www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I know very little about airbags and haven't thought about them much before. Sitting here sipping on some rum and started to wonder about them. Usually people talk about them for use when towing. Can they have any advantages when off road? I don't know if they can raise the Jeep above the normal resting height or not.

Can they raise you up a bit if you are high centered? Help to get up and over then deflate again?

Any help in far off camber situations? Assuming you could inflate the downhill side?

Or should I just put the rum down? 😂
Sponsored

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Im not much help but I had a land rover LR4, it had airbags, a stick, literally a stick, went vertical, popped the airbag, the enitre rear suspension dropped to the bump stops, the compressor that fills the airbags kept going, burnt out and needed to be replaced, broke the bump stops and other rear misc suspension parts, costing $6k in repairs. so i decided no off roading with airbags. towing in a large pickup is great because it adjustable etc, but for me off roading its a terrible idea. The ride is smooth tho lol

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I have Firestone bags to install on my JTR for towing. They aren't like the airbags on the H2. Those are spring replacements, made by Goodyear, in fact. The raise/lower function, which absolutely comes in handy in a pinch, is more flexible than what an in-spring airbag does.

The spring compression is altered by the body of the bag interfering between the coils, so the pre-load is the same, but the effective spring rate is higher. Top of the bag doesn't even touch the spring perch, that's where the inflation valve is.

OP
OP
Rummie

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I have Firestone bags to install on my JTR for towing. They aren't like the airbags on the H2. Those are spring replacements, made by Goodyear, in fact. The raise/lower function, which absolutely comes in handy in a pinch, is more flexible than what an in-spring airbag does.

The spring compression is altered by the body of the bag interfering between the coils, so the pre-load is the same, but the effective spring rate is higher. Top of the bag doesn't even touch the spring perch, that's where the inflation valve is.
Thanks! That is exactly the kind of info I needed.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Rummie reach out to Elff on here , he has a Jeep on air bags, had it at a Gladiator get together at Rausch Creek, he towed it to Rausch with his Gladiator, pretty amazing. I was not there, but he posted pictures on the thread.....Jack
Sponsored