Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's a matter of opinion in the end.
Most of us really like it. It really is that simple. It works EXACTLY in the JT as it does our current GC and it did the GC before that. I like it and I certainly don't live in a "mild climate" with our wild swings - 10 below over night, 30 during the day, 40 over night, 60 the next day, then back to single digits - all in a week. We may have a week of highs in the single digits, or worse, and as we've seen recently, a month where the highs are almost all in the upper 90s with humidity to match.
We - my wife and I - love how our Jeep HVAC systems work. My JT is very much like my Chevy was, a bit different, yes, but also very much like our GCs have been.
So I guess either some have faulty systems, or it's a matter of opinion. Because finding "multiple threads" on the internet does not establish with certainty a systemic issue or problem. It's where people gather to complain.

I see a lot of "I don't like how it works" but I don't see every person who says that say "this is exactly how I expect it to work". It's mostly " I don't like how it works". So there's also little specifics from the majority of those who complain. Yes, some DO lay out what they expect, but not all. Some it's very hard to track exactly what they expect other than they don't like this system.
"The AC compressor runs but the light doesn't come on"
Good grief - that's 100% NORMAL! Get over that!
It's in countless books - ya just noticed that after all these years? Maybe I need to drag out some of my diagnostics charts and dust them off and scan them. It is NORMAL to run the AC compressor with the heat on under some conditions and NO, the light will NOT come on because it's not in AC mode.
Yeah, I actually see that as a complaint! I can't believe it.
So what we need to do is take any complaint that mentions that and cross it off the list.

There may be SOME who actually DO have faulty systems, but that's a few, not all, not most.
Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Most of us really like it. It really is that simple. It works EXACTLY in the JT as it does our current GC and it did the GC before that. I like it and I certainly don't live in a "mild climate" with our wild swings - 10 below over night, 30 during the day, 40 over night, 60 the next day, then back to single digits - all in a week. We may have a week of highs in the single digits, or worse, and as we've seen recently, a month where the highs are almost all in the upper 90s with humidity to match.
We - my wife and I - love how our Jeep HVAC systems work. My JT is very much like my Chevy was, a bit different, yes, but also very much like our GCs have been.
So I guess either some have faulty systems, or it's a matter of opinion. Because finding "multiple threads" on the internet does not establish with certainty a systemic issue or problem. It's where people gather to complain.

I see a lot of "I don't like how it works" but I don't see every person who says that say "this is exactly how I expect it to work". It's mostly " I don't like how it works". So there's also little specifics from the majority of those who complain. Yes, some DO lay out what they expect, but not all. Some it's very hard to track exactly what they expect other than they don't like this system.
It's in countless books - ya just noticed that after all these years? Maybe I need to drag out some of my diagnostics charts and dust them off and scan them. It is NORMAL to run the AC compressor with the heat on under some conditions and NO, the light will NOT come on because it's not in AC mode.
So what we need to do is take any complaint that mentions that and cross it off the list.

There may be SOME who actually DO have faulty systems, but that's a few, not all, not most.
I admit...I really have no idea how it works.. Just that it does what it is suppose to do...keep me comfortable....at least during the so called winter months in Florida. I do seem to have to set the "temp" a few deg lower than what I would consider normal...i.e if I want to feel like its upper 60s...i set to 62-65. Come July/August...i might be singing a different tune.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I admit...I really have no idea how it works.. Just that it does what it is suppose to do...keep me comfortable....at least during the so called winter months in Florida. I do seem to have to set the "temp" a few deg lower than what I would consider normal...i.e if I want to feel like its upper 60s...i set to 62-65. Come July/August...i might be singing a different tune.
So we should turn the volume down on our phones or computers? LOL Just kidding. You do NOT want to hear me sing - especially now with the flu or nasty throat infection or whatever the heck it is. I even scare the poor cats now.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
want to swap yours out for my automatic system ? Would do it in a heartbeat!
Pass. I had all the bells and whistles on my JKR. Purposely went minimal on JT. Max w/cold weather and soft top

Freshtracks

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020, Jeep TJ sport 1998, Jeep TJ sport 2002, Jeep JK 2015
One thing with the auto that took me months to realize is that it wont kick on until the engine is warmed up (This includes fan speed). For me this can take 30+ minutes around DC on cold day.
I live in northern Alberta it doesn’t take that long, maybe 10 minutes it was -20 this morning truck was warmed up in 15 minutes. One thing I did notice though is in my fords I kept my comfort temp at 20.5 in the winter in my JT I’ve got it set at 23.5 to feel comfortable. That’s the only difference.

Freshtracks

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020, Jeep TJ sport 1998, Jeep TJ sport 2002, Jeep JK 2015
"Auto" is smarter than people - it's configured to warm up to the temp chosen in the most efficient means or way while not making you feel cold or feel a chill. My wife for example gets in, starts her Jeep, cranks the fan up on high and freezes my face off until the engine starts to warm up. Drives me nuts as she thinks she's warming things up faster. WRONG.
She's only keeping the heater core cooled off and making us feel cold and miserable for 10 minutes until things start to warm up (depending on outside temp)
Auto takes into account the current temps, engine temp, the temp you have chosen, say you chose 70 on the screen, and calculates the best way to get there the quickest while not making you feel cold or uncomfortable in the meantime.
I keep trying to convince my wife it's got it all figured out - I think I'm finally winning - she no longer cranks the fan up high when she hops in my JT.

If you are old school, then go ahead and freeze body parts off until the engine coolant warms - crank that fan up high, blast the air in your face, but in reality, it will take longer to warm the cabin up and you'll feel cold in the meantime. ;-)
Awesome post, yes I tried to convince my now ex wife this for years she was just to ignorant to listen, hence why she’s my ex.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Something else to mention. I had a '15 JKU I sold to buy my JTR. It had a built in hygrometer and would kick on the A/C when the interior humidity got to a predetermined level to prevent foggy windows. IDK if this was continued with the JLs/JTs, but the A/C light didn't come on when it was in operation. It was a really nice feature.

Sponsored

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase

FYI, HVAC systems in Japanese cars of the 80s/90s did NOT run the A/C automatically when the defroster was turned on. You had to push the A/C button to dehumidify the air. If all you've owned is Asian cars, it WOULD be abnormal for it to run the A/C automatically.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I just wish I had the choice for the temperature of the air coming out of the vents to be thermostatically controlled by where I have it set on the dial (like the base system: cold to hot) instead of an actual temperature. Even when the 8.4 in. system in my JTR is not set to "auto", the air output still self-adjusts throughout my trip. And worse yet, while the side to side adjustment is set to "sync", the passenger's side vents are pushing out air that is either slightly warmer or colder than the driver's side (this is more of an annoyance).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, HVAC systems in Japanese cars of the 80s/90s did NOT run the A/C automatically when the defroster was turned on. You had to push the A/C button to dehumidify the air. If all you've owned is Asian cars, it WOULD be abnormal for it to run the A/C automatically.
I'll have to ask my son how their Korean cars have done over the years............ they've owned several while living over there.

OP
OP
Tommy McRae

Tommy McRae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Update.... It does work. It just really takes a long time to come on. The engine temp can be up to normal for quite a while before it comes on. I can switch to manual and the air coming from the vents is warm. Then back to auto and it will come on soon after. I've had no issues with AC but It's not really been warm out since I bought it. Thanks for all the input.

TallGuy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
now: 2020 Gladiator then: 2003 TJ, 1994 Grand Cherokee, 1975 J10
Performance of the auto climate has been disappointing for heat. Haven't been through a summer in it yet. It is slow to come on and seems to dump mostly out the defrost vent. Every other auto climate system I've experienced increases fan speed as soon as the engine temp starts to warm, and directs air to warm your body and less so the windshield, but this doesn't. The other day temps were in the single digits and the fan finally kicked on a higher speed. I have resorted to using it like the manual system in my dear departed '03 TJ. Yes the AC comes on in auto mode, that is fine to lower humidity and help defog windows. At the first service I'm going to ask/complain about it, maybe its a programming issue.
Sponsored