Sponsored

3M Digi Dash Wrap

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I like it!
How hard was it to take apart the dash? Are there screws or just push clips? Where did you start pulling prying to take it off?
Sponsored

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
Thnks all for the replies, i made scores in the gray portions of the film so it would not be noticed. Got to think the power of the air bag would tear that film very easily now that its weakend.

These people... that airbag will blow through the vinyl like its not even there. Apparently they dont understand how powerul that bag is. even duct tape will blow apart if it was used.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
These people... that airbag will blow through the vinyl like its not even there. Apparently they dont understand how powerul that bag is. even duct tape will blow apart if it was used.
I don't think anyone is doubting how powerful an airbag is, I'm sure most of us have seen the YouTube videos showing rednecks use them to launch objects (and their friends) into the air. The fact is that by putting something over those airbag cover flaps, you are adding unaccounted for resistance to the system, which has not been tested. If others are comfortable with that risk for themselves (and more importantly their friends/family sitting next to them), that's their call. I 100% know that if you reached out to any engineer at Jeep they would advise against it.

I will say that I have a design engineering background, and design structures that the public is near, so it's my job and in my nature to mitigate risk, so that's where my thoughts stem from.

Last edited:

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, CRX Del Sol Sir, AP1 S2000
@Nick1941 any tips on the driver side? I wrapped mine a while ago, but always ends up with wrinkles. And some air bubbles are forming where I heated and stretched
You can use an edge sealer (wrap specific glue) to prevent the wrap from crawling back. Bubbles shouldn't form on their own. You're probably just noticing them now, maybe made worse by the wrap retreating. You can use a pin needle and poke a small hole, heat and apply pressure to let the air out.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Edge-Seal...ocphy=9007754&hvtargid=pla-568826370147&psc=1

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, CRX Del Sol Sir, AP1 S2000
I don't think anyone is doubting how powerful an airbag is, I'm sure most of us have seen the YouTube videos showing rednecks use them to launch objects (and their friends) into the air. The fact is that by putting something over those airbag cover flaps, you are adding unaccounted for resistance to the system, which has not been tested. If others are comfortable with that risk for themselves (and more importantly their friends/family sitting next to them), that's their call. I 100% know that if you reached out to any engineer at Jeep they would advise against it.

I will say that I have a design engineering background, and design structures that the public is near, so it's my job and in my nature to mitigate risk, so that's where my thoughts stem from.
To expand on this a touch more. It's not about the airbag being unable to tear through the wrap. Instead it is about reinforcing the intended deployment zone, possibly resulting in a new deployment zone (shattering the dash, redirecting the airbag, pushing the dash out, etc). Yes airbags present more force than a big sticker can resist: however, that is not the claim being made here. @Backwoodsraider

Sponsored

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
And to think when I was a kid I rode around in cars that didn’t have airbags, or any safety restraint systems. Seatbelts were lap belts and not required. Man.....THAT was scary! Lol.

OP
OP
Nick1941

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
@Nick1941 any tips on the driver side? I wrapped mine a while ago, but always ends up with wrinkles. And some air bubbles are forming where I heated and stretched
3m sells an adhesive primer. Mine hasn't popped but i have used it before.

OP
OP
Nick1941

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
I like it!
How hard was it to take apart the dash? Are there screws or just push clips? Where did you start pulling prying to take it off?
Its not too bad, videos on youtube help. Screws and clips

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
To expand on this a touch more. It's not about the airbag being unable to tear through the wrap. Instead it is about reinforcing the intended deployment zone, possibly resulting in a new deployment zone (shattering the dash, redirecting the airbag, pushing the dash out, etc). Yes airbags present more force than a big sticker can resist: however, that is not the claim being made here. @Backwoodsraider
I have to agree and I wouldn't place something as strong as a 3M overlay over the designated airbag launch opening.
I grabbed a clip from the NHTSA showing the moment when the passenger airbag deploys.
Personally I wouldn't want my family or friends being the crash test dummy for my own personal, untested, dashboard modification.

Jeep Gladiator 3M Digi Dash Wrap 1611680704520

Sponsored