Sponsored

Difference between max tow and my Overland?

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Oh and trans cooler. Go to Jeep build sure and read Max tow option. All details there.
Standard tow package is the same as max tow minus the gearing and wide axles. All tow packages have HD cooling and 240A alternator.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Standard tow package is the same as max tow minus the gearing and wide axles. All tow packages have HD cooling and 240A alternator.
My JTR has the factory Class-IV Tow Pkg. and it has all the same things the Max Tow has, plus, all the Rubicon stuff. The only difference being the 7,000 lbs. tow rating vs. the 7,650 tow rating on the Max Tow version. Which, let's face it, if you get anywhere near 7K lbs. behind a V6 truck, you're going to be struggle-bussing it up hills, and to get that wagon train rolling and stopping. So IN MY OPINION (I only emphasized because some love to argue), that the extra 650 lbs. is nothing more than a sales gimmick.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My JTR has the factory Class-IV Tow Pkg. and it has all the same things the Max Tow has, plus, all the Rubicon stuff. The only difference being the 7,000 lbs. tow rating vs. the 7,650 tow rating on the Max Tow version. Which, let's face it, if you get anywhere near 7K lbs. behind a V6 truck, you're going to be struggle-bussing it up hills, and to get that wagon train rolling and stopping. So IN MY OPINION (I only emphasized because some love to argue), that the extra 650 lbs. is nothing more than a sales gimmick.
It's definitely a gimmick to validate the Gladiator as a midsize truck. Realistically they did everything they could to max out the rating that results from the SAE test that determines towing capacity.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
There may be some sales gaming happening, but there will be some real difference in inertia, etc. between a 31.5" tall, 9.8" wide tire weighing 34 lb. and the Rubi 32.8", 11.2" wide, 62.8 pound tire.

I wanted more trail capability while keeping as much towing ability as practical, so went with 10" wide, 33.1" tall, 52.5 pound Falken 255-80-17 tires. Loaded radius of the stockers was 15.5" at 40 psi, and the Falkens 16" at 45 lb.

Last edited:

dernawe

First Name
Kalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Program Manager
That’s what I found as well. So upgraded the gears (or the full rear axle) SHOULD get you to the same capacity. I’m not really sold on the difference in brakes, but if there is a difference that’s a cheap upgrade.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I found as well. So upgraded the gears (or the full rear axle) SHOULD get you to the same capacity. I’m not really sold on the difference in brakes, but if there is a difference that’s a cheap upgrade.
I’d almost bet money the Rubicon w/ tow has the same brakes as the max tow.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’d almost bet money the Rubicon w/ tow has the same brakes as the max tow.
Agreed. If there's any difference at all, I bet Rubi and Max Tow have the same as each other and all others are common to each other.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. If there's any difference at all, I bet Rubi and Max Tow have the same as each other and all others are common to each other.
Like I’ve said before, manufacturers don’t like buying a bunch of slightly different/model-specific parts. It drives their manufacturing cost up, which they may, or may not, be able pass on to us. So it’s kind of a gamble. Typically, they use as many of the same parts from model-to-model as they can to save money.

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
The GCVWR of a vehicle is determined by a few things (simplifying here). The load capacity/strength of the "WEAKEST" driveline component, The weight of the vehicle subtracted from that amount, and the also how much tongue weight your trailer has (It will be weight on the truck springs), and possibly cargo capacity. About 1/2 the difference between Max Tow and Rubicon tow rating is weight. The Rubi is several hundred pounds heavier than the Sport S Max Tow. I would guess the other 1/2 comes from the softer springs on the Rubi, not rated for the Weight of the Rubi and the tongue weight of a 7650 lb trailer. which loaded correctly should be 765 lbs. The diffirence in brakes should not be that significant. Any towed load over ~3000 lbs should really have it's own brakes.. Wheres that factory brake controller, they should retro that to all the Max Tows.
Sponsored