Sponsored

Amp research power step XL

Apocalypz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Unlimited, 2021 JTR Diesel (Ordered 7/11/20)
Occupation
Operations
To the guys with these installed, do you have the bypass switch and can you show a picture of where it's mounted? Thanks
I have it mounted in the glove box. Can send pic later. 3 settings. 1 - Normal operation with doors on. 2 - Complete disengaged, so they don’t go down at all 3 - Door off operation.

When the doors are off, I have it also wired to the a toggle switch, so you can manually put them down to get in.

Mine are on a 2007 JKU. I have a 2021 JTR diesel on order, so will be looking to get a set for it, although, AMP Research does not have a set built and ready for the 2021 JTR diesel yet.
Sponsored

Gwedough

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Accountant
I am almost finished with my install, but cannot figure out how to wire the “trigger wires” on the passenger side door compartment. Can somebody snap a picture of that for me so I know where to look for the wires?
Here is one of the 3 plugs (white, blue & black) you tap into for the trigger wire module.
Jeep Gladiator Amp research power step XL 90207570-F6B3-4019-B8E7-2D86C0CCC937

you can find the plugs here:
Jeep Gladiator Amp research power step XL 7E95DBD0-C1BC-4AC3-BFB2-4752A83D083A

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
I have it mounted in the glove box. Can send pic later. 3 settings. 1 - Normal operation with doors on. 2 - Complete disengaged, so they don’t go down at all 3 - Door off operation.

When the doors are off, I have it also wired to the a toggle switch, so you can manually put them down to get in.

Mine are on a 2007 JKU. I have a 2021 JTR diesel on order, so will be looking to get a set for it, although, AMP Research does not have a set built and ready for the 2021 JTR diesel yet.
Why would the steps be different for the diesel? Only difference will be the engine - body pieces and dimensions should be the same. Am I missing something?

Apocalypz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Unlimited, 2021 JTR Diesel (Ordered 7/11/20)
Occupation
Operations
Why would the steps be different for the diesel? Only difference will be the engine - body pieces and dimensions should be the same. Am I missing something?
Agreed. On the AMP site they say their current steps are not applicable for the diesel model. I’m thinking just because they haven’t gotten their hands on a diesel to play around with.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed. On the AMP site they say their current steps are not applicable for the diesel model. I’m thinking just because they haven’t gotten their hands on a diesel to play around with.
Hmmm....maybe it's something in the wiring? Still seems odd...thanks for the clarification...

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
So...finished my install of the AMP Research Powersteps XL. Not what I'd call an easy install but, overall not too bad. Definitely helps to have a second person. Couple of notes:
  • First off - the instructions aren't great. Pictures are line drawings derived from photos. There usually isn't good orientation provided so they take a bit of study.
  • Parts list is good but sizes aren't consistently provided - at least not until later steps (i.e. 10mm bolt, 13mm bolt, etc.). I ended up using 1/2" socket for most of install until late when the directions mentioned they were 13mm bolts. Minor thing but would have made it easier in the beginning.
  • Some steps are out of order. During wiring phase there is a pic of wire taps in step 10 but they aren't utilized until step 14, two pages later. Again, minor once you figure it out but unnecessarily confusing.
  • Biggest single issue is with the wiring harness. The instructions tell you to mount the Power Step Controller between the battery and passenger side fender - this is a good location to control heat exposure to the controller. Unfortunately, with controller mounted in this location, the wiring harness leg to the driver side is ~12" too short. I had to really stretch it to get it to reach the driver rear motor. This condition required some gymnastics to mount the controller correctly. Also, wiring for the driver's side lights was WAY too short. Ended up having to splice in ~10" of wire for rear and ~6" of wire on front to make lights function. Passenger side leg of harness was fine. This should NOT be required on $1800 steps. An additional 12" of wire in the harness would make this installation MUCH easier and result in a much cleaner final product.
  • There are NO troubleshooting steps or information related to the motors. For example, the instructions direct you to mount the brackets, then mount the drive linkage, then mount the side steps, then mount the motors. Unfortunately, due to the position of the gears in the motor (and no power yet), the motor is difficult to line up to the drive linkage cog. This isn't unexpected but, nevertheless, results in the the linkages being at differing degrees of extension. Obviously, with the step attached, this becomes difficult/impossible to line up correctly (i.e. the step is crooked). There is no mention of this condition or how to address it. When I called customer service (see below), I was told to remove the step and install this last. If this isn't done, upon power-on for first time, the motors can bend the steps. :angry: Apparently, the motors will self-sync on initial power. Seems like a nice thing to mention in installation instructions. I was lucky in that I asked the question before powering on.
  • Finally, customer service was mediocre. When I called to ask a few questions on the install, the person who assisted me seemed completely uninterested in any feedback or suggestions for improvement in instructions, harness or any other issues I was having. His response was simply that the engineers had made these determinations and design, so, therefore, it must be good enough. Hmmm. I will say he did offer to send me a couple of replacement clips for the motor covers missing from the kit, which I appreciated.
Bottomline: Steps are on and they look and work great! Install wasn't too bad but could have been MUCH easier with just a few mods to instructions and harness by AMP Research. I really like the steps and recommend them to others, just take your time for install, watch for the above issues and have a good friend available to assist!

Ron

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow - traded, 2021 JT Rubicon
So...finished my install of the AMP Research Powersteps XL. Not what I'd call an easy install but, overall not too bad. Definitely helps to have a second person. Couple of notes:
  • First off - the instructions aren't great. Pictures are line drawings derived from photos. There usually isn't good orientation provided so they take a bit of study.
  • Parts list is good but sizes aren't consistently provided - at least not until later steps (i.e. 10mm bolt, 13mm bolt, etc.). I ended up using 1/2" socket for most of install until late when the directions mentioned they were 13mm bolts. Minor thing but would have made it easier in the beginning.
  • Some steps are out of order. During wiring phase there is a pic of wire taps in step 10 but they aren't utilized until step 14, two pages later. Again, minor once you figure it out but unnecessarily confusing.
  • Biggest single issue is with the wiring harness. The instructions tell you to mount the Power Step Controller between the battery and passenger side fender - this is a good location to control heat exposure to the controller. Unfortunately, with controller mounted in this location, the wiring harness leg to the driver side is ~12" too short. I had to really stretch it to get it to reach the driver rear motor. This condition required some gymnastics to mount the controller correctly. Also, wiring for the driver's side lights was WAY too short. Ended up having to splice in ~10" of wire for rear and ~6" of wire on front to make lights function. Passenger side leg of harness was fine. This should NOT be required on $1800 steps. An additional 12" of wire in the harness would make this installation MUCH easier and result in a much cleaner final product.
  • There are NO troubleshooting steps or information related to the motors. For example, the instructions direct you to mount the brackets, then mount the drive linkage, then mount the side steps, then mount the motors. Unfortunately, due to the position of the gears in the motor (and no power yet), the motor is difficult to line up to the drive linkage cog. This isn't unexpected but, nevertheless, results in the the linkages being at differing degrees of extension. Obviously, with the step attached, this becomes difficult/impossible to line up correctly (i.e. the step is crooked). There is no mention of this condition or how to address it. When I called customer service (see below), I was told to remove the step and install this last. If this isn't done, upon power-on for first time, the motors can bend the steps. :angry: Apparently, the motors will self-sync on initial power. Seems like a nice thing to mention in installation instructions. I was lucky in that I asked the question before powering on.
  • Finally, customer service was mediocre. When I called to ask a few questions on the install, the person who assisted me seemed completely uninterested in any feedback or suggestions for improvement in instructions, harness or any other issues I was having. His response was simply that the engineers had made these determinations and design, so, therefore, it must be good enough. Hmmm. I will say he did offer to send me a couple of replacement clips for the motor covers missing from the kit, which I appreciated.
Bottomline: Steps are on and they look and work great! Install wasn't too bad but could have been MUCH easier with just a few mods to instructions and harness by AMP Research. I really like the steps and recommend them to others, just take your time for install, watch for the above issues and have a good friend available to assist!

Ron

I have had single motor AMPs on other trucks in the past...they really think the product through...but I think the directions have always been sketchy.

I want to order them for my JT but they haven't confirmed that electronics will work for a 2021 JT...seems like FCA has had habit of changing things mid cycle. Basically they would not guarantee fitment or operation.

So it's either late or get RSE instead. Good problems to have I guess.

Any Pics?

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I have had single motor AMPs on other trucks in the past...they really think the product through...but I think the directions have always been sketchy.

I want to order them for my JT but they haven't confirmed that electronics will work for a 2021 JT...seems like FCA has had habit of changing things mid cycle. Basically they would not guarantee fitment or operation.

So it's either late or get RSE instead. Good problems to have I guess.

Any Pics?
Hey STL G...sorry for the late reply and posting of pics. Here a few of the final result. I'm really happy with how the install turned out and steps are awesome!

Step Pic 1.jpg

Step Pic 2.jpg

Step Pic 3.jpg

Step Pic 4.jpg

Step Pic 5.jpg

Step Pic 6.jpg

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
@Ravenron love your JT!
hey could you take a measurement of how far the stick out I can’t decide between this and the RSE. The RSE makes the JT look like it has wings because they look so wide.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
@Ravenron love your JT!
hey could you take a measurement of how far the stick out I can’t decide between this and the RSE. The RSE makes the JT look like it has wings because they look so wide.
Sure...still not moving about yet, but I’ll get a measurement later this morning. The AR steps don’t come out much further from the body than the stock Rubi rock rails. They also don’t curve along the body like the stockers either. The best asset of the AR’s is the wide step (>6”).

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
@Ravenron love your JT!
So...the requested measurements, taken from Rear, Middle (just under the rear door hinge), and Front (just under the Jeep emblem) are as follows:
  • Rear - 3 1/4"
  • Mid - 2 5/8"
  • Front - 3 1/8"
This wasn't very scientific, I just held the tape against the body, resting on the step at a point where the body was straight. The difference in distances is due the curvature of the body and the step being straight (i.e. tighter in the middle, more distance at each end). My last pic in post #38 shows this as well.

Definitely not the step for hardcore off-roading but should hold up fairly well for moderate fun. If not, I purchased 4 Wheel Parts' "No Questions Asked" warranty - full replacement for ANY damage. Seemed well worth $160 for an $1800 part. And they don't seem to be "fragile", just not suited for dragging over obstacles.

Oh...and the "wing" look of the RSE's might provide some side body protection for the doors? Something to think about.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So...the requested measurements, taken from Rear, Middle (just under the rear door hinge), and Front (just under the Jeep emblem) are as follows:
  • Rear - 3 1/4"
  • Mid - 2 5/8"
  • Front - 3 1/8"
This wasn't very scientific, I just held the tape against the body, resting on the step at a point where the body was straight. The difference in distances is due the curvature of the body and the step being straight (i.e. tighter in the middle, more distance at each end). My last pic in post #38 shows this as well.

Definitely not the step for hardcore off-roading but should hold up fairly well for moderate fun. If not, I purchased 4 Wheel Parts' "No Questions Asked" warranty - full replacement for ANY damage. Seemed well worth $160 for an $1800 part. And they don't seem to be "fragile", just not suited for dragging over obstacles.

Oh...and the "wing" look of the RSE's might provide some side body protection for the doors? Something to think about.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you VERY much. This helped a lot. Ultimately I think I’m going for the RSE they have a 10% off right now so they are only like 100 more than these.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you VERY much. This helped a lot. Ultimately I think I’m going for the RSE they have a 10% off right now so they are only like 100 more than these.
Good luck...I've heard that the RSE were a bit more complicated on the install (wiring) but haven't done them myself. When I inquired about installation at 4WP, they were significantly more expensive to install (more time required). If you do it yourself you can absorb that cost...

Take care and post pics when done!

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
The thing you guys might be missing is that the DEF tank required in new diesels often complicates the mounts for these types of steps.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Sponsored