Sponsored

3-piece Rubicon Steel Bumper - Discontinued???

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
For the price there’s way better options is all.

Especially considering the front is plastic.
Yeah, this little part is plastic. It is probably to comply with some federal law for 5mph/2.5mph crashes.

The rest is all steel.

aftermarket bumpers likely get away with not having something like this as they might be for “off-road use only”

Jeep Gladiator 3-piece Rubicon Steel Bumper - Discontinued??? 3649E69A-F17A-45F0-A891-EBA5D4AD91F6
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this little part is plastic. It is probably to comply with some federal law for 5mph/2.5mph crashes.

The rest is all steel.

aftermarket bumpers likely get away with not having something like this as they might be for “off-road use only”

Jeep Gladiator 3-piece Rubicon Steel Bumper - Discontinued??? 3649E69A-F17A-45F0-A891-EBA5D4AD91F6
Hope that red marker you used to circle that will wash off your bumper.....

That part is also cheap - bust it or scrape it up, pop it out, put in a new one (well, there's "crush cans" behind the proper factory installed version)

Reactions: mog

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hope that red marker you used to circle that will wash off your bumper.....

That part is also cheap - bust it or scrape it up, pop it out, put in a new one (well, there's "crush cans" behind the proper factory installed version)

That was my original point tho. Its a 900 upgrade from Jeep and you still need a 200 dollar winch plate. 1100 bucks buys a pretty bad ass aftermarket bumper and you'll have money left over to start on the winch buy without any plastic on it. And the steel isn't all that thick, albeit it is quite serviceable.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
The install is crazy easy. No brainer even with no instructions. Take off original, bolt on new.
I couldn't believe the number of posts out in the Jeep world people having trouble figuring out the front bumper swap. When I was done I asked myself - what's the big deal? Yeah, an air ratchet speeds things up, and a couple of extensions and a flex help a lot, but other than some tools making it easier or faster, it honestly was simple as heck. Even adding the skid plate was no trouble. I did it myself, no helper to hold things.

The only part I don't like so much is the mud, salt, sand and dirt that gets tossed through the middle of the "wings"...........

You're back! Saw a thread that you had disappeared for awhile.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That was my original point tho. Its a 900 upgrade from Jeep and you still need a 200 dollar winch plate. 1100 bucks buys a pretty bad ass aftermarket bumper and you'll have money left over to start on the winch buy without any plastic on it. And the steel isn't all that thick, albeit it is quite serviceable.
It's light weight. That's the main reason I'd go for it. Some people also like the OEM look. The only comparable bumpers are the Rugged Ridge Arcus which is foreign made and the AEV bumper that costs $2k. Better is all about your goals. Mine is to not add 200lbs of steel on the front. Unless it's a trail only vehicle, 90% of people don't need a bumper made from 1/4" plate.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Tr
It's light weight.
Truth be told, the factory steel bumper is more of a hubcap vs. being a real bumper. The winch plate bolts between the two frame rails where sturdiness is needed when using the winch. The steel bumper only provides a slit in the bumper to mount a fair lead. Not that that is a bad thing. Keeping weight off the front of the rig is more important than adding a few hundo pounds for cosmetics.

jcrogers87

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Do these come with hardware?

How about fitment with the skid plate? Lots of confusing information out there. Looks like you need a "mopar" steel skid plate and not the one that comes from a rubicon?
What hardware do you refer to? The hardware that holds the bumper together?
As far as what holds the bumper on, They use the same nuts to hold them on that the other bumper used.
If you mean the hardware that attaches the skid plate, no.

Skid plates:
Jeep IS MOPAR. It has been since Lee Iacocca raped and pillaged AMC in 87/88 to get the Grand Cherokee and Jeep. Jeep became MOPAR as the last 1988 model year AMC/Eagle and AMC/Jeeps rolled off the line so I'm not sure where you are seeing a distinction.

There are TWO different Rubicon skid plates. One for the "plastic" bumper and the other for the steel bumper. The standard basic Rubicon skid plate uses rear brackets and front brackets. IT does not attach to the bumper. You see a lot of those around because when people put the steel bumper on they take those off and put on the other style ->
The other style is the one that comes with Rubicon that has the steel bumper. It does attach to the bottom edge of the bumper. You only see those for sale if someone takes off the Rubicon steel bumper and puts on an after-market front bumper, like some of the short or mid-length bumpers, those with swept up ends and so on.

When you install a steel bumper on the front you need the Rubicon skid plate for the steel bumper, not the one that comes with the basic Rubicon that has the plastic bumper.

You will need the skid plate and the bottom/rear skid plate brackets and attaching hardware.
You can buy the brackets and bolts and such for the skid plate from any MOPAR/JEEP parts vendor, including those who are forum sponsors here.

This is the Rubicon skid plate that attaches to the steel bumper at the front of the skid plate.
It does not use front brackets since it attaches here.
The OTHER Rubicon skid plate doesn't attach because it's used with the plastic front bumper.
(but both are MOPAR because they are Jeep parts. Hope that helps explain)

Jeep Gladiator 3-piece Rubicon Steel Bumper - Discontinued??? 20201016_115731_HDR
Sponsored