Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 50th Anniversary, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Programmer
Vehicle Showcase
Were you able to get your backup camera to work? Very close to pulli g the trigger on the DMX7706s, but wanted to ensure no functionality was lost. And can you confirm the dash kit you modded for install? Just trying to get as much info as possible before starting the journey myself!
Thanks!
No. The factory backup camera carries both power and video on the single proprietary cable. We are going to install a new camera and new wire soon. It looks like we can fit the new camera in the OEM location so it will look factory.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hey @jdysart you got a total installed price? And does your navigation work off of your phones GPS system? Love ya know.

jdysart

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programmer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @jdysart you got a total installed price? And does your navigation work off of your phones GPS system? Love ya know.
See post #9 for more info, but yes it does use the phone for GPS as it uses Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. My price would be low compared to most. I would guess this would be in the $700-$900 range depending on lots of factors.

jdysart

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programmer
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got the backup camera swapped out for a new aftermarket unit. It fit very nicely into the OEM location. While we where adding the back up camera we added remote start as well.

Backup-Cam.jpg

Sponsored

Shadow409

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Finally got the backup camera swapped out for a new aftermarket unit. It fit very nicely into the OEM location. While we where adding the back up camera we added remote start as well.

Backup-Cam.jpg
Is your Glad an automatic or standard?

Johnnyboy110

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport
Man your Jeep looks sweet. I love the setup(wheels/tires) plus the remote start is a killer upgrade. What brand did you use??

Jzmattingly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sr. Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Finally swapped out the factory 5 inch to Kenwoods DMX7706s. I really missed android auto/CarPlay lol Installed myself with Metra dash kit & idatalink maestro rr/ch3 harness to retain steering controls, vehicle info, and temp gauges (also keeps climate control for those that have it). Has anyone figured out which two canbus ports to use behind the glove box to get gauges to work? I have currently lost my rear view camera And OEM USB connections due to no adapters being available, but I knew that going in. I’ll give them a bit longer To drop an adapter before I throw a nicer aftermarket Camera on. Everything else works great. Factory speakers do sound much better, but they will still be getting replaced With 6.5 inch speakers soon!

184AB090-B837-4F7B-BF3D-8B620AD7F739.jpeg

Bacon_00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S

Backup-Cam.jpg
Very nice! What was the process of swapping out the backup camera and (I assume) wire?

jdysart

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programmer
Vehicle Showcase
We pulled the OEM camera out and found one that matched up pretty close in size and it mounted up very easily to the factory location. Then we pulled the new Camera wire from the radio to the back. That was also pretty easy and followed the factory wiring.

Sponsored

Jzmattingly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sr. Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got my new Kenwood eXcelon DMX706s installed and working. We installed it with the Maestro RR and have it working with most all functions operational. We do have a couple things we have to work on. Here are the Pro's and Con's to replacing the factory radio that I have found so far. This is for the 5" Base Radio.

Pro's
I now have TPMS, Vehicle Data, and Guages on the radio.
I now have Climate feedback on my radio screen. No control just feedback
I now have Apple CarPlay / Android Auto
I now have the ability to add a front Offroad/Parking camera
I now have Navigation

Con's
The factory USB ports will no longer work, so I had to add a new USB port
Still working on making the factory backup camera work. We believe it will, but will require an adapter plug. It is on order and I will report back when we know for sure.

batch_Kenwood1.jpg

batch_Kenwood-Radio.jpg

batch_Kenwood-Guages3.jpg

batch_Kenwood-Guages2.jpg

batch_Kenwood-Guages1.jpg

batch_Kenwood-Climate.jpg
did you use the connections behind the glove box to get gauges up and running? What port did you plug into, I couldn’t find this part anywhere in the instructions and didn’t want to just start plugging it in to random places. Lol

EDIT: Found the manual for the alpine vehicle specific install which had better instructions. For anyone else that installs with the base radio, you can plug the male connector from harness into the top left port of the green can us junction box. The second (female) connector that’s on the harness is only used if there is a connector plugged in that matches the colors stated in the instructions. In that case, you would replace the existing connection with the male connector on harness, then plug the oem connector into the female connector on the harness. Hope this helps someone else!

Last edited:

Trailstomp

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Healthcare IT/Nurse
We pulled the OEM camera out and found one that matched up pretty close in size and it mounted up very easily to the factory location. Then we pulled the new Camera wire from the radio to the back. That was also pretty easy and followed the factory wiring.
What camera did you buy? Can you place a link so we can find it? This is the biggest issue that is holding me back from getting an after market head unit.
Sponsored