Sponsored

Anybody heard anything about this?

Knolow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Just to add here…

I think it’s def meant for 3 seasons not 4.
Also better price point and definitely much needed competition for the very expensive oem solution.
Lastly it’s a great option for those of us with bed racks and RTTs. This will work (better) unlike the oem one.
Sponsored

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
Just to add here…

I think it’s def meant for 3 seasons not 4.
Also better price point and definitely much needed competition for the very expensive oem solution.
Lastly it’s a great option for those of us with bed racks and RTTs. This will work (better) unlike the oem one.
Agreed about the seasons. My wife’s goes on the JLU for spring thru fall. Then the hardtop back on for winter.

Knolow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Agreed about the seasons. My wife’s goes on the JLU for spring thru fall. Then the hardtop back on for winter.
out of laziness I didn’t go backwards and read your post, do you have the Rugged Ridge brand top on your JLU? I recall reading in here someone saying they did. My question is on the material, is it cloth like the oem or more of a plastic type material?

JKJ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
Occupation
Seller of the suds.
Rugged Ridge is offering 10% off through 2/27 I believe if anyone wants to be the official tester.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Rugged Ridge is offering 10% off through 2/27 I believe if anyone wants to be the official tester.
Well damn. Now I'm going spend money and get in trouble.

Sponsored

Knolow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So I just got off the phone with tech support for rugged ridge (the one on the instruction manual) and they confirmed this is just a fast back for the front NOT the back. Rear passenger portion does NOT flap forward and that the image on the webpage was during install and gives the wrong impression.

This bumbed me out. Looking for others in this forum to contact them and co-confirm what the tech told me cause I was going to order it with the current sale but not if the back isn’t intended to open.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
So it's just a Sunrider with a fabric rear that don't open? That makes about zero sense.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just got off the phone with tech support for rugged ridge (the one on the instruction manual) and they confirmed this is just a fast back for the front NOT the back. Rear passenger portion does NOT flap forward and that the image on the webpage was during install and gives the wrong impression.

This bumbed me out. Looking for others in this forum to contact them and co-confirm what the tech told me cause I was going to order it with the current sale but not if the back isn’t intended to open.
So it's just a Sunrider with a fabric rear that don't open? That makes about zero sense.
Why couldn't the back just be removed? Put it in the bed or something. It's still better than being out in the rain with no top with a hard top at home.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Why couldn't the back just be removed? Put it in the bed or something. It's still better than being out in the rain with no top with a hard top at home.
If it's easily removable I'd be ok with that I think.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking over the instructions now. But they aren't very good, so it's hard to tell how easy it'll be.

Knolow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm looking over the instructions now. But they aren't very good, so it's hard to tell how easy it'll be.
ok so I asked the same question but this time of the website of the voyager product. You can see the response there and I did a screen shot pic attached.

they do confirm again it’s NOT intended to have the back passenger roof open (roll) to create the same open air like for the front passengers.

3C5939BD-2925-42A3-927C-A07391CB7724.png

Knolow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If it's easily removable I'd be ok with that I think.
See above for their response.

I will admit in their defense they did say it’s not intended nor designed for the back to roll forward for the openness like the front but you could do it. To do it safely you would need to get 2 straps (soft buckle straps) to secure the entire soft top on top of the center crash/sound bar and keep it from blowing away.

Last edited:

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
See above for their response.

I will admit in their defense they did say it’s not intended nor designed for the back to roll forward for the openness like the front but you could do it. To do it safely you would need to get 2 straps (soft buckle straps) to secure the entire soft top on top of the center crash/sound bar and keep it from blowing away.
I can only speak on the JLU version, but it also is not “intended” for the back to be open. However, I can tell you from experience, that we undo the straps that wrap around the rear roll bar, then fold the rear forward, then fold it again. That puts it directly above the soundbar. We then flip the front back. Since the front folds back almost in an accordion style and has a clamp to keep it locked down, it does a great job of holding the folded rear portion under it. My wife has driven her JLU with the top like this at 60 mph and it held perfectly.

ajr2025

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Fire fighter
I can only speak on the JLU version, but it also is not “intended” for the back to be open. However, I can tell you from experience, that we undo the straps that wrap around the rear roll bar, then fold the rear forward, then fold it again. That puts it directly above the soundbar. We then flip the front back. Since the front folds back almost in an accordion style and has a clamp to keep it locked down, it does a great job of holding the folded rear portion under it. My wife has driven her JLU with the top like this at 60 mph and it held perfectly.

How much head room is lost(I’m 6’5”, head room is already limited)? It looks like it sits even with the top of the roll bars.
Sponsored