lift and 37" tires. I got 22 mpg around town and 29 mpg on trips. Now I get 18 mpg around town and 24 mpg on trips.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer

I wish I knew what to tell you, but these are hand calculations on a truck with reconfigured speedometer that has been tracked for over 20,000 miles and 98 fill ups.

I also do the exact opposite of what most people agree should be done for peak diese efficiency: tons of idling, 2 mile daily commutes, basically 0 highway.
I know 4 others who have Jeep eco diesels, two with 37s and two with 35's like m and one who has a Ram1500 eco diesel running 37s The Ram outperforms all of us on MPG, no issues with de rating when towing and such. Can only talk about what I've experienced and what others I know have told me.

If they come out with a 4Xe in 2024, I'm going to sell the diesel, already have people who want to buy. I guess the big challenge now is price. I've paid as much as $5.06 two weeks ago per gallon and at home it is $4.49 and up because the government requires my county in AZ to sell CA gas which is way more expensive. If Biden and the Dems take the next election and they continue the assault on gas and diesel vehicles, prices will continue to rise and values will go down.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I know 4 others who have Jeep eco diesels, two with 37s and two with 35's like m and one who has a Ram1500 eco diesel running 37s The Ram outperforms all of us on MPG, no issues with de rating when towing and such. Can only talk about what I've experienced and what others I know have told me.

If they come out with a 4Xe in 2024, I'm going to sell the diesel, already have people who want to buy. I guess the big challenge now is price. I've paid as much as $5.06 two weeks ago per gallon and at home it is $4.49 and up because the government requires my county in AZ to sell CA gas which is way more expensive. If Biden and the Dems take the next election and they continue the assault on gas and diesel vehicles, prices will continue to rise and values will go down.
Judging from your profile picture, that box on the shoe box shaped truck probably won’t help, plus it’s heavy. I’m pretty much unloaded, it’s a DD for me.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Topped it off today 12 gallons. No additives recently. Running 40 inch patagonias on factory gears with roughly 3 to 400 lb in the bed all week mostly City driving, got 19.3 on the computer, and what do you know it 19.3 hand calculated.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Topped it off today 12 gallons. No additives recently. Running 40 inch patagonias on factory gears with roughly 3 to 400 lb in the bed all week mostly City driving, got 19.3 on the computer, and what do you know it 19.3 hand calculated.
How are the stock gears for driving vs 37s? IIRC you came from 37’s. I’m looking for 39’s my next go around.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
How are the stock gears for driving vs 37s? IIRC you came from 37’s. I’m looking for 39’s my next go around.
I've got a buddy who just went from 37-in ko2s to 39-in ko2s with 4.56 gears which I thought was way too much for the 37s. I need to take it for a spin to see how it handles the 39s.

I drove a Mojave the other day with 40s and factory 410s and was surprised that it was not a complete lug.

I think factory gears are just fine for 37s. I wouldn't go any higher than 4/10 for sure.

It seems to me there's a lot of wasted torque for guys that over gear, especially because this motor does not like to rev up. I just came off a stretch of interstate highway where I was averaging a little more than 20 doing 70 at 1600 RPMs in 8th gear.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I've got a buddy who just went from 37-in ko2s to 39-in ko2s with 4.56 gears which I thought was way too much for the 37s. I need to take it for a spin to see how it handles the 39s.

I drove a Mojave the other day with 40s and factory 410s and was surprised that it was not a complete lug.

I think factory gears are just fine for 37s. I wouldn't go any higher than 4/10 for sure.

It seems to me there's a lot of wasted torque for guys that over gear, especially because this motor does not like to rev up. I just came off a stretch of interstate highway where I was averaging a little more than 20 doing 70 at 1600 RPMs in 8th gear.
Lack of torque has never been an issue for me.
Sponsored