First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘79 CJ-5, ‘79 CJ-7, ‘77 Cherokee Chief, ‘46 CJ-2A
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I bought the Tazer mainly to fix the speedometer. A previous owner had installed 35’s. When I pulled the panel I found a Powerteq module installed.

Not sure what to do. How different are they?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Riverjunkie

Riverjunkie

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Artist
It looks like I need a programmer to use the Powerteq….which I don’t have. Is that correct?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If this Is what you’re talking about it just acts as a bypass so you can make changes using a tazer, jscan app, flash Cal device, etc.

unless theres been a difference with the tazer that im not familiar with. But youll be fine.

I got one when I bought my flash Cal and have just left it in since I now use the J scan app.

Jeep Gladiator About to install a Tazer JL mini and found there is a Powerteq in there 0831C1C0-00D7-4E99-A0C8-B0DDA3EB9A2A

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Gren71 is probably dead on. It's probably just a bypass module for the Powerteq unit. The problem is, you'll most likely need the control module from the original owner to make any future changes using that module. You could see if the dealer could reach out to the original owner to see if they still have it. I always leave my original controller in the car when I trade it in for the new owner, because the controllers are usually linked to the VIN number of that specific car once you use them. You could contact Powerteq to see if you could buy a controller, but you may just be better off starting over completely with the Tazer you bought. It may not make a difference, but if the previous owner made programming changes, you might want to use your Tazer to set everything back to factory defaults before you make any changes of your own. You have no idea what the previous owner reset. Good luck.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Gren71 is probably dead on. It's probably just a bypass module for the Powerteq unit. The problem is, you'll most likely need the control module from the original owner to make any future changes using that module. You could see if the dealer could reach out to the original owner to see if they still have it. I always leave my original controller in the car when I trade it in for the new owner, because the controllers are usually linked to the VIN number of that specific car once you use them. You could contact Powerteq to see if you could buy a controller, but you may just be better off starting over completely with the Tazer you bought. It may not make a difference, but if the previous owner made programming changes, you might want to use your Tazer to set everything back to factory defaults before you make any changes of your own. You have no idea what the previous owner reset. Good luck.
Id give your tazer a try first though. I have that exact powerteq bypass in my JT. It works without issue with my Amazon Bluetooth obdII device and jscan app.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Riverjunkie

Riverjunkie

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Yes…it’s the bypass in the picture Gren71 posted.
From what ive read (and you are saying) ….you control the Tazer through the dash console but the Powerteq deal requires a separate programmer tied to the vin etc. which may be a hassle to figure out…

So just removing that Powerteq bypass and installing the Tazer bypass and starting over would be my easiest solution. I really have no idea what was changed with the powerteq deal. I’m just not sure if there will be a conflict in the programming between the two.
Cdyoung…your recommendation of restoring factory defaults sounds like a good idea.

are there performance tweaks that can be done with one vs the other?
thanks guys for the guidance.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Yes…it’s the bypass in the picture Gren71 posted.
From what ive read (and you are saying) ….you control the Tazer through the dash console but the Powerteq deal requires a separate programmer tied to the vin etc. which may be a hassle to figure out…

So just removing that Powerteq bypass and installing the Tazer bypass and starting over would be my easiest solution. I really have no idea what was changed with the powerteq deal. I’m just not sure if there will be a conflict in the programming between the two.
Cdyoung…your recommendation of restoring factory defaults sounds like a good idea.

are there performance tweaks that can be done with one vs the other?
thanks guys for the guidance.
I can't comment on the Tazer or the Powerteq. I've always used the SuperChips Flashcal, but I'd say they're pretty similar. I have a lot of options on my Flashcal. I would be surprised if you don't have the same/similar options with the Tazer. That one seems to be a little more popular.

OP
OP
Riverjunkie

Riverjunkie

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic Artist
What’s odd to me is that someone installed the Powerteq but didn’t fix the tire size (it seems anyway). Maybe it was installed before the tires changed size. Who knows.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I can't comment on the Tazer or the Powerteq. I've always used the SuperChips Flashcal, but I'd say they're pretty similar. I have a lot of options on my Flashcal. I would be surprised if you don't have the same/similar options with the Tazer. That one seems to be a little more popular.
They sent me the powerteq with my flashcal for it to work. Did they send you something different?