Sponsored

Availability of Overland Campsites in SE U.S.

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Sienna,
Hey Folks. I'm just getting back into overlanding after a long break and wondering how things have changed here on the East Coast, particularly the Southeast states over the past 10 years or so. I grew up in GA, travelled/ lived out west, and now moved back to SC. So how difficult is it find an off-grid vehicle tent campsite on weekends or whenever in the national forests and other designated places? Seems like a more popular hobby now to stay off-grid. Especially with State park campgrounds raising their tent site prices. ($52 a night for a tent site.....Are you kidding me SC?) I never had any problems either here or out west finding a spot in the back 10 plus years, but things have definitely changed with the population increase in the SE and interest in camping. Would like to know anyone's experience lately in SC, TN, GA, FL, VA, NC, WV, AL, KY, etc... I just trying to plan off road trips with my wife and kids, but don't want to be stuck in a situation where we don't have a place to camp for the night. Thanks ya'll.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tank43

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not gone yet but plan to hit these in the spring, not sure if you've heard of them...
SCAR = https://scadventureroute.wixsite.com/website
Georgia Traverse = https://www.georgiaoverland.com/georgiatraverse.html
Thanks for the reply. I have indeed. I live 20 mins from the southern edge of the SCAR. So far I've done the first 100 miles or so here in the Francis Marion Forest. I went a few weeks after our late season hurricane and the mosquitos and horseflies were so bad you couldn't even roll down the windows. The forest service roads it follows are fairly well maintained, so not challenging but able to maintain a good pace. I hope to do some more of the route this spring as well. Bugs situation should be better then.

I've been watching some of the videos on YouTube of the GA traverse. I spent a lot of time up there in my younger days and looking forward to getting back to the mountains there.

OP
OP
Tank43

Tank43

First Name
Tank43
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)