Sponsored

Overland doesn't seem to bridge the gap between Sport S & Rubicon

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Good points! Just my opinions. Agree with proportions, that is going to take checking it out in person for me to figure out. If you are a performance guy, the Rubi is top of the line no doubt about it.

My profile pic is what I feel.

What I drive will be toned down and when you see it you have to think a second before you realize it's got all the necessaries.

I think overland is top of the line due to luxury.

I think Rubi is kick ass, just loud about it. Take for example the red hooks. The stiching. Not more functional, just brighter. So for me, that is the heavy duty truck part of the lineup, given its superior function.

The Sport S for me is the blank canvas. You can start with most of the function, and bolt on to your heart's content.

Now, the basic sport has my respect, it is full on jeep truck, just simpler version.
Yeah I see what you are saying I guess for me if you are buying it to bolt on a bunch of stuff it becomes just as flashy or more flashy then the Rubicon. I don't really think the Rubicon is flashy but designed well. We just bought my wife a JLUR and she loves it. She has had a JKU Sport and a JKUR and she thinks the new one is perfect. I even think the proportions are correct on the JLUR. I'm lucky that I did get to see the Gladiator Rubicon in person, doesn't look as long to me in person but does scream for larger tires. I think it should have come with 35's from the factory and it will look the best to me with 37's. But the great thing about Jeep is they are built to be adult lego's so you can make what makes you happy. Half the fun of a jeep is seeing what everyone else does compared to what you do and coming up with new idea's/ designs.
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Yeah I see what you are saying I guess for me if you are buying it to bolt on a bunch of stuff it becomes just as flashy or more flashy then the Rubicon. I don't really think the Rubicon is flashy but designed well. We just bought my wife a JLUR and she loves it. She has had a JKU Sport and a JKUR and she thinks the new one is perfect. I even think the proportions are correct on the JLUR. I'm lucky that I did get to see the Gladiator Rubicon in person, doesn't look as long to me in person but does scream for larger tires. I think it should have come with 35's from the factory and it will look the best to me with 37's. But the great thing about Jeep is they are built to be adult lego's so you can make what makes you happy. Half the fun of a jeep is seeing what everyone else does compared to what you do and coming up with new idea's/ designs.
I could have said that better about Rubicons. Don't want to piss off real Jeepers. Agree Rubi is designed well and in a great performance package. Just for me personally, I'll shy away from the huge name badge in favor of something I can scrape past a rock and not worry about it, and I want the option to have black hooks and a dash that doesn't distract me. I'm just an old guy now. Simpler!

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I could have said that better about Rubicons. Don't want to piss off real Jeepers. Agree Rubi is designed well and in a great performance package. Just for me personally, I'll shy away from the huge name badge in favor of something I can scrape past a rock and not worry about it, and I want the option to have black hooks and a dash that doesn't distract me. I'm just an old guy now. Simpler!

I hear you, buy the rubicon tell the dealer they have to remove stickers replace hooks with black and paint the dash win / win!

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
Good points! Just my opinions. Agree with proportions, that is going to take checking it out in person for me to figure out. If you are a performance guy, the Rubi is top of the line no doubt about it.

My profile pic is what I feel.

What I drive will be toned down and when you see it you have to think a second before you realize it's got all the necessaries.

I think overland is top of the line due to luxury.

I think Rubi is kick ass, just loud about it. Take for example the red hooks. The stiching. Not more functional, just brighter. So for me, that is the heavy duty truck part of the lineup, given its superior function.

The Sport S for me is the blank canvas. You can start with most of the function, and bolt on to your heart's content.

Now, the basic sport has my respect, it is full on jeep truck, just simpler version.
Agreed I love what the Rubicon offers performance wise but I hate the shouty attitude about it. I'm not 8 years old I don't want silly loud colors and exterior trinkets everywhere. The best part is that you're gonna pay for that stuff even if you want to remove it later.

Someone said it before in so many words. The Rubicon is just as much about marketing as it is capability. It is a moving billboard to Jeep's heritage and tradition. The Jeep is a truck not a museum piece.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
Agreed I love what the Rubicon offers performance wise but I hate the shouty attitude about it. I'm not 8 years old I don't want silly loud colors and exterior trinkets everywhere. The best part is that you're gonna pay for that stuff even if you want to remove it later.

Someone said it before in so many words. The Rubicon is just as much about marketing as it is capability. It is a moving billboard to Jeep's heritage and tradition. The Jeep is a truck not a museum piece.
I thought I was the only one that feels this way. Rubicons are great - but to me they are a little tacky and kind of bro-mobile. But in a good way. There is a yellow JLUR at work and it looks bad-ass. I don't think the Sport would pull it off as well. But it's just not my style.

And that is not to take away from its capability at all. It's an incredible value. Just not my preferred styling.

Sponsored

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I get what the OP is saying. If you want towing, you have 2 options--Sport S Max Tow, or Rubicon. If you want a capable JT with leather, nav, all the bells and whistles, but don't need lockers, the disconnecting sway bar, or a 4:1 t-case, your only option is the Overland, but since there isn't a max tow package on it, you are stuck at 4000# towing.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
I get what the OP is saying. If you want towing, you have 2 options--Sport S Max Tow, or Rubicon. If you want a capable JT with leather, nav, all the bells and whistles, but don't need lockers, the disconnecting sway bar, or a 4:1 t-case, your only option is the Overland, but since there isn't a max tow package on it, you are stuck at 4000# towing.
Rubicon is good for towing? I thought because of it’s setup for off road that it’s towing was weaker.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
The Rubican is looking better and better to me.
Are the on road manners that much worse on the Rubican compared to the other trims?

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I thought I was the only one that feels this way. Rubicons are great - but to me they are a little tacky and kind of bro-mobile. But in a good way. There is a yellow JLUR at work and it looks bad-ass. I don't think the Sport would pull it off as well. But it's just not my style.

And that is not to take away from its capability at all. It's an incredible value. Just not my preferred styling.
Indeed I will just go aftermarket. I know there will be plenty out there for it.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
When you say the Overland will have better road manners. Besides stock tires any other reason this would be true?
It won’t have the Rubi’s suspension, transfer case, lockers, or more aggressive tires. An overland with an LSD will handle snow/rain/crap roads a little easier than a Rubi with RockTrack

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
6000 in an overland with the auto.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
It won’t have the Rubi’s suspension, transfer case, lockers, or more aggressive tires. An overland with an LSD will handle snow/rain/crap roads a little easier than a Rubi with RockTrack
The overland has LSD and the Rubican does not? Is that right ?