Baja designs Squadron R Pro

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Great looking ride. I have the rock guards ordered , they haven’t got here yet . The #1 and #2 are 40 amp and #3 and #4 are 15 amp . I was told that they are 6.5 each and I could use the 3 or 4 switch with 15 amp would be ok. I’d save my 1 and 2 for something that draws more amp. Does that sound ok .
Nice, these trucks are great to customize. Usually you take the rating and add 20% for safety factor. I don't have huge plans but it's nice to know you can do a lot.
You should be OK using the 15A AUX. I put mine on AUX 1 because I don't have plans for anything else now and it's easy to just move it somewhere else. I put a standard connector on there which takes 15sec to disconnect.

I just used the Baja Harness because I know it's rated and made well. Also I can add more on that harness by simply purchasing a 1 into 2 extender.
Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Yes I left the Baja Harness Rocker switch in the ON position and then I control the lights via AUX 1 in the cabin. AUX 1 button gives power to the Baja Harness via AUX 1 wire that I crimped to the Baja Harness Positive (Red) Cable.

Lights are absolutely killer and put OEM to shame. I went with the spots only. I don't get any glare on the hood as some others have said about hood mounted lights. They probably didn't have the Bajas

signal-2021-11-24-210124_0021.jpeg
I put amber S1s on my wife’s JL and get glare. I will go with a larger set of Baja’s for my JT. Hopefully less glare.

I cut off the power switch and wired to Aux 4. I am considering cutting off the relay too.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
I put amber S1s on my wife’s JL and get glare. I will go with a larger set of Baja’s for my JT. Hopefully less glare.

I cut off the power switch and wired to Aux 4. I am considering cutting off the relay too.
You need to get SPOT pattern in order not to get glare, I think. Mine are spot Squadron.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t need the relay or anything. Wire the ground to a grounding point and the power to whichever Aux you chose. Done.
Just to add to what OnlyOne mentioned.

You don't need the relay as long as the Aux switch you choose can handle the current draw of the lights. Different Aux switches have different max current ratings, so just make sure you pick an Aux with a rating that exceeds the draw from BOTH slights.

Back in the old days of incandescent lights (200 watts for 2 lights) you needed relays. Now, not so much. Unless you are doing something truly huge.

And yes, grounding to the chassis/frame/engine is all you need.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the Squadron R draws 3 amps each. So you would need a switch that can handle 6 amps to avoid using a relay.

I'm just spit balling here. But one other option is to wire them in with the high beams. Since the Jeep wiring is designed to be able to handle ~65 watt incandescent high beams, you should be able to wire the driving lights right up off of the LED headlights.

If you have incandescent headlights, you should probably use the relay.

I've always wired my driving lights to come on with the high beams.

But now that I think about it you ordered amber lights, so I'm not sure if you want to be able to run them with your low beams.

But either way, wiring lights in with the high beams can be useful.
Sponsored