First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
^^ Agreed ^^ Don't get me wrong I love spending money on Jeep parts but saving dollars just makes cents
As darkhorse13 said, I’m all for spending money on my Jeep’s; I have at least $20K into my build. I certainly didn’t want to come off harsh, so my apologies if it seemed that way. It’s just that I have been off-roading since I bought my first Jeep in 1981 (a CJ7) and have had many over the years and I have never had significant damage in that area…ever. The reality is that most damage is going to happen in the front half of the undercarriage and along the frame rails. I’d spend that $3K on skid plates and such.

Now if you were to say that you want to relocate the spare because having to fish it out from underneath to replace a flat on the trail is worth the price, then I can relate to that. I bent an inside lip on a rim on the Tabeguache Trail outside Grand Junction last year and it was certainly more of a PITA to get the spare out than it would have been off of the tailgate. It was hot dusty and in that moment I might have said it was worth the extra $2200!!

All that said, the Wilco looks pretty tasty.
Sponsored

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
This is exactly what has me looking at spare tire carriers. I had a flat on an easy forest road trail- crawling under a muddy truck to get the spare out was not my idea of a good time. Plus, it got me thinking about having to do it on a more difficult section. I watch FB marketplace and the hitch carriers come up pretty regularly. Saw a Wilco Offset last week for $450.

JEEPNUTZ

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 3500
Let me say thank you before I start, It will be a long one. I am looking for a Tire carrier for my Gladiator. My 37" tire actually does fit under the truck but I don't want to take a chance of damaging the tire while off road. I see a lot to hitch Tire Carriers but I would actually like to remove my hitch to increase rear approach clearance. Most of the bumper Tire Carriers say they are only good for 35". I have found a few carriers that I like. JCR Off Road Bumper, Expedition One, and my favorite is the Wilco Vertical TailGate. I know I am not the only one who is looking at these. I am looking for others and maybe some that are less than $3k. I thought maybe someone can recommend a custom setup.
Recent.jpeg
Did you find a carrier?

Fawkes

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Building engineer
For me its not departure angle or damage to the tire. Im pretty sure getting the tire out from under the truck in the mud would suck. Plus the look of the spare on display seems cool. I am looking for one as well. The Rough Country seems like it would do the job

Sponsored

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Let me say thank you before I start, It will be a long one. I am looking for a Tire carrier for my Gladiator. My 37" tire actually does fit under the truck but I don't want to take a chance of damaging the tire while off road. I see a lot to hitch Tire Carriers but I would actually like to remove my hitch to increase rear approach clearance. Most of the bumper Tire Carriers say they are only good for 35". I have found a few carriers that I like. JCR Off Road Bumper, Expedition One, and my favorite is the Wilco Vertical TailGate. I know I am not the only one who is looking at these. I am looking for others and maybe some that are less than $3k. I thought maybe someone can recommend a custom setup.
Recent.jpeg
Looks awesome!! What bumper is that?

Deleted member 28696

I was looking at a few but I ordered a Warrior 839 for my RSI Platform roof rack that sits on the Smart Cap EVO A. It's designed to fit Safari roof racks but they have the same 8" on center so I hope it works. I'm not sure if this would be an option for a serious rock crawler since it will change the center of gravity and make it more top heavy. This is my daily driver so I'm more on road and local travel, maybe some mountain driving but no serious trails or rocks. I'm probably going to remove the 33" spare that's still underneath. I have 37x20's I'm not sure I can lift it up there but I will give it a heave ho and try.

https://warriorproducts.com/tire-mount-for-warrior-safari-series-roof-racks-839.html

My second choice and probably a better one was the AEV Vertical tire rack where the tire sits upright at the back of the bed so it doesn't take up a whole lot of room. I didn't go this route since I want to purchase a decked drawer system and I want to keep the top of it clear to haul things. This does look like an awesome solution. It would be easier to mount it and roll out if you ever need it.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/vertical-tire-mount/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Appalachia

Appalachia

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technician
I was looking at a few but I ordered a Warrior 839 for my RSI Platform roof rack that sits on the Smart Cap EVO A. It's designed to fit Safari roof racks but they have the same 8" on center so I hope it works. I'm not sure if this would be an option for a serious rock crawler since it will change the center of gravity and make it more top heavy. This is my daily driver so I'm more on road and local travel, maybe some mountain driving but no serious trails or rocks. I'm probably going to remove the 33" spare that's still underneath. I have 37x20's I'm not sure I can lift it up there but I will give it a heave ho and try.

https://warriorproducts.com/tire-mount-for-warrior-safari-series-roof-racks-839.html

My second choice and probably a better one was the AEV Vertical tire rack where the tire sits upright at the back of the bed so it doesn't take up a whole lot of room. I didn't go this route since I want to purchase a decked drawer system and I want to keep the top of it clear to haul things. This does look like an awesome solution. It would be easier to mount it and roll out if you ever need it.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/vertical-tire-mount/
I couldn't do that....I need a place to put my Roof Top Tent

Deleted member 28696

I couldn't do that....I need a place to put my Roof Top Tent
I agree if your looking to mount a tent on the platform rack then mounting your tire there is not an option. That's why I placed the link to the AEV vertical tire mount would be the better option which mounts up to a 42" tire vertical in the bed which allows room to haul stuff.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
I have 37x12.5 in the rear and it’s been fine on 9 rated tails. the bumper and hitch get hung up more then the tire does. I’m sure the extra inch on the 13.5s don’t help.
Where do you carry your spare tire? TY in advance.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
I chose to move to bed .I just cant see crawling underneath truck with 70- 80 mph traffic going by .Let alone changing a tire in mud on a trail.

KIMG01491.jpg
Sponsored