Sponsored

Affordable Jeep JT, JL and JK Portal Axles???

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/74-weld-portals-for-jeep-wrangler/

February article date just came across my Instagram feed today. Please excuse if this is a duplicate.

Nice hardware and out of my check book range but as the article proves, these may make good sense for some.

"

These portal boxes are where the magic hides, and they are available for factory axles (although upgraded axle housings are recommended for tires over 35 inches, with or without portals) found under Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-2018), Wrangler JL (2018-present) and Gladiator JT (2020-present) models. The boxes are shrunken-down versions of 74Weld's Trophy Truck and Ultra4 portal boxes, specially designed to attach to the front and rear axles of these Jeeps. The boxes feature four gears and add a 1.19:1 ratio to the axles while adding 3.5 inches of lift and 3.5 inches of track width per side. This is like the result you get from spending thousands of dollars on a 3.5 inch suspension lift, then spending thousands of dollars to re-gear your axles.

And there's more—the gear reduction of the portal boxes at the axle ends decreases the amount of stress applied to the axle shafts, the ring-and-pinion, driveshafts, and basically everything upstream of the boxes. The portal boxes are also compatible with the JK, JL, and JT speed sensors for ABS compatibility on all four corners. And the lift achieved with the portals allows clearance for 37-inch tires. The portal boxes also add one-ton unit bearings, locking hubs up front, and drive gears in the rear. Scrub radius is optimized with 17-inch-minimum wheels with 8-on-6.5-inch lug pattern and a recommended 5-to-6-inches of backspacing. The system maintains stock front-inner 1350 shafts and U-joints and upgrades the rear axle shafts to double-spline axle shafts, included with the kit. JL Rubicon and JT keep their stock brakes while JL Sport/Sahara and JK upgrade to JT brake calipers (supplied) with new eight-lug rotors. The Jeep portals, as of KOH 2022, are $20,000 a set, subject to change. That's not cheap, but remember you are saving money on a suspension lift, axle gears, and installation of all that stuff".
Sponsored

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Soldier
Not feeling the love on this one:
-Affordable and $20,000.00 should not be used in the same article in my opinion.
-(although upgraded axle housings are recommended for tires over 35 inches, with or without portals) - very conservative and would require more $$$$$
Add to that, 4.10 X1.19 = 4.879(4.88) so would probably need a re-gear any way. more $$$$$ unless staying on 37"s
Also " portals allows clearance for 37-inch tires. " doesn't make sense since I run 37"s on a 1.5" leveling kit.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Lol, affordable.

But I will say this, and you heard it here first. Portals will be the defining upgrade for 4x4s this coming decade. It is the new squared, dual row 48" lightbar above the windshield in its potential to be THE upgrade. If that price point gets down to 10k, you will see portals up, down, left, right, and center. Recall the first dual row lightbars will thousands of dollars each, and now you can get them for like $200 brand new. If I had to start alllllllll over on my JT, I would seriously consider slapping on portals, 37s, and going to town.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
They are cool no doubt. But 5K per corner is steep. I don't see how this is a cost savings.
I have about 4K in lift and shocks plus 2K in my re gear.
Frankly the Jeep in the photo looks like it has ZERO room to flex.

Jeep Gladiator Affordable Jeep JT, JL and JK Portal Axles??? 1664895722460

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
They are cool no doubt. But 5K per corner is steep. I don't see how this is a cost savings.
I have about 4K in lift and shocks plus 2K in my re gear.
Frankly the Jeep in the photo looks like it has ZERO room to flex.

Jeep Gladiator Affordable Jeep JT, JL and JK Portal Axles??? 1664895722460
Traditional flex isn’t the benefit here, at least in terms of up travel. For rock crawling, that seems like a great stance. I’d likely add flat fenders, but a big tire and low lift is ideal.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I like, low with big tires and flexy....Just went from 35s to 37s and now chopping those fenders...
Personal preference...

Randonexplosion

First Name
Randon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Unnecessary height is definitely a negative but wtf are you gonna do with 2" of uptravel? You will be riding on the bumpstops constantly and they will be trying to push you over while crawling.

I tried running 3.5" of uptravel on my rear ORIs and it was terrible offroad at speed. Constantly hitting the internal bumstops. Im redoing my mounting and will run about 5" at the same ride height.

Im sure with that JK they are just showcasing the additional clearance that the portals give you.
Sponsored