Sponsored

2” Iron rock spacer lift/partial rubi takeoff swap, affect on towing capacity?

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
My current set up is a max tow, takeoff 19 rubi rims, 285/75r17s wildpeaks (close to 34s), Fox steering stabilizer, iron rock 2” spacer lift, also put on JT rubi shocks and front springs.

Any ideas on the affect on towing capabilities besides weight of things added (maybe 70 lbs)?

honestly it drives better and more stable than stock form. First picture is beside a stock JT rubicon.

thanks!

Jeep Gladiator 2” Iron rock spacer lift/partial rubi takeoff swap, affect on towing capacity? 31741087-54D9-4D07-94BC-F0954DC96AF6

Jeep Gladiator 2” Iron rock spacer lift/partial rubi takeoff swap, affect on towing capacity? FCD2CBA7-1140-43FC-B844-DFA042AB25B8

Jeep Gladiator 2” Iron rock spacer lift/partial rubi takeoff swap, affect on towing capacity? 8964B378-06D6-4202-8114-2CD3378E621A
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My Swag would be probably down to Rubicon with HD tow package or slightly less than that, maybe 5-10% reduction of towing capacity. I got a Max-Tow not to try and tow it's maximum every time I tow. But to be able to easily tow 1/2 to 3/4 max safely under any conditions. Something to use as a comparison: a winch bottom wrap max pull, with a reduced amount of 10-20% per wrap over that. You have increased tire size by what % so you can reduce the towing capacity by that amount plus a little more. Rolling and wind resistance, braking reduction bigger tires =bigger lever. More engine and transmission load. But your terrain, weather, road conditions and what you are towing boat or V-nose vs flat nose trailer come in to play too. The big part of why I bought a 16ft Scamp T.T. was that it was well with in towing capacity of my LJ it was rated for 5k the Scamp is around 3000/3500 lbs. Dry wgt.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a max tow with iron rock lift, just not the rubi tires. I put a deposit on a 3,900lbs dry weight travel trailer two days ago and it should be in within the next couple weeks. Ill let you know how it goes. I don’t think the changes will make a notable difference in tow capacity. You may run into a scenario where your nose high since the addition of the rubi front springs looks like it makes it level. I have a rake with just the spacers(plus a small additional one up front) where the rear is 1 1/8in higher that the front.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have a max tow with iron rock lift, just not the rubi tires. I put a deposit on a 3,900lbs dry weight travel trailer two days ago and it should be in within the next couple weeks. Ill let you know how it goes. I don’t think the changes will make a notable difference in tow capacity. You may run into a scenario where your nose high since the addition of the rubi front springs looks like it makes it level. I have a rake with just the spacers(plus a small additional one up front) where the rear is 1 1/8in higher that the front.
sounds like we have a similar set up! I went with a forest River that’s heavier than yours. I ended up going with it because the model was just where we wanted to be. Also decided on going bigger because a guy was in there that pulled the same model with his Tacoma said he’s been pulling his all over the year with his arc controller and decent WDH w sway control.

I won’t be going for longer than 2.5 hours, and am going to take it nice and easy. I’m going to avoid highways as much as a can. Tires are only rated to 65, so I’ll probably keep it at 55 mph.

I also when with the arc and this WDH:

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Reese/RP66559.html

it made the most sense with the sway control bar /non chain set up and drop hitch to make things level.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like we have a similar set up! I went with a forest River that’s heavier than yours. I ended up going with it because the model was just where we wanted to be. Also decided on going bigger because a guy was in there that pulled the same model with his Tacoma said he’s been pulling his all over the year with his arc controller and decent WDH w sway control.

I won’t be going for longer than 2.5 hours, and am going to take it nice and easy. I’m going to avoid highways as much as a can. Tires are only rated to 65, so I’ll probably keep it at 55 mph.

I also when with the arc and this WDH:

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Reese/RP66559.html

it made the most sense with the sway control bar /non chain set up and drop hitch to make things level.
Nice! Im saving that link incase the wdh i have just isn’t cutting it

Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Im saving that link incase the wdh i have just isn’t cutting it
Do you know what the “frontal area” of your trailer is? I talked to people at the dealer and they said it really only applies to trailers that have a 90 degree flat front. Mine has a pretty strong taper back.. at least a third of the front is less than 45 degrees... and I can’t find anything to calculate frontal area of a Travel trailer that is curved...

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know what the “frontal area” of your trailer is? I talked to people at the dealer and they said it really only applies to trailers that have a 90 degree flat front. Mine has a pretty strong taper back.. at least a third of the front is less than 45 degrees... and I can’t find anything to calculate frontal area of a Travel trailer that is curved...

also I am may be pushing it but I should be close to 6600 loaded , 700 tongue weight and payload with about 400 to spair. Will give report after a few trips

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
also I am may be pushing it but I should be close to 6600 loaded , 700 tongue weight and payload with about 400 to spair. Will give report after a few trips
i actually didn’t check the angle of the front of the trailer...really just assumed it was level. I ordered a wolf pup black label so I’ll be around 3,800 dry and 5,000 loaded with a tongue weight of 450. I wanted to stay a little more conservative overall. Im just obsessed with not having a nose high ride with the trailer. I added another little bit to the front of the jt today so now I’m 2.5In front and 2In rear with 1in of rake. I’m thinking I may have to pull 1/4 or all 1/2 off the front after the trailer but hopefully not.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i actually didn’t check the angle of the front of the trailer...really just assumed it was level. I ordered a wolf pup black label so I’ll be around 3,800 dry and 5,000 loaded with a tongue weight of 450. I wanted to stay a little more conservative overall. Im just obsessed with not having a nose high ride with the trailer. I added another little bit to the front of the jt today so now I’m 2.5In front and 2In rear with 1in of rake. I’m thinking I may have to pull 1/4 or all 1/2 off the front after the trailer but hopefully not.
right now I have 9” all around.. tire to fender... my goal is to have the same 1:1 ratio with the WDH set up.. even squat all around.

Which WDH do you have currently? Does it have sway control ?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
right now I have 9” all around.. tire to fender... my goal is to have the same 1:1 ratio with the WDH set up.. even squat all around.

Which WDH do you have currently? Does it have sway control ?
I got it off a buddy who used it for a season on his 9,500lbs camper. He upgraded to a much larger one and needed a new wdh. Soooo not really sure on the brand. It does have the sway control though, which after research I was happy about

Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got it off a buddy who used it for a season on his 9,500lbs camper. He upgraded to a much larger one and needed a new wdh. Soooo not really sure on the brand. It does have the sway control though, which after research I was happy about
I went with a 10k WDH, I read in couple places you don’t want to go too much bigger because the sway bars needed to match the load. If you go to big, it would be too rigid...?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a 10k WDH, I read in couple places you don’t want to go too much bigger because the sway bars needed to match the load. If you go to big, it would be too rigid...?
that’s what I’ve read as well. I guess time will tell!
Sponsored