Sponsored

8 speed transmission law suit............

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I work for a single product line dealership, a Lexus dealership.

We have replaced 5-6 GM transmissions in the last six months. NO BS. IDK if it was this specific model, but man its too many for Lexus dealer.

Lowest mileage was 40kish miles.

If you're asking 'why would a Lexus dealer do that work?' Some of it is guests purchase here and want work done here (most own Lexus vehicles too) and our local GM store is backed up 3 weeks (supposedly)

I know we own Jeeps and they have their issues, but these GM trans are garbage.
Wow. Pardon my language, but that’s fucking ridiculous for so many reasons. 40k miles is under powertrain warranty and how would a Lexus dealer know how to fix it? It could have been something as simple as replacing the aforementioned hygroscopic fluid or programming.

There’s got to be more to that story because it doesn’t even make sense. I’m not even a GM fan boi.
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That sucks for those Chevy folks - I took a glance at the Colorado before I went with what I really wanted in a JT. Dodged a bullet and didn’t realize it, but we’ll see how this Italian diesel fares out.
You didn’t. Issues were only with the 2017-2018.5 model years.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I don't really trust GM non-truck automatics. My wife really, really, really liked the GMC Terrain all black with the elevation package and black badges. I asked her if she liked the murdered out look, so she started calling it her "murder car". There was like 7k in rebates on the thing at the time, and it was already about 2k cheaper than the Rav4 XSE before rebates. I would have loved to have saved 9k plus taxes, but I just didn't trust that overstressed little 4 banger hooked up to a brand new 9 speed GM transmission. Talked her into a white XSE rav4 hybrid instead. I know CVTs have their issues, but toyota seems to know how to build a hybrid. It's not like i was buying a nissan or ford CVT.
Nissan, JATCO, CVTs actually are pretty solid. The problem was poor engineering, they weren’t fitted with proper cooling systems and they overheated. CVTs produce a ton of heat and if you didn’t add an auxiliary cooler or replace the transmission fluid every 40-50k miles they didn’t make it much past 60k miles.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You didn’t. Issues were only with the 2017-2018.5 model years.
I've read on and they claim it's 2019 and later.

2019-2022 Chevrolet Camaro
2019-2022 Chevrolet Colorado
2019-2022 Chevrolet Silverado
2019 Chevrolet Corvette
2019 Cadillac ATS
2019 Cadillac ATS-V
2019 Cadillac CTS
2019 Cadillac CT6
2019 Cadillac CTS-V
2019-2022 GMC Canyon
2019-2022 GMC Sierra

"" GM Authority has covered these reported issues with the GM eight-speed transmission extensively ""

""GM allegedly knows anything dealers do won't help the transmissions, and at one point GM allegedly "considered a service proposal for Class Vehicles to include valve body replacements on the 8L transmissions at $1,250."

The GM transmission lawsuit also alleges a technical service bulletin (TSB) from August 2020 related to harsh first shifts told dealer technicians, “[r]eplacing transmission components or complete assemblies will not improve the condition.”""

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I've read on and they claim it's 2019 and later.

2019-2022 Chevrolet Camaro
2019-2022 Chevrolet Colorado
2019-2022 Chevrolet Silverado
2019 Chevrolet Corvette
2019 Cadillac ATS
2019 Cadillac ATS-V
2019 Cadillac CTS
2019 Cadillac CT6
2019 Cadillac CTS-V
2019-2022 GMC Canyon
2019-2022 GMC Sierra

"" GM Authority has covered these reported issues with the GM eight-speed transmission extensively ""

""GM allegedly knows anything dealers do won't help the transmissions, and at one point GM allegedly "considered a service proposal for Class Vehicles to include valve body replacements on the 8L transmissions at $1,250."

The GM transmission lawsuit also alleges a technical service bulletin (TSB) from August 2020 related to harsh first shifts told dealer technicians, “[r]eplacing transmission components or complete assemblies will not improve the condition.”""
I know, I read that too. That’s why the lawsuit is ridiculous. At least on the trucks. I’m not sure about the cars. I feel like every model
with the same transmission got lumped into it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The issues were fixed from the factory 2018.5+ and the previous year models are all being fixed by GM or already have been.
This is later model years............. 2019 and later.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know, I read that too. That’s why the lawsuit is ridiculous.
Why? if the issues are with 2019-2022, it's a problem with those, according to the 4 filing the suit.
You were talking about prior years.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Why? if the issues are with 2019-2022, it's a problem with those, according to the 4 filing the suit.
You were talking about prior years.
Because, it’s actually a solid transmission. GM got screwed because of an outsourced transmission fluid. They figured out the issue and fixed it. There has been litigation on the previous model years already. Almost all 8,9 and ten speed transmissions exhibit the occasional weird shift or clunk. A big law firm chasing money took every model past ‘18 that currently still has that transmission and is chasing money. If I was a betting man, I’d lay it all down on that.

Once again, not a GM fan boi, but I’m pretty familiar with that transmission. It’s a decent unit. The new ten speed has its weird clunks and shifts too btw. It’s also pretty stout, but it takes some getting used to. I was driving a mustang gt with that transmission the other day. I hated the way it shifted, but it was a short drive and I would need to play with the driving modes more and also probably just get used to it.

Long story short, sometimes manufacturers get screwed with outsourced items. Toyota builds a fine car, but they got screwed on their frames built by Dana. Those are just two examples, but it’s way too common and I’m sure the accountants cost cutting probably attributes to it.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The Corvettes with the 8-speed were very problematic. GM kept changing the fluid telling customers (my friends) it would stop the shudder. I told my friends GM was just trying to get them past warranty. I believe the issue was solved by torque converter replacement.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The Corvettes with the 8-speed were very problematic. GM kept changing the fluid telling customers (my friends) it would stop the shudder. I told my friends GM was just trying to get them past warranty. I believe the issue was solved by torque converter replacement.
No. It was because no one realized the fluid was hygroscopic. I had mine flushed unnecessarily twice, but the shudder came back after 4-5 months. Go figure, once the moisture content got high enough, it acted up again. I got something in the mail about a warranty extension, but I forgot the details because I sold it. Not because of the transmission…

Although, I did initially use that as an excuse to my fiancée to trade it in because I really wanted a gladiator. She was in love with my old truck, but forgot about it quickly the first time she drove it with the top off and the Alpine system blasting.

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Definitely true. Brothers Chevy SUV I forget wtf it’s called does exactly this…brought it in and they noted it and they changed fluids I think. Still did it and they took it back again, they claimed it was fine. Kept doing it and they took it back again and then the dealership claimed it was outside mileage so it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

I had a 2017 Camaro with this transmission and never had any issues. But I also only drove it like 15-20K miles.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Stellantis employee
GM is not in a good position anymore. The ZF 8 speed is by far the best automatic transmission. Chrysler bought a license to build it, Gm built their own by copying zf's work and getting caught violating multiple patents. (And doing a half-assed job at that).

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
I get it - the local Chevy dealership has worked on tires from our Grand Cherokees, done work on my F250 I used to have, aligned my SX4, replaced tires on and aligned my 70 Javelin.
They do decent work and want me to come back.

In your case, I would assume that becaue Lexus is the luxury brand of Toyota, they'd do top-notch work and keep things clean. I can see people taking their "other vehicles" there.
they sure dont like the $169 labor rate. :lipssealed:

but yes, i feel our shop does fantastic work. some slip through the cracks
Wow. Pardon my language, but that’s fucking ridiculous for so many reasons. 40k miles is under powertrain warranty and how would a Lexus dealer know how to fix it? It could have been something as simple as replacing the aforementioned hygroscopic fluid or programming.

There’s got to be more to that story because it doesn’t even make sense. I’m not even a GM fan boi.
most come in with jerking between 3-4 gears or making a noise. Requires replacement bc the programming didnt work. The 40k mile vehicle was a 2018 so IDK why we did it here, im not familiar with GM warranty, but it wasnt covered for whatever reason, we would have subletted out warranty work.

Just because we are a Lexus dealer, doesnt mean we dont have techs that came from GM. Some stuff we cant do bc of special tools like programming transmissions. We sublet them to a Chevy dealer next door for programming, we just do the actual install.

Im as baffled as you at the failures of those trans, just sharing my experience with them and that experience means ill never own a used one. lol

If you think the trans are bad, ask me how many cams and lifters we've put in GM vehicles..........

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
they sure dont like the $169 labor rate. :lipssealed:

but yes, i feel our shop does fantastic work. some slip through the cracks

most come in with jerking between 3-4 gears or making a noise. Requires replacement bc the programming didnt work. The 40k mile vehicle was a 2018 so IDK why we did it here, im not familiar with GM warranty, but it wasnt covered for whatever reason, we would have subletted out warranty work.

Just because we are a Lexus dealer, doesnt mean we dont have techs that came from GM. Some stuff we cant do bc of special tools like programming transmissions. We sublet them to a Chevy dealer next door for programming, we just do the actual install.

Im as baffled as you at the failures of those trans, just sharing my experience with them and that experience means ill never own a used one. lol

If you think the trans are bad, ask me how many cams and lifters we've put in GM vehicles..........
I know that as good as the LS engine are, the cylinder deactivation causes lifter issues. Apparently, a lot of issues.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Definitely true. Brothers Chevy SUV I forget wtf it’s called does exactly this…brought it in and they noted it and they changed fluids I think. Still did it and they took it back again, they claimed it was fine. Kept doing it and they took it back again and then the dealership claimed it was outside mileage so it wouldn’t be covered under warranty.
Wait what? They had the complaint documented while under warranty and they denied a warranty claim after the warranty company passed? I’d raise hell till it was covered.

it’s a shame that it took GM so long to figure out the fluid. It left a lot of people frustrated. I took mine in and they flushed it twice in vain. Before they had the right fluid, mine would screw up once the fluid moisture content got too high and start jerking and shaking in stop and go traffic. I thought about getting out and lighting it on fire in the middle of I-40 and leaving it there to burn to the ground a few times.

Glad I didn’t. Haha. It was a great truck again after the third/correct fluid.

Btw, we are lucky to have these ZF designed transmissions after they’ve been sorted. A good friend of mine is shop foreman at an Audi dealership. He told me that when they first started using them, years ago, that the ZF transmissions had the same issues and they’d get a TSB to try a new fluid, then another fluid, and then several fluids later they got it right.
Sponsored