Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Also - bridges freeze before roads. You can tell when the temperature is dropping when you see (usually) trucks spun around looking at you on the other side of bridge. It's real easy to get sideways in a hurry. I always back my foot off the accelerator when I hit a bridge in these conditions.

Pay attention the next day and you can usually see evidence of people going off the road right after a bridge.
That's due to the heat from the ground slowing the freezing of the roads while the bridges are suspended in the air, and exits or entrance ramps often sit elevated by man-made high spots, again, allowing those to freeze more often than the main roads that sit more "on the ground".

Black ice is a very real thing here. I sideswiped a truck one time years ago. First wife and I were driving south on I35 heading home from her parents. As we approached Ames, I could see tail lights mixed with headlights and brake lights galore. By the time I realized what it meant - it was too late. Black ice, spun on the bridge, crossed the median on the other side of the bridge and the left fender of the car was nearly ripped off. Dozens of cars and trucks and 4x4s facing all directions on and off the interstate. We were lucky, that truck could have crushed that little Gremlin. I had my boss tow it to his shop where I ordered parts and fixed it up - we drove it for several more years.

Around here when there's frost warnings (common starting early October) they slime the bridges - that's when I stop driving my classic cars and put them away for winter. That slime is salt brine and they lay it on so heavy it splashes all over.
Sponsored

Gladiator Brad 704

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
My headlights freeze up in snow and ice. If you have LED lights yours will also. You will be stopping frequently at night in the snow to clear them just so you can see. In my opinion this is a safety issue and should be addressed by Jeep with a recall. If anyone knows of a fix I would like to know about it. Thanks.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
My headlights freeze up in snow and ice. If you have LED lights yours will also. You will be stopping frequently at night in the snow to clear them just so you can see. In my opinion this is a safety issue and should be addressed by Jeep with a recall. If anyone knows of a fix I would like to know about it. Thanks.
Get halogen bulbs or heated led.

https://www.jwspeaker.com/smartheat-heated-led-lights/

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-55004-Headlight-Adaptor/dp/B0102OHPRO

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
would this help?

Prestone AS246 Ice and Frost Shield Vehicle Glass Treatment, 32 oz.

ASIN B01GJ3JTO4

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
50K+ for a truck this should have been addressed by the manufacturer. I shouldn't have to spend another 800$ just to keep it drivable in the snow during low light conditions.
Except Jeep didn't do anything about it from the JK to the JL.

OP
OP

Genoa Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 2021 Jaguar F Type 2018 Range Rover
Occupation
Self Employed
We received our first snow storm in Lake Tahoe and it was significant! As such, I was able to see just how well our Mojave would perform. First off, our driveway is very steep and I had to back out, turn her around and down we went in 8" of fresh powder. No problem with that and we were off to the stables which are not plowed. The Mojave performed extremely well in snow, slush etc. and we were pleased and frankly relieved.

The only minor problem we experienced was driving back up our steep driveway. Specifically, I was in 2H doing just fine and half way up a neighbor stopped us for a chat. I knew I shouldn't have stopped (what an idiot) because I couldn't regain traction. However, I managed to slip into 4H while on light (spinning) acceleration and we shot right up the hill! I did have the dealer change the tires before we took possession with the BFG KO's that are severe winter rated.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We received our first snow storm in Lake Tahoe and it was significant! As such, I was able to see just how well our Mojave would perform. First off, our driveway is very steep and I had to back out, turn her around and down we went in 8" of fresh powder. No problem with that and we were off to the stables which are not plowed. The Mojave performed extremely well in snow, slush etc. and we were pleased and frankly relieved.

The only minor problem we experienced was driving back up our steep driveway. Specifically, I was in 2H doing just fine and half way up a neighbor stopped us for a chat. I knew I shouldn't have stopped (what an idiot) because I couldn't regain traction. However, I managed to slip into 4H while on light (spinning) acceleration and we shot right up the hill! I did have the dealer change the tires before we took possession with the BFG KO's that are severe winter rated.
Good winter rated tires make a huge difference. So much so that parts of Canada require winter rated tires during certain months.
Sponsored